PDA

View Full Version : Bulwer-Lytton's Zanoni

Krisztian
05-20-2012, 01:38 AM
Have others read the Rosicrucian classic, Zanoni? What do we think, is it a fictional tale or is it reality-based?

True Initiate
05-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Zanoni is based on classical Grimoires like the Sacred Magic of Abramelin. The invocation of Holy Guardian Angel is taken directly from this book. Lytton calls him Adonai in 'Zanoni,' Abramelin calls him Holy Guardian Angel.

Another interesting fiction based on Grimoires is The Comte De Gabalis by Abbé N. de Montfaucon de Villars
http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/cdg/index.htm

thoth
06-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Hi, I read Zanoni years ago after seeing it listed in the bibliography of W.E. Butler "The magician, his training and work" well worth reading itself. I had limited knowledge of alchemy at the time, but do remember a few interesting references to the subject.

Steve Richards also talks about Bulwer Lyton in his book "Invisibilty", he was apparently a member of some of the magical groups of the time - The golden dawn I'd imagine. Richards gives the investing story Lyton thought he was invisible and came down to the kitchen to grab some food but the svants all saw him like the day he was born :)

Krisztian
12-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Steve Richards also talks about Bulwer-Lyton in his book "Invisibility"

Have you attempted some of the suggestions from Richards' Invisibility? I've played around with it; I'm interested to know whether you did so as well, any worth mentioning results?

Thanks.

thoth
12-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Hi Krisztian,

I was very interested in the idea of the cloud, from an alchemy perspective as well to do with light. I thought it could be related to the Spiritus Mundi.

I did spend some time trying the cloud visualistaion but did not get any results. I tried mostly for about a month. I do have strong visulaistaion, but do not have any kind of ability to see auras. One of the important steps was to rotate the cloud in the corret direction - one way condensed it , the other expnaded it.
Did you manage to get anywhere with it ?

You might also be interested in this channelled book. Its the only other place I have seen the cloud mentioned. He /she does devote a whole chapter to it. It might throw some more light on it -pun inteded :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/INTERMEDIATE-STUDIES-ALCHEM-Saint-Germain/dp/0916766012/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355101680&sr=1-2

Krisztian
12-10-2012, 02:22 AM
I was very interested in the idea of the cloud, from an alchemy perspective as well to do with light. I thought it could be related to the Spiritus Mundi. I did spend some time trying the cloud visualistaion but did not get any results. I tried mostly for about a month. I do have strong visulaistaion, but do not have any kind of ability to see auras. One of the important steps was to rotate the cloud in the corret direction - one way condensed it , the other expnaded it. Did you manage to get anywhere with it ?

I played around with the cloud (under dimmer light conditions); but I didn't think much of it. I was heavily involved with something else (at the time) so I sort of brushed it aside. Maybe I shouldn't have.

Believe it or not, the main reason I asked was - firstly - for curiosity of course, but also secondly because three days ago, the book came across my attention and looked into several chapters again. So when you mentioned the title, I figured to further explore it.

You might also be interested in this channelled book. Its the only other place I have seen the cloud mentioned. He /she does devote a whole chapter to it. It might throw some more light on it -pun inteded :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/INTERMEDIATE-STUDIES-ALCHEM-Saint-Germain/dp/0916766012/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355101680&sr=1-2

Thoth, I will check into the book you suggested. I mean this in the most humble sense when I say I rarely see a book related to the occult that I haven't seen or read, but in this occasion I have to confess ignorance. Thank you! I appreciate it.

Bel Matina
12-10-2012, 03:12 AM
I haven't read the book, or delved terribly deeply into cloud symbolism, but I'll point out that clouds are water that's risen to persist in the air. Also that clouds are cold, versus steam or humid air.

zoas23
12-10-2012, 03:51 AM
I haven't read the book, or delved terribly deeply into cloud symbolism, but I'll point out that clouds are water that's risen to persist in the air. Also that clouds are cold, versus steam or humid air.

"The Cloud upon the Sanctuary" by Karl Von Eckartshausen is a good book.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/cuts/index.htm

Krisztian
12-10-2012, 04:54 AM

That's interesting Bel Matina your comment of 'clouds are cold'. During this technique (suggested by Richards in Invisibility), there seems to be a curtain of sort, that's neither humid nor steam-like that envelops the object one intends on concealing. I can't recall it all, it's been well-over 12 years since 'my last play'. But I do remember that cold sensation when the cloud was actually forming. I couldn't make it however stable.

Thanks.

thoth
12-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Hi Kristian,

I'm glad to be able to offer something. I think you will get something from it. I normally react against books with religious vibes, but I think its only on the surface with this book. It was in fact the very first book on "alchemy" I ever read all those years ago, and it did stike a chord with me, and maybe ignited a solar something.....

I am often chasing this book around the house and for now its hiding on me. You can also see it here as a compilation of 3 books - its the "intermediate" one that refers o the cloud.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/62885596/St-Germain-On-Alchemy

I do wonder if Richards was leaving something out, with the formation of the cloud. Maybe its like Androgynous was suggesting about :

"Androgynous - "One thing I would suggest to keep in mind, is that our goal is to stir the Ćther/Spirit into manifestation, and subsequently catch/fix it."""

Btw Richards also wrote "levitation" also very interesting, but his other book "Guide to the astral plane" I did not find that good