PDA

View Full Version : My first distillation array

Axismundi000
06-06-2012, 02:05 AM
This is just a couple pics so that if I ask a NOOB question at least people here will know I am sincere and genuine.

http://s1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg603/Axismundi000/

Ghislain
06-06-2012, 05:06 AM
NOOB questions :) I like that...all questions are good one way or another.

I hope you don't mind, but I brought your pics linked in post 1 into the thread.

If you would rather they not be posted here I'm sure they can be removed.

Click on pic for larger image.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg603/Axismundi000/th_Alchemy3.jpg (http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg603/Axismundi000/Alchemy3.jpg)http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg603/Axismundi000/th_Alchemy.jpg (http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg603/Axismundi000/Alchemy.jpg)

Ghislain

Andro
06-06-2012, 05:41 AM
This is just a couple pics so that if I ask a NOOB question at least people here will know I am sincere and genuine.

Are you sure you mean NOOB and not NEWB ?

From UrbanDictionary.com (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=noob):

Contrary to the belief of many, a NOOB and a newbie/NEWB are not the same thing.

NEWBS are those who are new to some task [...] but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage.

N00BS, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own.

So please feel free to ask any NEWB questions you may have :)

For starters, it would be nice to hear what kind of work you are planning to do with your first distillation apparatus...

Axismundi000
06-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Thankyou for posting the pictures Ghislain, I found it too fiddley to reduce size of the jpg's to load onto the forum.

Being a NEWB rather then a NOOB is preferable to me Androgynus. I was unaware of the distinction, thankyou.

My precise course of work is not firmly decided yet, I am still collecting ingredients and getting the hang of the lab gear. Spagyrics and dew/salt are my are front runners at present. When I achieve a more precise plan I hope those more sagacious here on the forum will choose to comment, criticise and advise.

Susu
06-07-2012, 03:08 AM
Looks good with a better setup than mine. A tip I learned in my Organic Chemistry class is to wrap your heating flask with foil to retain the heat.

guthrie
06-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Looks good and stable. You might find that the gas burner is a little hot for a lot of distillations you might do, unless you can turn it right down.

zoas23
06-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Looks good and stable. You might find that the gas burner is a little hot for a lot of distillations you might do, unless you can turn it right down.

Some friends of mine and I have been using these:
http://www.masoportunidades.com.ar/aviso/5380008-calentador-electrico-de-mesa-para-camping-oficina-es-nuevo-disponible-en-bs-as-gba-zona-oeste

http://repositorio2.masoportunidades.com.ar/ARG01/136/28/10158432/fotos//10158432_3_201127_20_41_29.jpg

I ignore the English name... it's a very cheap electric heater made in china. It costs $4 (dollars) in most shops here.
The only trick is to replace the two screws it has for bronze screws (the original ones may cause a short circuit after seveal hours).

It's not an electric mantle, but it works quite well.... and it's cheap in an absurd way.

MarkostheGnostic
06-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Regardless, flame should not contact the glass directly. There should be a ceramic-coated screen under the boiling flask (which, ideally means that a flat bottom boiling flask should be used, because a round or elliptical bottom (this looks like a Kjeldahl flask) will only touch the tip of the screen. Flame directly on glass is an accident waiting to happen. An oil, ash, or sand bath may also be used (just as ancient alchemists did). One could eventually get a small electric heat mantle and fill the space not filled by the elliptical flask with sand, but for now, even a square of steel mesh would be safer than direct flame. ALWAYS WEAR GOGGLES!

It looks like there is a port for a thermometer on what looks like a Kjeldahl trap. Very important because very useful. For distilling Philosophical Mercury from red wine, for example, one does not want to exceed 78 degrees C., or one will begin to get distilled water (100* C.) along with the ethanol, and spagyrics already asks for ethanol to be distilled 7X. You'll be distilling for twice that number if you don't watch the temperature.

Axismundi000
06-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the tip about foil Suzu, an obviously good idea but only after you mention it!

Guthrie, zoas23, MarcostheGnostic. My sincere thanks for your valuable advice and suggestions. A better heat source and appropriate thermometer are clearly needed.

I am learning a lot of important stuff from being in this forum already.

D.Trout
06-24-2012, 04:08 PM
That's why I love this place. Great advice and assistance for people just starting their exploration, and one of the ONLY places I've found that manages to distill some potential truth from all of the rampant bullshit out there.

I need to add some pics of my lab setup as well, and where I'm going with it.

All the best, AM!

Krisztian
06-24-2012, 05:36 PM

When distilling alcohol, keep temperatures between 76 to 80 Celsius. 1st run, set point to 80. 2nd round to 78 Celsius. Then, 3rd distillation lower it to 76 Celsius. You'll have a rather strong spirit.

I found that water-in-a-large-pot (heating it on any stove-top) helps with preventing 'overshoot' issues, slow rising of temperature doesn't burn spirit, no direct contact either. OR, treat yourself to a Glas-Col DigiTrol II! That's the most dedicated apprentice one will ever have, one that never sleeps while watching the 'open fire', so to speak. Almost all heating mantles are 'time phased', the DigiTrol ll isn't. I can distill alcohol for, say, 20 hours straight [with auto tune] at the precise temperature of, say, 77.93 without drop off or swinging temperatures. Please don't buy expensive heating mantle that's time phased! (If you're serious, and you follow alchemy for a lifetime, early smart investments will pay off).

Be patient. That's the best equipment one has.

