PDA

View Full Version : Find alcohol with high percentage: Australian Alchemy Question

JarrodB
08-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Hi All,

I am just starting some Alchemy Experiments and I currently live in Australia.

I am having trouble finding alcohol with a high percentage... The best i can find is 40% vodka...

Is there anyone else in Australia who might be able to let me know what they use???

Thank you so much for any help or suggestions

Regards
Jarrod Brake MM.

ghetto alchemist
08-14-2012, 04:08 AM
Unfortunately 40% is the best that you're gonna get.

If you want stronger, then you're going to have to learn to distill.

Make yourself up a stove top still, not hard (and completely legal if less than 5 litres)
Buy some cheap cooking alcohol from a chinese grocery store (also completely legal)

However, putting the cooking alcohol in the still and firing it up would be illegal, so better not do that.

Of course, you might also learn how to brew alcohol from sugar mix too.

Regards

JarrodB
08-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Ahhh ok thanks for your suggestions :)

Would there be much disadvantage if I just use the 40%???

KCee
08-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Jarrod,
You should also take into account the type of alcohol you are using.
I am also in Aus.

Andro
08-15-2012, 08:18 AM
You should also take into account the type of alcohol you are using.

I use 96% SV (Spiritus Vini), only home made (not bought in a store), distilled from the remains at the bottom of wine-making barrels and rectified several times, including adding potash to absorb/remove excess water during rectifications. You also need to make sure that you discard the 'Head' and the 'Tail' of the distillate, you don't need those parts and Methanol (which distills before Ethanol) is actually poisonous.

There are a few threads here explaining the process in more detail, you can use the search function to find them.

Good Luck!

JarrodB
08-15-2012, 08:38 AM
Wow I have some study to do!!! :)

Andro
08-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Wow I have some study to do!!! :)

Don't we all...

:o

Ghislain
08-15-2012, 12:36 PM
I have distilled my own SV from Red Wine but recently, for convenience, I distilled it from Brandy
as Brandy is distilled from wine also...

Brandy (from brandywine, derived from Dutch brandewijn—"burnt wine") is a spirit produced by distilling wine.
Brandy generally contains 35%–60% alcohol by volume (70-120 US proof) and is typically taken as an after-dinner
drink. Some brandies are aged in wooden casks, while some are simply coloured with caramel colouring to imitate
the effect of such aging (and some brandies are produced using a combination of both aging and colouring).

Source: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandy)

Ghislain

Krisztian
08-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Hi All,I am just starting some Alchemy Experiments and I currently live in Australia.I am having trouble finding alcohol with a high percentage... The best i can find is 40% vodka.

Jarrod, I've experienced the same issues in the beginning. It led me to conclude that there's a lesson therein for me. So I realized that maybe I meant to "master" distillation before moving onto other more serious operations.

I did find the brand Everclear 151 proof of grain alcohol. I always distill it further; has led me to produce very high proofs, sometimes as close to absolute as one can. Distillation of any alcoholic substance has a lesson within it.

My point is, don't get discouraged, meditate on a solution, allow it to show the direction. There're no shortcuts to alchemy, and that is as it should be. If you want it, I'm certain you'll find your way to this "issue". It's a sort of initiation.

boever
10-09-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm in belgium and distilling alochol is illegal here. But ...

I was able to buy 96% alcohol in the grocery store. At first I doubted it, thinking it was only 48%. But I have put it to the test and it actually was 96%.
I added some potcarb to a glass of 96% alcohol. Potcarb attracts the alcohol from water. I left it like that for some days. The 4% water reacted with the potcarb and formed a thin layer of water at the bottom.
It was about 4% of the total volume.

Grocery store = Colruyt (not sure they have those where you at :))