PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Ethanol with Vegetables

Ilos
06-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Hi,
I was wondering If I could use ethanol for practicing with the vegetables by the easy way to perform elixir.
I would like from someone to inform me a bit more about this if possible and If not will Vodka 50% be enough to make good elixir from vegetables.
Thank you.

Susu
06-03-2012, 01:20 AM
The alcohol is the Spirit, which is universal in the plant kingdom, so you should be able to use it for just about any plants you plan on making the elixir. A lot of people feel that the spirits of grape or wine would have a greater effect but if just starting out any "potable" alcohol should suffice. A higher percent alcohol would work best if you plan on calcinating the bulk remains, otherwise it won't ignite as well due to most of it being water. Try to get it as close to 190 proof if you can. You can always distill the Vodka to get a higher yield but would require a lot more Vodka.

Which plant are you using?

MarkostheGnostic
06-03-2012, 06:54 AM
Plants can be fermented (sugar probably needs to be added) to yield Philosophical Mercury (Ethanol), or they can have their Philosophic Mercury extracted using ethanol that has been fermented from red grape wine and distilled (7) times, or rectified after at least (3) distillations and with Tarter (Potassium carbonate) added to absorb residual water. Manfred Junius says not to "mineralize" the Philosophical mercury with Tartar, Mark Stavish says it can be done. Of course, this is for making a spagyric elixir, not a decoction or a tincture. Ethanol for spagyrics should come from red grape wine. Tinctures can be made from another Ethanol source, and decoctions from water. I agree with Susu about the strength. I need to work on it, because my Ethanol from red wine registered only 162% on the hydrometer. Pure Ethanol is hydroscopic and draws water right from the air.

Ilos
06-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Hey, thanks guys for replying to mu question. I actually haven't distilled any of the recourses mention above, what I did was I bought a 96% alcohol Aethanolum conc. thats what it says on its cover so I used it with Rosemary plant I waited two weeks mixing it everyday of course, after I separated the body from the spirit it seemed gray like all its color got split from it, than i put the the body on a dish to burn it like it said on the book and the result was black ash which it kinda made me sad cus I was hoping for some white powder. Im not sure why that happened or if it suppose to turn out that way maybe I made a mistake somewhere or maybe the spirit wasn't adequate for making elixirs, or maybe I haven't grounded it well e.c. Anyway Im just a newbe trying to learn the masters art thanks I appreciate any reply from you guys.

MarkostheGnostic
06-03-2012, 06:02 PM
No matter how long one Calcines the residuum from a burnt plant, some ash never lightens. Some people insist on extremely high heat for long periods, but then, like coal residue (clinkers), you may fuse the salts in such a way as to make them unrecoverable. The Salt can be recovered from the ash by mixing with distilled water, into which the Salt dissolves (Solutio). Then, filter (Separatio)the carbon out using a funnel with filter paper (even coffee filters work). The water and Salt can be poured into a glass baking dish and evaporated, revealing the Salt when dry. It can be scraped up with a razor blade.Or one can use laboratory watch glasses, porcelain evaporating dishes, and a small spatula.

Mark Stavish writes that when little Salt is recovered, one can add sea salt to increase the volume (if one is making a Plant Stone, for example).

Ilos
08-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks Markos/Susu,
I have another question, consider me not having any distillation apparatus. Would it be possible after i calcine the plant with heat, to pour the whole ash in a dish, mix it with a bit of alcohol than to filter it in another dish, and light a match and let the alcohol evaporate. Would that leave me a few salt on the dish after the evaporation of the alcohol or will the salt evaporate to, or will the black ash dissolve and still remain mixed with the salt after evaporating the alcohol. I know maybe I should try this by myself to see it with my own eyes, tho Id thought of asking first before spoiling anything..
Thank you.

Ezalor
09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
You have to use (distilled) water, not alcohol. You already dissolved the alcohol-soluble parts during the first phase. What remains (salt) is non-soluble in alcohol*, that is why you use distilled water. It is two different forms of extraction.

So you use as-close-to-pure-as-possible (95+ %) alcohol first to extract alcohol soluble parts as much as possible, then you use as-close-to-pure-as-possible water (distilled water) to extract water soluble parts as much as possible.

For the evaporation, you don't use a distillation apparatus, that's a different thing. If you don't have proper lab equipment, then anything should work that
- does not react with chemicals (glass, porcelain - NOT metal!)
- endures heating
- is such a shape that you can easily access the bottom to scrape the salts. In other words, an open top and flat bottom.

My idea: get one of those glass baking dishes, like this:
They are made of a special glass that is heat, fire AND CHEMICAL resistant. Should be perfect! Then put it into your oven on a low temperature, without a cover, and wait until it "dries out". Though you should try to get as small one as possible, because the greater the surface the more salt gets wasted during the process.

* You can try this out: put some table salt in some strong alcohol, and it won't dissolve.