PDA

View Full Version : Salutationes omnibus

Bel Matina
07-03-2012, 11:10 AM
I'd like to introduce myself as humbly as I can. I've been studying the art for a little less than ten years, though I trace my first real experience of the mysteries about twice that far back.

My practical work tends to gravitate toward linguistics and cognition, since that's my academic background. The books I tend to go back to for reference are Evola's "Hermetic Tradition" and an artbook by Taaschen curated by Alexander Roob.

For those with a cuneiform fetish, my handle is spelled EN KI TI NA (or NA4, if it better pleases). It's an emblem rather than a personal attribution.

I'm very pleased to join the conversation!

chrysopoeia
07-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Welcome, Bel Matina!

solomon levi
07-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Greetings!
Those are some great fetishes! Have you entertained Fulcanelli and phonetic cabala/green language?
It's addicting. So is gematria.
Is cuneiform synonymous with sumerian? I recognise some words in your handle.

Awani
07-09-2012, 01:04 AM
Didn't see you come in... late welcome!

:cool:

Bel Matina
07-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Cuneiform is a semi-logographic writing system originally used to write Sumerian. Signs can have either logographic value, representing one or more words directly, or they can have the phonetic reading of their logographic value(s). It's one step in formality up from a rebus. I gave the modern reference names for the signs, which you can use to look them up in dictionaries such as the PSD (http://psd.museum.upenn.edu/epsd/index.html).

It was also used to write Akkadian/Babylonian/Assyrian by scribe who were taught the system through Sumerian as a second language. In this case, the phonetic readings came primarily from Sumerian. Further confusing it, other languages, such as Hittite, adopted the writing system, using readings derived from both Sumerian and Akkadian, with occasional local readings.

Bel Matina (or more properly, BÍl Mātīna) is a Babylonian phrase combining both kinds of readings: EN read logographically as BÍl, lord, followed by KI read logographically as Māt, land, with TI (arrow, life) and NA (man, also used for the Sumerian homonym stone) or NA4 (the proper sign for stone) serving to represent the dual genitive ending īna.

There's some additional double meanings that amuse me. EN KI is also the name of the god Enki, and the Sumerian name for the planet Mercury, though for that reading you'd have to preface it with the sign AN/DIGIR (which is not read but only serves to indicate that the following is the name of a god). TI NA could be man of life, stone of life man of the arrow etc in Sumerian (the order of compounding is reversed), and also has a nice symmetry with the way the name of the goddess Tiamat is written, namely TI (the same arrow/life) AMAT (the Babylonian phonetic reading of a sign meaning handmaiden).