PDA

View Full Version : Solfus from Vegetables

alfdib
08-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Surely most of you know about the way to take out solfus from Vegetables.
It's written in Bartlett, Manfred Junius, Fr. Albertus and probably also Dubuis...
So cut the vegetable, put it in water and then make it boil and collecting the steam it will condense carring with him the oil of the vegetable.

I'm doing this for the 4th time ( not at 100C but at 80C) and I collect only 1 phase... so if there is any oil, this is completely soluble in the water.
I used 3 times rosemary and 1 lavender.
Did you run the same test and did you get the second oily phase, or like me you just get the water phase?
I'm quite confused as I read everywhere about this oily phase but I can get it.

Andro
08-14-2012, 10:09 PM
so if there is any oil, this is completely soluble in the water.

Hi,

If you do it 'right', the volatile oil will appear as a distinct layer above the re-condensed water.

A separator funnel can be used to let the water out, until only the oil remains.

I personally don't place the plant material directly in water, but above boiling water (like in a steaming pot), so the plant material only comes in contact with the steam and not directly with the water in its liquid form.

I'm not sure if this is the culprit with your experiments and there are probably other methods as well, but this is how I do it.

Also, how much plant material are you using? Fresh or dry? Sometimes it can take a lot of plant material to get a small amount of oil...

alfdib
08-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Tthanks Androgynus.
Can it be because I'm not using boiling water (100 C) but at 80 C?
I've got a water bath in my lab and with it I cannot reach boiling temp, what do you use to geet to boiling temp? Direct flame? Sand bath?

I use around 150 gr of fresh herbs inside 1 or 1,5 lit of distilled water.
Do you use more? How much oil ( in cc) do you get for each 100 gr of herbs?
Thanks again

Andro
08-15-2012, 06:44 PM
I use AT LEAST 500 grams of plant material, sometimes getting no more than 1-2 cc of oil out of this quantity.

In my experience, 100 grams are not likely to give you any noticeable amount of oil. But this may differ from plant to plant and also other variables.

For heating the water UNDER the plant material (to get the steam with which the oil rises) I use a common kitchen gas stove (open flame under the steaming pot).

The water is heated to the boiling point in my case, but I have a setup which condenses the steam and directs it back into the vessel, so the water really circulates and doesn't get 'lost' in boiling (no need to add new water).

But everyone may use a different setup - find out what works for you :)

alfdib
08-16-2012, 10:20 PM
ok, I see... that' why then.. I'm using to little quantity probably.
I've got laboratory glassware ( duran) and the biggest ball I have it's 2litres... to little for the 500gr you're talking...over the ball I've got an alembic (1lit) and then the condensate goes in an 500ml or 1 lit. ball.
evreythign is perfect from this perspective ( I think).
What pot are you using to contain 0,5Kg of herbs please?
stainless stell or whatever please ( glassware, even duran, cannot go on direct flame)?
And how, if not using a laboratory glass with 39/42 ( or whatever else) end up, to not looes the steam flowing up?
A photo would help me a lot to better understand your system.
Thanks again.

Andro
08-16-2012, 11:24 PM
A photo would help me a lot to better understand your system.

This is the setup I'm using for steam-distilling the Essential Oil of the plant:

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/androgynus_album/EssentialOilDistilationSetup.jpg

It's basically a pressure cooker with a (perforated) 'steaming platform' inside (on which the plant material is placed).

Below the platform is boiling water which continuously circulates back into the pot through the pipe system (+ cooling section) attached to it from above.

The Essential Oil rises with the steam, and then gathers and floats above the re-condensed water mass in the glass tube between the pipes. (It appears as a distinct layer, Oil above Water)

When there is no more Oil coming, the heat is turned off and the water is released from below (like with a separator funnel), until there is only Oil left, which then goes into a small collecting bottle.

For example, 500 grams of Melissa (which is known for not having much Essential Oil) resulted in only the 1.5 cc of Oil pictured below:

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/androgynus_album/M-Oil.jpg

alfdib
08-17-2012, 03:05 AM
thanks a lot Androgynus.
This last post helped a lot.
I appreciate.
Well job...
the glass tube out of the steam pot ( with the condenser at the top and the tap at the bottom) did you make yourself or you bought as it is?
I never saw something like that to buy...but it's a great piece indeed.

Andro
08-17-2012, 03:20 AM
did you make yourself or you bought as it is?
I never saw something like that to buy...but it's a great piece indeed.

I bought it years ago from someone who makes (made?) these 'devices'. I have no connection with him right now.

He invented this method, which is apparently much more efficient than standard equipment for essential oil distillation. (It takes much less time to extract the oil, the water is recirculated back into the pot, etc...)

Andro
08-17-2012, 03:27 AM
Also, alfdib, if you don't mind my asking - What Operation(s) are you planning to perform with this Volatile Plant Sulfur?

Rebus7
08-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Hi alfdib,

You may find that this YouTube video helps also, particularly for the collector and condenser above :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDojS7PWWPY&feature=related

Andro
08-17-2012, 01:52 PM
You may find that this YouTube video helps also, particularly for the collector and condenser above :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDojS7PWWPY&feature=related

Great video! Basically the same MO I'm using, except that he mixes the plants with the water - and in my case the plant material is only in contact with the steam :)

Also, he leaves it overnight, and with the 'invention' I'm using it only takes about 20-20 minutes. But it's very similar indeed...

Note that there are supposedly only a few droplets of pure oil from the 350 grams of Geranium he used, but he extracts it mixed with water and alcohol.

alfdib
08-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Dear Androgynus,
well, nothing more then trying to get the solfus, the mercury and the salts ( like in Junius book) and then recollect them together.... usual spagyrics works...trying to make a vegetable stone...or something like that.

alfdib
08-23-2012, 10:04 PM
thanks a lot Rebus7 also from me...indeed youtube have a lot of interesting video over this subject!

lwowl
08-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Dear Androgynus,
well, nothing more then trying to get the solfus, the mercury and the salts ( like in Junius book) and then recollect them together.... usual spagyrics works...trying to make a vegetable stone...or something like that.

You might consider other ways to distill the herbal matter.

The Mongolian type of still (Separation and Purification of the Principles) works very well for the Spagyric vegetable work.:

http://alchemylife.org/Pages/YerbaSanta4.html

lwowl