PDA

View Full Version : McKenna scared of Shrooms

Awani
07-12-2012, 12:57 AM
The information in this post is kind of para-phrased [written from memory] from a short talk by Bruce Dahmer on Terence McKenna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna)... with additional information from Terence brother Dennis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_McKenna).

Well there has been an interesting week for the psychedelic community. It has come to public knowledge that the guru of Mushrooms, the prophet of DMT... the bard himself, Terence McKenna, was shit scared of mushrooms and for the last 12 or so years of his life he used none of it. Even tough he continued having lectures on the subject. This is what his brother is saying in his book about their lives coming out hopefully later this year (called The Brotherhood of the Screaming Abyss).

Terence himself apparently did not like this fact and felt like a fake. It was not like he pretended he took Mushrooms every weekend, his 'fans' more assumed he was. This is good news actually because I myself only use it a couple of times a year. Fuck taking it every weekend. There is no point to that I don't think.

What happened was that in the late eighties Terence ally, the kind gentle Mushroom, turned on him and he had a horrible trip. Apparently he saw The Meaningless Void... which I have seen myself, so I fully understand the horror he must have felt (in fact I almost got scared hearing about the fact he had seen it).

Terence McKenna was an intellectual. He enjoyed the knowledge he received from the Mushroom, but when it came to himself as a human being he was either not interested or not ready to change for the better. So finally one day he had a very bad trip and dared not take it again.

Later on he discovered he had a brain tumor. It is now there interesting thing happens. His doctor told him it was quite funny that the tumor was in the shape of a Mushroom. So in a way even though he had stopped using Mushrooms, the Mushroom was NOT FINISHED WITH HIM!

A death sentence changes a person.

On his death bed, just before the end, he said something along the lines of: "It's love, that is what it is all about nothing more!"

The Mushroom had completed its lecture!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like this story, because I have been in the same position. I am an intellectual, but to look at yourself is difficult. Very scary. The answer to avoid the VOID is LOVE. You can say the above is circumstantial or gossip, but when it comes to living with the Mushroom stranger things have been known to occur.

Just thought fellow psychonauts here would enjoy this news.

Source: http://www.matrixmasters.net/salon/?p=595

:cool:

Krisztian
07-12-2012, 01:57 AM
The information in this post is kind of para-phrased from a short talk by Bruce Dahmer on Terence McKenna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna)... with additional information form Terence brother Dennis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_McKenna).

Well there has been an interesting week for the psychedelic community. It has come to public knowledge that the guru of Mushrooms, the prophet of DMT... the bard himself, Terence McKenna, was shit scared of mushrooms and for the last 12 or so years of his life he used none of it. Even tough he continued having lectures on the subject. This is what his brother is saying in his book about their lives coming out hopefully later this year (called The Brotherhood of the Screaming Abyss).

Terence himself apparently did not like this fact and felt like a fake. It was not like he pretended he took Mushrooms every weekend, his 'fans' more assumed he was. This is good news actually because I myself only use it a couple of times a year. Fuck taking it every weekend. There is no point to that I don't think.

What happened was that in the late eighties Terence ally, the kind gentle Mushroom, turned on him and he had a horrible trip. Apparently he saw The Meaningless Void... which I have seen myself, so I fully understand the horror he must have felt (in fact I almost got scared hearing about the fact he had seen it).

Terence McKenna was an intellectual. He enjoyed the knowledge he received from the Mushroom, but when it came to himself as a human being he was either not interested or not ready to change for the better. So finally one day he had a very bad trip and dared not take it again.

Later on he discovered he had a brain tumor. It is now there interesting thing happens. His doctor told him it was quite funny that the tumor was in the shape of a Mushroom. So in a way even though he had stopped using Mushrooms, the Mushroom was NOT FINISHED WITH HIM!

A death sentence changes a person.

On his death bed, just before the end, he said something along the lines of: "It's love, that is what it is all about nothing more!"

The Mushroom had completed its lecture!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like this story, because I have been in the same position. I am an intellectual, but to look at yourself is difficult. Very scary. The answer to avoid the VOID is LOVE. You can say the above is circumstantial or gossip, but when it comes to living with the Mushroom stranger things have been known to occur.

Just thought fellow psychonauts here would enjoy this news.

Source: http://www.matrixmasters.net/salon/?p=595

I don't know the individual you mentioned, but I'm not surprised. Whenever one uses psychedelics, one essentially opens the space around, and in-between, in pockets, the field that surrounds our physical body. This can, and does, provide peering into other realms, and the dangers are that you don't consciously close down the gateways of holes that these types of substances were created for.

The void is the fabric, the container of reality. That's a sacred experience; but it is only so when spirituality is involved. Love is the paintbrush, the true colour, and without it, there's only the emptiness of the fabric of an uncreated, yet-to-be-loved experience.

/

I found the story quite intriguing, and his insight difficult to forget.

Awani
07-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Bruce is kind of a mini-McKenna... not that well-known... he holds talks, writes blogs etc I think. Anyway he knew him personally as did his brother of course.

Krisztian
07-12-2012, 02:10 AM
Bruce is kind of a mini-McKenna... not that well-known... he holds talks, writes blogs etc I think. Anyway he knew him personally as did his brother of course.

What a beautiful realization he had! Who says that only one type of path leads to love.

solomon levi
07-12-2012, 05:16 AM
One can really observe first-hand the different intention of fear and love on shrooms.
Love can make a bad trip beautiful again.
The "meaningless void" is only a bad trip for the "meaningful ego".
I'm not making light of it. It will certainly blast you. It did me.
But I've gone back to it; it's just too real to hide from IMO.
More real than this reality. Of course survival makes one feel more alive.
I can't imagine one can prepare for it adequately.
Hopefully, people won't meet it before they can survive it.
Unfortunately, resisting it removes us from the realm of the miraculous.

Awani
07-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Here is the quote from Dennis McKennas book (note that Kat was Terence wife/girlfriend I think):

"Terence's pivotal existential crisis came abruptly. Sometime in '88 or '89. Everything that happened after that event was fallout. I don't know exactly when it happened and I don't know exactly what happened. I am piecing it together from what Kat has told me and she has volunteered few details and I am reluctant to probe. It happened when they were living for a time on the Big Island and it was a mushroom trip they shared that was absolutely terrifying for Terence. It was terrifying because, for some reason, the mushroom turned on him. The gentle, wise, humorous mushroom spirit that he had come to know and trust as an ally and teacher ripped back the facade to reveal an abyss of utter existential despair. Terence kept saying, so Kat told me, that it was, "a lack of all meaning, a lack of all meaning." And this induced panic in Terence and probably, I speculate, a feeling that he was going mad. He couldn't deal with it. Kat's efforts to reassure him were fruitless. After that experience, he never again took mushrooms and he took other psychedelics such as DMT and Ayahuasca only on rare occasions and with great reluctance."

Krisztian
07-17-2012, 01:03 AM
It was terrifying because, for some reason, the mushroom turned on him. The gentle, wise, humorous mushroom spirit that he had come to know and trust as an ally and teacher ripped back the facade to reveal an abyss of utter existential despair. Terence kept saying, so Kat told me, that it was, "a lack of all meaning, a lack of all meaning." And this induced panic in Terence and probably, I speculate, a feeling that he was going mad. He couldn't deal with it. Kat's efforts to reassure him were fruitless."

It does sound like he went farther than what he could handle. In my field, we would call this the 'flooding of the psyché'. Yeah, it is difficult if one doesn't operate out of a system, some sort of spiritual system. The ungrounded psyché just breaks.