PDA

View Full Version : Robert Allen Bartlett - Real Alchemy

zoas23
05-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Have you read this book?

I am mostly beginning with practical alchemy and I wanted to check if one of the more advanced ones has been following this book and if it is worthy to follow its instructions or not.

My other option is John Reid's book.

Lapis Ignis
05-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Hi Zoas, I don't have this book but I have the other book by him and it is pretty good. The one I have is goes into the mineral works. If you are looking for a comprehensive line of study I STRONGLY suggest the Philosophers of Nature courses. You can get the complete set for $200.00. It includes : the fundamentals of esoteric knowledge 12 lessons, spagyrics 48 lessons, qabala 72 lessons, mineral Alchemy 84 lessons, plus a 4 volume set of papers discussing the acetate path that has a section by Bob Bartlett. The courses are well worth the price. I have them and the video tapes of a seminar dealing with the acetate path. Good stuff.

Nibiru
05-11-2012, 05:38 PM
I have both of Bartlett's books and I would say his second book, "Through The Crucible" is the better and more comprehensive of the two. I can't vouch for my own "advancement" though :)

zoas23
05-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Hi Zoas, I don't have this book but I have the other book by him and it is pretty good. The one I have is goes into the mineral works. If you are looking for a comprehensive line of study I STRONGLY suggest the Philosophers of Nature courses. You can get the complete set for $200.00. It includes : the fundamentals of esoteric knowledge 12 lessons, spagyrics 48 lessons, qabala 72 lessons, mineral Alchemy 84 lessons, plus a 4 volume set of papers discussing the acetate path that has a section by Bob Bartlett. The courses are well worth the price. I have them and the video tapes of a seminar dealing with the acetate path. Good stuff.

Nice. I'd love to be able to read it. Because of political reasons this is quite hard.

Which one is the format of this course? (i.e, is it something that they send by e-mail? Is it a CD with archives? Is it a book or printed papers?)

Because of political reasons I can't send money abroad because I don't have the permission from the government (yeah... in Argentina the silly government decided that they have to give a special permission for each time someone wants to send money aborad... and I am unable to get that permission).

Whilst if I could find someone who can get that special permission, I am still unable to receive snail mail from aborad that contains something of value.
(Been trying to organize here a small movie festival of Hermetic Films and I have been unable to do it because... the DVDs that were sent bounced at the Argentinean customs).

God know I hate this government. I really don't expect much more right now from a government than the right to buy and receive books from abroad... a right I currently do not have. And, in short, I can only buy what the local bookstores decide to import (the good thing is that I already have a huge bibliotheque since most of my money was always used for books... if I didn't, I would be getting crazy, even though I am feeling quite depressed because of this political idiocy that the government has done. I really feel as if I was in jail).

Which one is the format of this course? I will try to talk to local Alchimists, because maybe someone has bought it some time ago, before we had these political restrictions.
I'd like to know about the format (a CD, a book, prineted papers?) because it will be easier to find if I know what I am trying to find.
Thanks.

zoas23
05-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Nice. I'd love to be able to read it. Because of political reasons this is quite hard.

Which one is the format of this course? (i.e, is it something that they send by e-mail? Is it a CD with archives? Is it a book or printed papers?)

Because of political reasons I can't send money abroad because I don't have the permission from the government (yeah... in Argentina the silly government decided that they have to give a special permission for each time someone wants to send money aborad... and I am unable to get that permission).

Whilst if I could find someone who can get that special permission, I am still unable to receive snail mail from aborad that contains something of value.
(Been trying to organize here a small movie festival of Hermetic Films and I have been unable to do it because... the DVDs that were sent bounced at the Argentinean customs).

God know I hate this government. I really don't expect much more right now from a government than the right to buy and receive books from abroad... a right I currently do not have. And, in short, I can only buy what the local bookstores decide to import (the good thing is that I already have a huge bibliotheque since most of my money was always used for books... if I didn't, I would be getting crazy, even though I am feeling quite depressed because of this political idiocy that the government has done. I really feel as if I was in jail).

Which one is the format of this course? I will try to talk to local Alchimists, because maybe someone has bought it some time ago, before we had these political restrictions.
I'd like to know about the format (a CD, a book, prineted papers?) because it will be easier to find if I know what I am trying to find.
Thanks.

I have both of Bartlett's books and I would say his second book, "Through The Crucible" is the better and more comprehensive of the two. I can't vouch for my own "advancement" though :)

Nibiru! Did you receive the e-mail I sent you 2 days ago (or maybe yesterday) about the photos? I am worried that maybe the e-mail bounced again.... LOL, sorry for asking about it here!

Nibiru
05-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Yes, I can try and have everything to you by the end of the weekend. If you need it quicker, please let me know and I'll try and get it to you sooner. I'm sorry I've procrastinated this long..

