PDA

View Full Version : The Modern Mystery School

Axismundi000
07-15-2012, 02:54 AM
This Gudni Gudnason guy claims this mystery school has over 1 million membership worldwide. A whole load of Alchemy courses and the website is slick.

Do people here know anything about this organisation which seems to have some kind of annual Alchemy conference in in the USA.

It seems to be some kind of big pan-national organisation which I'm surprised if it is that big, no-one mentions.

Any info?

Bel Matina
07-15-2012, 06:03 AM
I can't find where they claim there are more people involved than the three instructors.

They explicitly identify all mystery traditions as identical, talking about the "mystery school tradition" as if it were one monolithic thing, which has its didactic place in hermetica, I suppose. That could be the source of the claim of a membership of millions worldwide, but as I said I can't find the claim.

By my read whoever wrote this was desperately avoiding hermetic double-speak with only a respectable degree of success.

I'm definitely going to that conference next year if I can afford to. Looks pretty entertaining.

Ghislain
07-15-2012, 07:54 AM
There is a thread from a "Skeptics Society Forum" (http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14896), which in post 13 a member of the school has something to say.

I have never heard of this school.

To me all schools seem to have the potential of becoming a cult. There is nothing wrong with a cult
of and in itself, but this usually degenerates into many imposing rules and then a leader
surfaces until finally you have a religious prison where the inmates are indoctrinated into a blind belief.

But hey, that’s just me :)

On their web page it says, "Do you want to start an amazing journey?”, I think they missed the boat
there as everyone who exists started out on an amazing journey the day they were born.

I feel that finding a school on mysticism may be like eating a TV dinner:

It is not all that tasty, there are many additional preservatives and such to give it a better shelf
life...that may or may not be needed and could be detrimental to your health, they have a ‘one taste
fits all’ sort of flavour where no one really likes it but it's passable, there usually isn't enough to
satisfy your hunger, it lacks in many of the required nutrients, in the long term it is much more
expensive, but it is convenient and sometimes better to get something to eat than sit there starving
through ones lack of motivation to get up and cook something nutritious for oneself, all the while
the manufacturers of the TV dinners are rubbing their hands as they watch the revenue roll in due to
the lazy attitude of the populace.

Having said that, I do eat a lot of TV dinners :(

Ghislain

Bel Matina
07-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Well, they promise initiation. To an initiate, that ought to fall flat. Likewise, their language is not all that self-inflated if you know what you're reading. At the end of the day, they're trying to sell seats at a lecture, and an air of mystery and excitement helps. It seems to me potentially no less honorable a profession than astrology. Still, charlatans are everywhere. After three hundred years of parlor tricks for rich people being our public face, it would be more surprising to see honesty.

Krisztian
07-15-2012, 06:06 PM
This Gudni Gudnason guy claims this mystery school has over 1 million membership worldwide. A whole load of Alchemy courses and the website is slick.

I've heard of him, he does attend Alchemy Conferences. Well, it is what it is, that's as much as I can say.

I also can take 'offense' like others in this Thread about 'Mystery School' as much in modern times. But I guess it has it's place, in worse cases like another form of entertainment.

My personal experiences are, from other recycles, that 'Mystery Schools' of Old didn't advertise in the public! The soon-to-be-initiate was attracted during 'dreamtime', on astral plane, or via alternate states, and if they were able to 'recall', in other words 'bring it back to conscious awareness', then they were invited to travel to the geographically-difficult location of that rather hidden School. The public often didn't even know that it existed. Anonymity is by far the greatest sword of spirituality. You remove that element - anonymity that is - then you're into insecure personality, it's social needs, entertainment fix, it's distinct addictions, emotional hunger, and control upon control upon control. (I think Ghislain is onto something with this posting.)

Krisztian
07-16-2012, 12:14 AM
I have seen Schweighardt's 'emblem' in a Rosicrucian manuscript alluding to an Invisible College. In my regard, that's closer to what I would label as a Mystery School of Old.

The only way to get there is by astral travel. A philosopher would then need to demonstrate and practice what he or she preaches, reads, etc.

Axismundi000
07-16-2012, 12:24 AM
I listened to an old podcast interview with gudnarson (occultist radio network; Jymie Darling and Vicky Adams). Hmmmm.....

Thanks for the info guys. I think the TV dinner analogy is rather usefull here Ghislain.