PDA

View Full Version : Tolerance

Awani
06-27-2012, 03:34 AM
About ten years ago I entered a video competition. The rules were to make a short film in 24 hours (write, film and edit) on the subject tolerance. I found it on-line by accident. It has its moments. Like Sol would say: it is what it is (would you not say that?)

Tolerance Video (https://site404961.23video.com/m/4223287)

My entry was the only one that took the opposite stand that we should not tolerate things any more, whereas all the others were films about trying to tolerate.

It is not me in the video btw.

:cool:

Andro
04-22-2016, 04:56 PM
The link above is no longer active :(.

Awani
04-23-2016, 12:44 PM
Works now, but why the hell did you dust of this old thread?

Andro
04-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Why the hell did you dust of this old thread?

In retrospective, that's why:

Works now.

Sometimes I randomly come across stuff that's not working/linking properly, so I just do what I gotta do :cool:

Ordnung must sein!

Awani
04-23-2016, 01:24 PM
I see, how ironic that you do not tolerate stuff not in ordnung (at least in regards to this thread). ;)

Andro
04-23-2016, 03:32 PM
I see, how ironic that you do not tolerate stuff not in ordnung

Just staying on topic:

[...] we should not tolerate things any more [...]

zoas23
04-23-2016, 03:49 PM
I see, how ironic that you do not tolerate stuff not in ordnung (at least in regards to this thread). ;)

You seem to completely misunderstand the difference between being intolerant and being obsessive... !!!

Andro
04-23-2016, 04:33 PM
You seem to completely misunderstand the difference between being intolerant and being obsessive... !!!

It's not clear who you refer to as 'obsessive'...

(Probably me, if I should guess :o)

Communication shortcomings aside, I personally don't really like the term 'tolerant' very much... It has a sort of a condescending ring to it (IMO)...

Awani
04-23-2016, 06:33 PM
It has a sort of a condescending ring to it (IMO)...

Then you shouldn't watch the film. ;)

Michael Sternbach
04-23-2016, 07:19 PM

Communication shortcomings aside, I personally don't really like the term 'tolerant' very much... It has a sort of a condescending ring to it (IMO)...

That one made me think. Instead of being tolerant, how about being understanding?

zoas23
04-23-2016, 10:31 PM

I was talking about the moderator who keeps all the threads organized... ah, yes, it's you! ;)
(But I like obsessive people! hahaha).

I don't like the word either. I was just reading about its etymology... it began to be used in Latin as the act of enduring pain or tolerate the physical pain... i.e, from a painful sickness.
And only by the XVII it acquired a religious sense. The etymology dictionary I was looking showed this example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toleration_Act_1688 as one of the first examples of the use of this word in a mora/religious sense.

I like etymologies... quite often they show the "truth" of the words.

Maybe the idea of "tolerance" still carries its ancient meaning and it somehow means perceiving somebody else as a painful sickness, but trying to be somehow cool with this person who is conceived as a sickness.

zoas23
04-25-2016, 06:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz6dTOz2EtI

When it comes to "tolerance", though I prefer "understanding" as Michael suggested... this fragment of a long interview to Deleuze gives an amazing point of view.

For those who are not familiar with him: he didn't like interview at all, but he accepted to concede this one (which got filmed) under certain conditions. The interviewer could only ask him about any subject she wanted, but following the order of the Alphabet and choosing a subject to talk about for each letter.

i.e, the first question could have been about "Apples", the second about "Bees", the third about "Carrots", etc.

This is a part of the letter "G", where Deleuze was asked to talk about the Gauche (Left), since he has always been a non-traditional leftist (i.e, he was not involved in any political party and didn't even like political parties... and even thought that the expression "Leftist Government" didn't make sense, because by definition a Government can't be "Leftist" -according to HIS definition of "Left").

I'm posting the video here because it has a lot to do with "Tolerance" (or Understanding), but he goes further than just being "tolerant" or "understanding". I like his views a lot.