/

My other humble suggestion is more about the approach to al-kemi. (A) Say a prayer before starting any experiment. If it's not your own, just use Hauck's Alchemist's Prayer. (B) Clean yourself before any operation; I use Qi-gong daily, not just for my energy levels, but also to purify our body's biosphere. Without the two suggestions, alchemy looks more like vulgar chemistry void of spirit and heart. Furthermore, you won't make any progress, no matter of the sophisticated equipment or experienced knowledge, after a certain point.

Axismundi000
06-24-2012, 05:56 PM
If you learn anything new D.Trout do mention it.

You make some very valid points Krisztian thankyou. As a ritual magickian I am looking to integrate Alchemy and Magick into 1 praxis. Ritual work produces contact with certain entities which is informing my overall research.

This and the insightfull comments people are kind enough to give on this forum are very important as I struggle with this new displine of Alchemy.

Krisztian
06-24-2012, 06:39 PM
As a ritual magickian I am looking to integrate Alchemy and Magick into 1 praxis. Ritual work produces contact with certain entities which is informing my overall research.This and the insightfull comments people are kind enough to give on this forum are very important as I struggle with this new displine of Alchemy.

I think that's a recipe for longevity in alchemy. I believe Dubuis was able to go farther because he also used in his system 'contact' with the Other Side. Good for you.

Krisztian
06-27-2012, 08:14 PM
If you learn anything new D.Trout do mention it. You make some very valid points Krisztian thankyou. As a ritual magickian I am looking to integrate Alchemy and Magick into 1 praxis. Ritual work produces contact with certain entities which is informing my overall research.This and the insightfull comments people are kind enough to give on this forum are very important as I struggle with this new displine of Alchemy.

Something that I wanted to add, if it doesn't fit for you than please don't follow; but for myself I have kept my laboratory experiments according to the movements of the moon, specifically, with the help of, Llewellyn's Moon Sign Book. I follow mainly the waxing and waning phases; each compliments certain alchemical operations. I do have to say, it does seem to influence the tinctures in terms of energy, and build up of. Or, when to distill.

Others will say and think, no doubt, I'm superstition, but I guess we all have to follow what fits for us. It's your call.

thoth
06-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Hi
Some easy for beginners to miss is - pressure build up in a closed distillation setup, which can result in explosion of of your glassware.
The best thing to do is use some kind of vacum joint to allow pressure to dissipate.

Or at the very least don't attach reciever flask until the first one or two drops have distilled over.

Check out the recommend reading threads

http://orgchem.colorado.edu/Technique/Equipment/Rxnglass/Vacadaptor.html

Axismundi000
06-28-2012, 02:06 AM
Krisztian

In my opinion your observations about moon phase are extremely relevant.

The relatively recent publication of Picatrix in English shows how the moon and astrology in general is most pertinant to Alchemical and also Ritual Magick operations.

I feel that you are wondering what my 'angle of approach' is within Alchemy which is a perfectly reasonable thing to encourage dialogue about.

Obviously a lot of what I am exploring is still in it's formative phase and I prefer to not be specific for that reason.

However I can suggest the following idea: The late Israel Regardie wrote a book called how to make and use Talismans, this book is not directly relevant to Alchemy. The small part that is relevant I feel is where he argues that if a person has an unfavourable planetary position in the natal chart, they can consecrate an appropriate planetary talisman to balance or compensate.

Could it by be possible to produce planetary or elemental effects through ritual magick, on the alchemical substances and processes? This is essentialy where I am coming from and it is definately nothing new. There is no doubt in my mind that the 'pure Alchemist' can achieve the great work. A magickian can also bring they're existing magick skill-set to the lab and my research strongly indicates that this has definately occured from time to time.

An important point here is that doing so (applying ritual magic to alchemy), is not even faintly a short-cut. Even if ritual magick application facilitates processes (a big assumption), the necessary magickal techniques require many years of effort to achieve. Rather then, it is a way for me to bring all my ritual magic efforts to the Alchemy lab in the humble hope that they will be found pleasing to the Highest Divine Providence.

thoth; thankyou for your valuable observation about how to ameliorate pressure build-up.

I am rather emotionally moved by the genuine helpfull advice and discussion people give on this forum, which I suspect in other commercial chemistry situations people would charge money for providing.

MarkostheGnostic
06-28-2012, 03:26 AM
No doubt a good choice, but I prefer a better guarantee than a "no returns" statement from eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glas-Col-DigiTrol-II-Temperature-Controller-/330752724295?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d02660d47#ht_2842wt_1332

Krisztian
07-01-2012, 01:54 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that the 'pure Alchemist' can achieve the great work.

I guess that word 'pure' is the key word. Alchemy is not meant to be an intellectual pursuit; it can be if it's for entertainment purposes only. I see that we hold the same lens to this Royal Art.

Axismundi000
07-02-2012, 02:53 AM
Agreed :)

It seems I have made the first step correctly, the journey has just begun.

Krisztian
07-02-2012, 03:05 AM
Agreed :)

It seems I have made the first step correctly, the journey has just begun.

It sure has. Happy to have you here!

Axismundi000
10-21-2012, 04:15 PM
So now I have finally bought a heating mantle which will reduce the chance of the flask cracking. Thankyou MarkostheGnostic for your advice and suggestions.

Soon the trial runs and collecting together of equipment will be complete.

MarkostheGnostic
10-26-2012, 07:47 PM
You're welcome Axismundi000!