PDA

View Full Version : Alchemical Periodic Table

James Strom
07-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Here is a proposal for aligning almost all of the chemical elements on the periodic table with the various planets, asteroids, and moons of our Solar System. It is based on the idea that the order in which the planets and moons were discovered should be matched with the order in which the chemical elements were, within their proper categories.

I read this article by Edwin Rose about day and night rulerships and thought the idea could be expanded.
http://www.guidingstar.com/Articles/Rulerships.html

The planets ruling the various signs ought to include most, if not all, of the Olympian gods. As it stands they exclude a number of the female deities. This problem can be solved by giving rulership to the first four asteroids discovered. In addition, metals can be assigned to them from the earliest known as well. Also, the elements and their properties can be assigned colors which can then be applied to the planets. The 'normal' planets seem to take the color of their night rulership element while the giant planets look like their day. The asteroids seem to be a mixture of both.

Here is what I propose:

Day rulership

Sign Planet

Leo Sun
Virgo Mercury
Libra Venus
Scorpio Mars
Sagittarius Jupiter
Capricorn Saturn
Aquarius Uranus
Pisces Neptune
Aries Juno
Taurus Pallas
Gemini Ceres
Cancer Vesta

Night rulership

Sign Planet

Leo Vesta
Virgo Ceres
Libra Pallas
Scorpio Juno
Sagittarius Neptune
Capricorn Uranus
Aquarius Saturn
Pisces Jupiter
Aries Mars
Taurus Venus
Gemini Mercury
Cancer Moon

Planet Metal

Vesta Zinc
Ceres Platinum
Pallas Cobalt
Juno Nickel
Neptune Bismuth
Uranus Antinomy
Saturn Lead
Jupiter Tin
Mars Iron
Venus Copper
Mercury Mercury
Moon Silver
Sun Gold

Element Color

Earth Yellow, Lime
Water Green, Aqua
Air Blue, Purple
Fire Red, Orange

If the planets, asteroids, and moons are given to correspond to the proper type of metals in order of both of their discoveries then many interesting patterns appear. Let the 'normal' metals match up with all the planets, the first four asteroids, and almost all of the moons. Have the rare earth metals will align with the first fourteen asteroids. Set up the actinides with the outer planets. Pair the akaline and akaline earth metals with the twelve signs of the zodiac along with their night ruling planets. Have the halogens and noble gases do the same with the day rulerships.

Note many of the "coincidences." The most massive moon is matched with tungsten, or 'heavy stone.' Titan just so happens to be paired with titanium and Ceres with cerium. Jupiter, Thor in the Nordic tradition, is with thorium.

Sun Gold
Helium
Neon
Oxygen

Moon Silver
Hydrogen
Lithium
Selenium

Mercury Mercury
Berylium
Fluorine
Nitrogen

Venus Copper
Sodium
Argon
Phosphorus

Vulcan Sulfur
Boron

Earth Tellurium
Silicon

Mars Iron
Magnesium
Chlorine
Actinium

Phobos Indium
Deimos Thallium

Ceres Platinum
Francium
Ununoctium
Cerium

Pallas Cobalt
Barium
Astatine
Lanthanum

Juno Nickel
Cesmium
Radon
Erbium

Vesta Zinc
Radium
Ununseptium
Terbium

Astrea Ytterbium
Hebe Holmium
Iris Samarium
Flora Thulium
Metis Praseodymium
Hygiea Neodymium
Parthenope Gadolinium
Victoria Dysprosium
Egeria Europium
Irene Promethium

Jupiter Tin
Potassium
Krypton
Thorium

Amalthea Gallium
Io Manganese
Europa Molybdenum
Ganymede Tungsten
Callisto Zirconium
Himalia (Hestia) Germanium
Lysithea (Demeter) Rhenium
Elara (Hera) Polonium
Ananke (Adrastea) Boron
Carme (Pan) Technetium
Pasiphae (Poseiden) Lutetium
Sinope (Hades) Hafnium

Saturn Lead
Calcium
Bromine
Protactinium

Mimas Osmium
Enceladus Iridium
Tethys Tantalum
Dione Niobium
Rhea Chromium
Titan Titanium
Hyperion Aluminum
Iapetus Yttrium
Phoebe Scandium

Uranus Antinomy
Rubidium
Xenon
Uranium

Miranda Tellurium
Ariel Ruthenium
Umbriel Vanadium
Titania Rhodium
Oberon Palladium

Neptune Bismuth
Strontium
Iodine
Neptunium

Triton Cadmium
Nereid Selenium

Pluto Arsenic
Plutonium

Charon Carbon

Aries Magnesium
Radon

Taurus Sodium
Astatine

Gemini Berylium
Ununoctium

Cancer Lithium
Ununseptium

Leo Radium
Neon

Virgo Francium
Fluorine

Libra Barium
Argon

Scorpio Cesium
Chlorine

Sagittarius Strontium
Krypton

Capricorn Rubidium
Bromine

Aquarius Calcium
Xenon

Pisces Potassium
Iodine

Earth Tellurium
Boron

Water Selenium
Carbon

Air Sulfur
Nitrogen

Fire Oxygen

Cardinal Arsenic
Sulfur

Fixed Phosphorus

Mutable Silicon
Nitrogen

Male Arsenic
Silicon

Female Selenium
Carbon

There are many elements that have not yet been assigned to any planets, dwarf or otherwise. Where will the many Kuiper belt objects go? This remains to be seen. It may be too early to tell.

MoonQueen
08-01-2012, 02:16 AM
This is interesting..... my head is spinning with the possible permutations and combinations. I've been thinking along similar lines about planetary correspondences only in regard to the Tarot and wondering how the minor planets and centaurs and other bodies could be aligned with the cards given that atm only the traditional planets and signs have been assigned to the cards... to the best of my knowledge. Thank you for sharing!

James Strom
08-01-2012, 06:44 PM
I may post something on the Tarot cards soon. Right now I'm putting together a periodic table using the astrological symbols for the elements/planets or moons. Instead of seeing Fe for iron there would be the shield and spear, etc. This site is a great help: http://www.suberic.net/~dmm/astro/moons.html

MoonQueen
08-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Last night I was trying to visualise the symbols on the periodic table, might just have to get into Photoshop and have a crack at putting one together. :)

Love how Moskowitz has put the planentary moon symbols together so organic ~ although some of the symbols for the asteroids are a little too complex for my liking (eg Irene), the trans-Neptunian objects... yeah! Nice. :)

So far I have intuitively assigned only a couple of the centaurs/minor planets to the cards ~ looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

James Strom
08-02-2012, 06:53 PM
I would love to see a photoshopped periodic table! If only I were better at graphics.
For the above table Chiron would be Oxygen and Silicon (I should have included that). Think sand, quartz and glass or such.
Also, for numerological purposes Juno=2 or 11, Pallas=3 or 12, Ceres=0, and Vesta=1 or 10.

MoonQueen
08-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Cool :) I'm a graphic designer so like a duck to water in Photoshop. I'll have a go this weekend. :)

James Strom
08-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Great! You should show it off to Moskowitz too.
I'm typing in the Alchemical Tarot Deck right now. Look for the new posting.