PDA

View Full Version : One-liners

Bel Matina
07-31-2012, 03:23 PM
I wanted to create a thread to share the little phrases that come up in the process of any endeavor, whether it's something that came to you in a moment of inspiration, or something you've had to keep reminding yourself, or even just a favorite quote. At worst you'll express some frustration, and we feel your pain; at best, it could serve as a milestone for someone who's struggling. If it's redundant, I apologize and please fold it into the appropriate thread.

Mine: "It's not complicated, it's just hard."

Ghislain
07-31-2012, 04:09 PM
My Fav' is, "I would like to agree with you, but then we would both be wrong"

:) Ghislain

zoas23
08-01-2012, 11:01 AM
"there is no solution because there is no problem", this is a phrase by Marcel Duchamp.

It's not about getting simple minded, but mostly about not thinking in terms of problems and solutions... I think we all struggle with this situation almost every day of our lives.

There's a second one I am always telling myself, but it needs some explanation. Joseph Beuys haad a very simple work of art called "the Rose of Direct Democracy"

http://www.iniref.org/beuys.rose.png

During an art Festival (documenta V, in Kassel, Germany) in 1972, the organizers gave him a room to exhibit his works. His exhibition simply consisted of a sign that said: "Information Office for Direct Democracy".... a wooden table, chairs around the table... the rose in the graduated glass cilinder was placed on the table... in that table, Beuys exchanged ideas and discussed ideas with visitors to the exhibition about how to improve society and how to bring more freedom (always under his ideal of direct democracy.... i.e, "what can we do" instead of "who should we vote").

Anyway.... a picture was taken from that exhibition and Beuys signed that picture and made it a work of art:

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/images/work/P/P07/P07596_9.jpg

The phrase is its title: "WE CAN'T DO IT WITHOUT THE ROSE".

(and, yes, clearly the ideas of Beuys came in a very direct way from alchemy and rosicrucianism.... that's not a secret at all).

The Rose of inspiration, the rose of love, the rose of mystery, the rose of sacrifice, the sub-rosa meetings, etc...

I think quite often when we are discussing with someone, we should place a rose on the table.... and repeat to ourselves this fantastic phrase: "we can't do it without the rose". Of course, sometimes there's no need to have a physical rose there if there isn't one available (even though the "physical" rose can help a lot sometimes).

I have used it alone a several times too. I remember a time in which I was writing a thesis and in the middle of it I got stuck in a writer's block and was mostly struggling with myself. I spent a few days being blocked... finally I remembered about this phrase and bought a rose, which I placed on the table I waas writing... and that's how I managed to finish this thesis I was writing.

Andro
08-01-2012, 11:32 AM
My favorite (self-coined one) is: 'None and the same' :)

Another one that really works to keep me balanced most of the time: 'It is what it is'.

I also like double or triple meaning one-liners, such as: 'Nothing is real' or 'Nothing is what it seems'...

Another favorite (and a bit nasty :)) one-liner favorite of mine is 'If you have to ask, then the answer is NO' (or 'YES', depending on the mood, although it doesn't ultimately make any difference...)

And of course there's my signature line, which I absolutely love: 'Drink the Wine and let the World be the World'.

Awani
08-01-2012, 11:48 AM
I often use: we are not building spaceships

Often used when discussing a problem.

:cool:

solomon levi
08-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Lately I enjoy "Oh! Now I don't understand." after someone has tried to explain something.

Ghislain
08-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Similar to Dev's "we are not building spaceships" we say "It's not Rocket Science"
But then what do Rocket Scientists say ?

Androgynus a friend of mine says to me when I start to rant about something "live with it"
I think this is similar to your "Drink the Wine and let the World be the World". I'm sure it his
way of saying "shut T F up" :( hehe

Not the same but similar to yours Zoas is "there are no problems only challenges"
and my boss' fav "dont bring me problems bring me solutions"

One I just found "A man with one foot on 'yesterday' and one foot on 'tomorrow' will end up pissing on 'today'

Source: (http://www.angelfire.com/ok/ssplasher/xconfucious.html/)

Ghislain

Awani
08-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Also use: And So What?

As for cursewords I like: Scum motherfucking whore.

:cool:

Nibiru
08-02-2012, 03:26 AM
I was going to write,
"Everything's possible, because Nothing is real" but Androgynus already predicted my ending :)

So instead I'll say,
"I'm NOT in a state of denial!!!"