PDA

View Full Version : Lo! here, and I'm beholding...

Lo!
08-01-2012, 07:49 AM
What's up guys. I'm Lo. Just a guy in his mid twenties who loves the Lord, truth and life.

For a few years now there has been a lot of convergence in my life that has lead me into studies of esoterica and hermetism. Just this year I decided to be a little more proactive and try to apply some foundational spiritual principles to my every day life. I've become more active in my prayers, contemplated the importance of a mystical understanding of the quadrivium and the tuning of my mind, and have become deeply interested in alchemy, as well as its spagyric expression, as a means of self initation into higher knowlege.

I figured I would walk this road practically and experimentally: by reading books (there are quite a few in my personal library already) and carrying out the manual processes of alchemical plant work to give me a practical means by which I could better understand more spiritual laws.

Time and time again, though, I read in various books or files a reference to initiation as a prerequisite to understanding and carrying out true, spiritual alchemical work. Now I've always assumed that this initiation was simply the realization of basic spiritual reality, and the understanding of the importance becoming more acclimated and attuned to one's true self and with spirit. I have a question for you all, and I may post this elsewhere on the boards if this thread collects dust in the introductions section...

Is this initiation a specific spiritual event that I am supposed to have gone through in order to fully grasp and attempt to carry out the great work? In Antoine Pernety's "Treatise on the Great Art" he insists on an evocation so that the candidate may recieve spiritual wisdom from a spirit itself. In different books on masonry there are references to raising the vibrations of a lodge at certain times and I wonder if they are referring to an actual kind of event that affects the initiate.

So help me out here... Is self initiation viable? Most texts on alchemy have stressed the importance of a mentor and of the secrets being passed on orally. I've had a few dinners with my local masonic lodge, but was not impressed with the men that I met there and did not notice any kind of evidence of a transformative spiritual knowlege for the better. So I'm not sure where else to turn for guidance on alchemy. That is why I've come to this board. I know much of the spiritual path is unique to the individual that walks it, so I know I may get various opinions and answers, and all are welcome. Thanks again; I'm excited to learn. ;)

Awani
08-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Welcome Lo!

:cool:

Ghislain
08-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Lo!

Paul Strathern in his book “Mendeleyev's Dream: The Quest for the Elements (http://www.powells.com/review/2002_12_28.html)” points out how
along the scientific historical road scientists have made great discoveries and thus commanded
great respect from the scientific community; once this has happened everyone is hanging on
their every word. What takes place now is that the same respected scientists makes assumptions
that have little or no scientific basis and the masses follow along this line due to the respect held
for them and thus science regresses until someone comes along with a more scientifically
based alternative. I believe this to have been much more prevalent in Alchemy leaving many texts
that lead you down a road to nowhere, maybe allowing a bit of fun along the way though.

I liken this to the movement of a murmur of starlings ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vhE8ScWe7w)

As the birds move each one is only following about two or three others but when extrapolated to
thousands you get these amazing waves of movement; it is not who you follow, but also who
they are following that matters.

Enter the theory of six degrees of separation. (an example)

“You're Never More Than 6 People Away From Anyone Else”

If you follow THIS ( http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=32011) link then the theory appears to be true, whereas if you follow THIS (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/more_or_less/
5176698.stm) link it would
appear to be an urban myth. To find out which is true you have to try it for yourself. Would you have
the inclination?

People move en masse for safety, but also break off into smaller groups that have an alternative view (not
accepted by the masses) putting themselves outside of the safety net afforded by the mass. Then you have
those that go it completely alone they suffer the ridicule of the mass, of the fractional groups, but they have
made their own decision and know it is only they who have to live with that decision escaping the
turbulence of the masses, comfortable in their own existence. The majority are probably a mix of all three.

Read “Jonathan Livingston Seagull” ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Livingston_Seagull) by Richard Bach

So what is the answer to your question?

IMO There is no right or wrong way; there is just our own way. I believe that self initiation is viable; one can
look at the ideas of others, but then you have to look inside and ask yourself if this is the right road for you;
you will know.

You said, “Now I've always assumed that this initiation was simply the realization of basic spiritual reality, and the
understanding of the importance becoming more acclimated and attuned to one's true self and with
spirit.”

I can go with that completely.

Be yourself.

Ghislain

P.S. Should I have started this post Hi Lo? :)

Edit: I should include one of my own convictions which is to always question my own beliefs.

solomon levi
08-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Greetings!
IMO getting connected with your genius/daemon/higher self/intuition/Holy Guardian Angel is a necessity.
Self-initiation, definitely.
But don't wait to start. Often alchemical products can initiate you, so whatever you can do is good, even if
it's simple herbal tinctures, or whatever spiritual practice you use.

Krisztian
08-01-2012, 06:54 PM
I've become more active in my prayers, contemplated the importance of a mystical understanding of the quadrivium and the tuning of my mind, and have become deeply interested in alchemy, as well as its spagyric expression, as a means of self initation into higher knowlege.

No person outside of us can deeply initiate us. It's our dialogue with our Inner Master or, whatever you wish to call it, that's important. It's kind of like fishing, we place our mind in silence (viz., intend on catching a fish by the pond, etc.), in a state of receiving, and wait for what comes (viz., let the fish find us)!

I figured I would walk this road practically and experimentally: by reading books (there are quite a few in my personal library already) and carrying out the manual processes of alchemical plant work to give me a practical means by which I could better understand more spiritual laws.

That's been my realization also, to travel the practical road; laboratory alchemy can help.

In different books on masonry there are references to raising the vibrations of a lodge at certain times and I wonder if they are referring to an actual kind of event that affects the initiate.

It can. But the Old Art that ciphered within Freemasonry is hidden from majority of masons. I see that when I attend Lodges in various places. The spirituality is somewhat lost, and it's mostly a social enterprise.

Alchemy and Freemasonry was at one time one-and-the-same discipline; they even use the same symbolisms, ritualistic talk, etc. That's somewhat gone now.

So help me out here... Is self initiation viable? Most texts on alchemy have stressed the importance of a mentor and of the secrets being passed on orally. I've had a few dinners with my local masonic lodge, but was not impressed with the men that I met there and did not notice any kind of evidence of a transformative spiritual knowlege for the better.

My suggestion is, it seems like from what you write that you 'pray', there's no accident when we're told ora et labora, if you get my point?

So I'm not sure where else to turn for guidance on alchemy. That is why I've come to this board. I know much of the spiritual path is unique to the individual that walks it, so I know I may get various opinions and answers, and all are welcome. Thanks again; I'm excited to learn. ;)

You seem to have figured some very important lessons out. Sounds like you're on the path, that's for sure.

Welcome. I'm happy to have read your posting.

MoonQueen
08-02-2012, 02:14 AM
Welcome Lo! Nice to meet you. :)