Andro
05-11-2012, 06:23 PM

I may have some stuff that can be transferred via email or skype or any file transfer site for larger files.

What I have is a comprehensive course by Jean Dubois, 5 volumes in PDF format (all zipped to less than 100 mega), and the content list is extremely similar to what you have described.

If this is what you are interested in, we can arrange a web based file-transfer (if you wish).

zoas23
05-11-2012, 06:42 PM
I may have some stuff that can be transferred via email or skype or any file transfer site for larger files.

What I have is a comprehensive course by Jean Dubois, 5 volumes in PDF format (all zipped to less than 100 mega), and the content list is extremely similar to what you have described.

If this is what you are interested in, we can arrange a web based file-transfer (if you wish).

Yes, I am sending you a private message with my e-mail. Thanks a lot!

MarkostheGnostic
05-11-2012, 07:52 PM
A peek: http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Way_of_the_Crucible.html?id=GygrNFr4g3cC
Better yet perhaps: http://ebookee.org/Robert-Bartlett-quot-The-Way-of-the-Crucible-quot-_244208.html

thoth
05-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Have you read this book?

I am mostly beginning with practical alchemy and I wanted to check if one of the more advanced ones has been following this book and if it is worthy to follow its instructions or not.

My other option is John Reid's book.

Hi Zoas
I read both his books. Well woth reading. I think it's well worth while reading some modern books as well as the "ancient ones". Along similar lines would be Brian Cotnoir, Denis William Hauck " alchemy for dummies" and mark Stavish " The path of alchemy", and I assume you already have frater Albertus "handbook of alchemy

I plan to get the PON course as well

Krisztian
05-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Bartlett, John Reid, Brian Cotnoir are great; Jack Glass and Russ House, I find their work to be well-rounded, and part of the original group of alchemists under the guidance of Frater Albertus. American alchemist Jack Glass is especially knowledgable on the vegetable realm. Mark Stavish, I find his approach quite refined, his explanations are richly layered in spirituality, as well as, he seems to have superior insight in simplifying (but not butchering) his approach to practical alchemy; he is well-versed in using kabbala-system as the framework.

There's an alchemist in Toronto, Canada by the name of James Collins who's also quite experienced in both the vegetable and metal kingdoms. If you e-mail him, he'll be more than happy to help.

Dubuis is in a league of his own.

Roger Caro is a legend.

I get the sense that those that actually made the Philosopher's Stone are very private; they prefer to blend into the crowd. For majority of the alchemical work (i.e., vegetable stone, etc.) resources are available. For more serious work, those that mastered it, prefer strict anonymity!

thoth
05-12-2012, 07:17 PM
I had not come across Jack Glass before. I will have a look. I plan to fork out the for the PON material.

I agree James Collins very good. Sometimes the authors listed have different variations of processes, but I think Collins often has more detail. I think he studied the PON also
http://alchymie.ca/aboutme.htm

Krisztian
05-13-2012, 06:29 PM
thoth: I found American alchemist Jack Glass the most informative of the group that studied under Frater Albertus, in Parcelsus College. His explanations are also profound-yet-pratical, I believe he fully mastered the vegetable kingdom. He's also humourous. He regularly held workshops in the States, some parts of Canada; was hand-picked by the inner group of the Rosicrucian Order to teach alchemy. He has passed on. If you can get some video recordings, then you're a foretunate man.

thoth
05-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the advice Krisztian, I will definitely try to get hold of his material. Frater Albertus was the first book on Alchemy which I got all those years ago

Lapis Ignis
05-14-2012, 03:52 AM
There is a 2 dvd set featuring Jack Glass and Russ House at triad-publishing dealing with the herbal path.

Krisztian
05-22-2012, 02:15 AM
There is a 2 dvd set featuring Jack Glass and Russ House at triad-publishing dealing with the herbal path.

I own that set by Triad Publishing. It's worth the purchase.

There's some practical wisdom in-between their demonstrations and interactions with the audience. You know, thoth, some things you just can't learn from reading books. Public demonstrations, workshops, seminars, etc. sometimes have more to offer. Jack Glass is one of my favorite personage in the modern alchemy movement because he approaches the Royal Art with humour and wisdom.

thoth
05-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Yes, it can be such a serious subject at times, it's nice to have a bit of humour. I think it was Frater Albertus or was he quoting somone, that said you shouldn't keep your bow taught all the time :)

I plan to get the Jack Glass videos when I'm back home.

Krisztian
05-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Yes, it can be such a serious subject at times, it's nice to have a bit of humour. I think it was Frater Albertus or was he quoting somone, that said you shouldn't keep your bow taught all the time :)

Yes, that's a good one! I found that in my lab work if I don't have a sense of lightheartedness then I'll go crazy. I wouldn't be able to survive all of my failures. And, god only knows I've had more than my share. (A serious practitioner would never survive; would get consumed by his or her failures.)