PDA

View Full Version : Are We Real?

Ghislain
08-03-2012, 12:37 PM
The video below looks at the Cosmological Constant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_constant), whether or not we are a product of chance or
design, is there one theory that fits everything, are we the most intelligent things in this universe or
in others and finally concludes with the question are we real or just the simulation of a higher
intelligence.

Mentioned in the documentary is The Game of Life (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?2848-Game-of-Life) of which I created a thread some time ago. It
may be useful to download and play this game for a while before watching the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyH2D4-tzfM&feature=related

With everything said in the video above one has to ask the question, “what about consciousness?”

Hypothetically we could certainly evolve further and quicker than before using the exponential
advance in technology to a point where we cease to exist and our technology discretely takes our
place in a transition that happens so gradually that it is not even noticed.

Would that technology, now devoid of our being, be aware of itself?

I believe this to be the key point...the fact that we are self aware and seek to know the origin of our
existence.

If we are in fact a simulation experiment of a higher being then is that being a simulation of another
and so on?

When one meditates, what is that feeling of knowing one gets? I have to call it a knowing without
knowing as I cannot explain it but those who have experienced it will know what I mean.

All I have are questions :(

Ghislain

Ankhhape
08-03-2012, 03:06 PM
What if "we/life" are a product of both intelligent design and chance such as a meme? A meme evolves by chance directions and intelligently eliminates the directions that are maleficent towards its survival keeping what "works" so to speak? This theory embraces both intelligent (divine may be a stretch) intervention and happenstance.

Just an idea.

My thoughts on meditation is that it is nothing more than achieving "no-mind" a form of trance induction and/or self-hypnosis reached through inhibitory techniques, something useful for creating altered states of consciousness.

Ghislain
08-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Read post 1 ( http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?2131-The-Vessel) of this thread. It was a strong feeling I had a while back and still have today. Where
I mention “being” it was for want of a better word.

As you mention “Meme” in your post then you should read ”MEME” (http://BetterHuman.org) a book by Sean Sinjin?

Check it out, it is free and amazing might I add.

I would like to talk more on meditation, feeling and knowing, but have to go to work now.

Later

Ghislain

solomon levi
08-03-2012, 09:02 PM
That's a great video! Very timely/wyrd. And very akin to my post here:
http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?3035-the-oneness-of-life

It was fun to follow the progress and see them answer their questions as I would.
Before they said it, I was thinking, of course it looks like amazing chance if you
imagine this is the only universe. As Carlos Castaneda taught, our description is
but one among millions, perhaps infinite descriptions.
And when they were approaching the idea of interacting with other parts of the multiverse,
I was thinking, it's already happening - the silicon revolution...
So that was fun that we sympathised. Now I'll contemplate further on being a simulation.
I already see that in many ways - how we are programs, automatons, objects of consciousness...
but there seems to be the possiblity of being more than that. How much can we influence
the program, individually and collectively? Are we the programmers and the program, playing
out the game which we set the rules for - both gods and men simultaneously? Is this any
different than what the "ruling elite"/royalty know and exercise - the truth about our forgotten
grandeur? That and even greater? (ruling the earth-lab is just small stuff)

Thanks Ghislain. That was really enjoyable.

Orbital
08-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Too quote Jedi Qui Gon Jinn in Star Wars Episode 1, "There's always a bigger fish".

Andro
08-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Quoth Ghislain:

Are we real?

Quoth Les McCann:

Compared to what (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzvlivbptXk)?

Let's think about that for a moment...

(Sol had already posted a link to this song elsewhere on the forum, but I couldn't find it :o)

Ghislain
08-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Amazing music Androgynus and the lyrics seem to be asking the same question...What's it all about?

I love the lie and lie the love
A-Hangin' on, with push and shove
Possession is the motivation
that is hangin' up the God-damn nation
Looks like we always end up in a rut (everybody now!)
Tryin' to make it real — compared to what? C'mon baby!

Slaughterhouse is killin' hogs
Twisted children killin' frogs
Poor dumb rednecks rollin' logs
Tired old lady kissin' dogs
I hate the human love of that stinking mutt (I can't use it!)
Try to make it real — compared to what? C'mon baby now!

The President, he's got his war
Folks don't know just what it's for
Nobody gives us rhyme or reason
Have one doubt, they call it treason
We're chicken-feathers, all without one nut. God damn it!
Tryin' to make it real — compared to what? (Sock it to me)

Church on Sunday, sleep and nod
Tryin' to duck the wrath of God
Preacher's fillin' us with fright
They all tryin' to teach us what they think is right
They really got to be some kind of nut (I can't use it!)
Tryin' to make it real — compared to what?

Where's that bee and where's that honey?
Where's my God and where's my money?
Unreal values, crass distortion
Unwed mothers need abortion
Kind of brings to mind ol' young King Tut (He did it now)
Tried to make it real — compared to what?!

but if the link was a genuine question then I would have to say real as compared to being merely
ostensible, nominal, or apparent; compared to being actual rather than imaginary, an ideal, fictitious or
theoretical; compared to being merely so-called; compared to being counterfeit, artificial,
imitation or simulation; compared to being false or merely supposed; compared to a state of affairs
that has been suggested or proposed; compared to being nonexistent, potential or contingent;
compared to being a test or trial; compared to being someone elses lie.

That’s about all I could find on being real, but I’m sure there is more.

Orbital "There's always a bigger fish", if "what is" is fractal then I guess there always will be a bigger fish.

Ghislain

Ezalor
08-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Think of something that is not real. Now, it exists in your mind. But if it exist it is real, isn't it? ;)

"Real" is relative.

turtleman
03-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Well I hate to be the one to give the overly used answer but in response to the basic question here I would have to say "I think therefore I am."
Its a rather hard statement to argue with but then again whats your definition of real?

Krisztian
03-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Well I hate to be the one to give the overly used answer but in response to the basic question here I would have to say "I think therefore I am."

O, Descartes will likely twitch in his grave when I say, I prefer the other way around: I am therefore I think.

The issue with philosophy is that it's more about 'word play' and the chains of logic than anything real.

Awani
03-04-2013, 12:40 AM
Or "I think I am, therefore I think... and I am!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X6_0jJbcy0

:cool:

solomon levi
03-04-2013, 01:13 AM
Yeah, my experience disagrees with Descartes.
I experience my existence even without thinking.
I am, therefore I am.
Who can deny that they are?
Do we really have to think about it?
It certainly isn't thinking that brings us into being, unless you define yourself as thinking...
which is sadly true for many - they identify with their thoughts.
There are so few that don't, society in general has accepted Descartes without question!
It's like saying, I have a computer, therefore I exist.

Bel Matina
03-04-2013, 01:43 AM
I don't think Descartes' proof was meant to be reductionist, or imply anything about the nature of existence, only that being in a state of thinking is dependent on being in a state is dependent on (possibly synonymous)= with) being in the first place. In that sense "I have a computer, therefore I am" is an equivalent proof, since being in a state of relationship with a computer requires being in a state etc. There's a subtle sardonic tone to Descartes' formulation, as in "the fact that we are having this conversation makes this conversation stupid", which certainly fits his personality in general.

Ghislain
07-03-2016, 01:04 AM
This is an episode from, "Through The Wormhole", presented by Morgan Freeman, "Is There A Creator?". The quality isn't the best and you can get parts of the program in better quality, but this is the best I could find complete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LfEn3d8DSw&index=176&list=PLbiIqTy4wIp3gLBO5kMKd3W15WimtCRzl&shuffle=128

The reason I liked this particular episode is that it is what I believe at the present time.

Beware the series is addictive ;)

Ghislain