PDA

View Full Version : Search Function

Illen A. Cluf
05-30-2012, 12:42 AM
I was attempting a search of the threads and wondered if there is any way of searching the pages within a particular thread?

For example, I was searching for "clay" and came up with a list of a a number of different threads that contained the word. The problem is that some of these threads have over 40 pages of discussion and there seems to be no indication which of the pages inside the thread contains the words.

Is there any way of determining which pages of any particular thread the word is located on (i.e. a search within a long thread?)? It seems impractical to search through each of numerous pages (sometimes over 40 pages) on a number of different threads.

Thanks for any help,
Illen

zoas23
05-30-2012, 02:59 AM
it's hard to beat google.

if you write:
site:forum.alchemyforums.com clay
in google's search bar, then you'll get the links to the pages that metnion the word clay, but the links will lead you to the page in which it's mentioned.
If you remember more words, of course, you'll have less results and it will be even easier. i.e,
site:forum.alchemyforums.com clay dew

And once you are in the page, then you can use the Find Function of firefox (it's "apple key" and "f" at the same time in Macs... and I think it's "CTRL" and "f" at the same time in PCs). and write the word and go directly to the word.

Illen A. Cluf
05-30-2012, 03:21 AM
it's hard to beat google.

if you write:
site:forum.alchemyforums.com clay
in google's search bar, then you'll get the links to the pages that metnion the word clay, but the links will lead you to the page in which it's mentioned.
If you remember more words, of course, you'll have less results and it will be even easier. i.e,
site:forum.alchemyforums.com clay dew

And once you are in the page, then you can use the Find Function of firefox (it's "apple key" and "f" at the same time in Macs... and I think it's "CTRL" and "f" at the same time in PCs). and write the word and go directly to the word.

Thanks for the great suggestion, Zoas! It's ironic that it's easier to find a reference in the forum threads from outside the forum than within it :-)

Illen

zoas23
05-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Google is truly an evil corporation...
... but, yeah, they have earned billions and bilions simply because it's quite impossible to beat google when it comes to searching for anything on the internet.

Andro
05-30-2012, 02:36 PM
The search function works quite well, especially if you use Advanced Search (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/search.php).

The only problem is that it only goes back to when the entire forum was upgraded to a newer version of vBulletin (don't remember exactly when it was).

Unfortunately, posts/topics before the upgrade can not be searched.

But sure, we can search with Google - I sure won't go back to the good/evil debate :)

Many times when you look at Who's Online (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/online.php) you can see Google spiders (as well as Yahoo and others) hard at work, probing the forums :)

Illen A. Cluf
05-30-2012, 04:12 PM
The search function works quite well, especially if you use Advanced Search (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/search.php).

Hi Androgynus,

Even with the advanced search function, one runs into the same problem. It will provide a list oif threads wherein the search word is located, but does not distinguish which of numerous pages within that thread it is located. Some threads are 38 pages long, so you would have to open each page separately, search for the word, and then go to the next page. You would have to do this for each thread, so you could end up searching individually through hundreds of pages.

The Yahoo function identifies the actual page it is on, or combines many pages together, so you only have to search through it once.

Illen

Andro
05-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Yes, Illen...

It always worked fine for me (search words highlighted, etc...), but I agree that external search engines work better.

Maybe I should check if we can incorporate such an external engine into the forum, as I've seen on other websites.

But I'm not sure about that, since this forum is privately funded by dev & contributors and therefore also add-free, and sometimes incorporating an external engine may require extra cash or adds - but I'm not really sure.

The main thing that bothered me was not being able to search before the upgrade date, but you bring up other good points as well.

Lots of information is gathered here, and maybe we can find a way to improve the search functions internally.

I will look into this.

Andro
05-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Meanwhile I found this: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=266520

And this vBulletin forum already has the function incorporated (scroll down): http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin

It also has ads, but I'm not sure if they're related...

Andro
05-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Meanwhile, here's an option to make on-site searches more focused:

Once you get the list of threads containing the word(s) you were searching for, you can go to any of the threads and use the Search Thread function (top right, next to 'Rate This Thread'), with the exact same search word(s).

If you do this, only the specific/relevant posts will show up (so there's no need to browse the entire thread).

I hope this helps for now.

Illen A. Cluf
05-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Meanwhile, here's an option to make on-site searches more focused:

Once you get the list of threads containing the word(s) you were searching for, you can go to any of the threads and use the Search Thread function (top right, next to 'Rate This Thread'), with the exact same search word(s).

If you do this, only the specific/relevant posts will show up (so there's no need to browse the entire thread).

I hope this helps for now.

Awesome find, Androgynus! I gave it a try and it works perfectly! I'm not sure how I missed that function earlier.

Illen

Awani
06-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Google search function added at the top of the forums. The only place I could put it.

Downside is that it comes with ads or we have to pay 100 dollars extra every year. But there is ads only when we search, so they are easily ignored. Try the search and see if you all like it. I think it works ok.

:cool:

Andro
06-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks, great!

I use Firefox with the 'Adblock Plus' extension, so I don't see ANY ads. Same with Safari.

Awani
06-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Depending on the browser you are using the search box is situated to the right or left and is either big or small... can't seem to get it to look the same in all browsers. I will try and sort this out for the future, but at the moment the important thing is that it works. So now you can all search easily the forums with google-power. Try it out.

horticult
06-02-2012, 11:32 AM
with secret formula in google:

paracelsus site:http://forum.alchemyforums.com

you can spare your funds
paracelsus = what are you searching

Illen A. Cluf
06-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Depending on the browser you are using the search box is situated to the right or left and is either big or small... can't seem to get it to look the same in all browsers. I will try and sort this out for the future, but at the moment the important thing is that it works. So now you can all search easily the forums with google-power. Try it out.

This works great, Dev! Thanks for taking the time to implement this utility. Much appreciated!

Illen

Awani
10-05-2013, 06:19 PM
The custom google search is not working at the moment, I think this is because google has to index alchemy forums all over again (because the url of the threads are a bit different than before) and that make take a few days (don't know how long). So we just have to wait and see if the searches improve.

Andro
10-05-2013, 06:24 PM
The custom google search is not working at the moment

But it certainly looks great :)

(Better positioned than before, at least in Firefox...)

Illen A. Cluf
10-05-2013, 07:03 PM
The custom google search is not working at the moment, I think this is because google has to index alchemy forums all over again (because the url of the threads are a bit different than before) and that make take a few days (don't know how long). So we just have to wait and see if the searches improve.

That's odd, because I used it last night, and it seemed to work fine.

Andro
10-05-2013, 07:17 PM
That's odd, because I used it last night, and it seemed to work fine.

I just tried it now, and it works fine. I typed "Antimony" L:)L.

Awani
10-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Yeah it is working better now. I noticed it sometimes bring up to results of the same thing. One goes to the thread the other goes to a non-existant thread (the one with the old URL). So these old URL threads will be gone when the google spiders notice they are not visited anymore, I think.

Illen A. Cluf
10-06-2013, 06:05 PM
I just tried it now, and it works fine. I typed "Antimony" L:)L.

Bringing up 105 results!!