PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all

MoonQueen
06-10-2012, 01:48 PM
....hate these intro posts.... :p

A Witch seeking spiritual enlightenment, have crossed many references to alchemy and started researching more deeply a few days ago. This is the next step on the path.

Looking forward to participating here as the journey continues to unfold.

solomon levi
06-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Greetings MoonQueen, and welcome!
Look forward to a Wiccan perspective. :)
Is it fair/accurate to associate a Witch with wicca??
What kind of craft do you practice, if I may ask? Elemental?
I don't want to assume what a Witch means to you.

MoonQueen
06-11-2012, 04:08 AM
Thank you Solomon. Yes it is acceptable to associate Wicce and Witch if one has an understanding of the etymology behind the words.

I stumbled across this source a while back:

http://www.somersetpagan.org/dem_wicce.htm
This Anglo-Saxon English language, which began its plunge toward extinction in 1066 when Saxon England fell to the Norman Conquest, has a bearing on witchcraft, for it contained the words wicce and wicca. Like many European languages, with modern English being a rare exception, Old English had masculine, feminine and neutral grammatical gender (like German, for instance, where der garten "the garden" is masculine, die stadt "the city" is feminine and das dorf "the village" is neuter) and wicce is the feminine form while wicca is masculine. The double "c" in Anglo-Saxon was pronounced as our modern "ch" (only single "c" was pronounced as a "k") which means that wicce and wicca were pronounced as "witchë" and "witch-a". These words are the origin of the modern word "witch", so that our word Wicca (which we choose to pronounce as "wikka") actually means "witch", and the Anglo-Saxon term for the skills (cræft) practiced by a witch, wicce-cræft, produced the modern English term "witchcraft".Basically Gerald Gardner took the historical word Wiccan, mashed it together with the old teachings and evolved it into the currently recognised "religion" and (my opinion) defused a great number of misperceptions and some of the fear associated with witchcraft and those practicing it..... ironically it is still the same thing and there is still a long way to go to gain wider acceptance of our practices.... halfway out of the "broom closet" so to speak, my closest friends and some of my family know but otherwise I keep my spiritual beliefs and practices private.

I have had contact with some Druids and their ways are similar but far much more secretive.

My path is eclectic and elemental for the most part ~ I work with whatever I need to at the time of performing ritual, dragons and angels generally. I prefer to invoke rather than evoke, but that is partly due to lack of experience in evoking. I follow the Egyptian pantheon ~ Sekhmet is my patron Goddess and Thoth my patron God. I really don't like doing most of the spells / low magick that is generally associated with witchcraft and prefer to only call upon the higher powers in extremis. The three-fold rule is one that I deeply respect.

It has been interesting reading posts by other members on this board and recognising many correspondences between alchemical philosophy / lore and what I have been doing intuitively in my eclectic fashion.... I am pushing personal boundaries at the moment ~ I am challenging myself on everything that I previously thought I knew and believed.

I know that I know nothing. :)

solomon levi
06-11-2012, 05:29 AM
Thank you for expounding. :)

Krisztian
06-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Thank you Solomon. Yes it is acceptable to associate Wicce and Witch if one has an understanding of the etymology behind the words.

I stumbled across this source a while back:

Basically Gerald Gardner took the historical word Wiccan, mashed it together with the old teachings and evolved it into the currently recognised "religion" and (my opinion) defused a great number of misperceptions and some of the fear associated with witchcraft and those practicing it..... ironically it is still the same thing and there is still a long way to go to gain wider acceptance of our practices.... halfway out of the "broom closet" so to speak, my closest friends and some of my family know but otherwise I keep my spiritual beliefs and practices private.

I have had contact with some Druids and their ways are similar but far much more secretive.

My path is eclectic and elemental for the most part ~ I work with whatever I need to at the time of performing ritual, dragons and angels generally. I prefer to invoke rather than evoke, but that is partly due to lack of experience in evoking. I follow the Egyptian pantheon ~ Sekhmet is my patron Goddess and Thoth my patron God. I really don't like doing most of the spells / low magick that is generally associated with witchcraft and prefer to only call upon the higher powers in extremis. The three-fold rule is one that I deeply respect.

It has been interesting reading posts by other members on this board and recognising many correspondences between alchemical philosophy / lore and what I have been doing intuitively in my eclectic fashion.... I am pushing personal boundaries at the moment ~ I am challenging myself on everything that I previously thought I knew and believed.

I know that I know nothing. :)

That's sometimes the best attitude to have when it comes to learning! It sounds like you will have much to share, and for us to learn. Welcome!

Nibiru
06-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Hello and Welcome MoonQueen!! :)

Awani
06-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Welcome!

:cool:

Ghislain
06-13-2012, 05:32 AM
Welcome MoonQueen

I liked the informative link.

I too like to take the intuitive eclectic path...this always seems to lead me where I wish to go.

I look forward to more of your posts.

Ghislain

MoonQueen
06-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Thank you everyone. :)