PDA

View Full Version : Soror Mystica

solomon levi
01-06-2009, 12:14 PM
This is a Phoenix-thread (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?t=7) from the old site (http://alchemy-forums.forumotion.com/forum.htm).

Greetings.
I was wondering about the Soror Mystica.
Is this a literal person, a partner that you do alchemy with?
Or is it a term of endearment for nature or spirit or something?
Is there a process or ritual to becoming soror/frater mysticas?
Is it sexual alchemy or something more?

What are your thoughts/experiences on this?
From what I've (quickly) gathered I think it's more of a Jungian concept...I had never seen this phrase before and tried to find some mention of it earlier then the last century and couldn't. Maybe you've had better luck then I... are there any other places that it is mentioned?
This is a BIG ? for aeons. Only Flamel mentioned it, and without anything more. And maybe de Gabalis. I think the best is to have "inner" and "outer" too. That real alchemist boasted she too.
The words 'Soror Mystica' could very well have Rosicrucian roots. Words such as 'soror' and 'frater' express equality and therefore it seems to indicate that it indeed concerns a real woman who also studies the mystical Art while being part of the same society or is a spouse.

From what I've (quickly) gathered I think it's more of a Jungian concept...I had never seen this phrase before and tried to find some mention of it earlier then the last century and couldn't. Maybe you've had better luck then I... are there any other places that it is mentioned?

Well, the little I know of it is references to Flamel and Pernelle and the images in
the Mutus Liber - the male and female partners working together to attain the
great work.
But what we know of Flamel from Fulcanelli led me to consider that there may be some
other meaning, not so simple as "the alchemist's wife" or whatever.
And i can see the obvious connections with what people call sexual alchemy.

But I'm really pondering this because relationships fascinate me, and I'm curious
how alchemical ones would work.
I considered my last partner as my soror mystica.
I once saw her turn venus into mars right before my eyes....
she threw her engagement ring at me.
(A little alchemical humor).

I once saw her turn venus into mars right before my eyes....
she threw her engagement ring at me.
(A little alchemical humor).

That's pretty funny (and a little sad) Solomon.

Thinking on it a little more I might venture a guess that it relates to animated mercury (in the philosophical sense)...
Well, i suppose that a lot of sorors would not throw back ring with a big brilliant.
From some jewish materials: "Who is dreaming that is fucking with his sister, let expect that he will get a higher wisdom, for its written: Proverb 7,4."
Sure there are woman striving and urging for 'Gold' , and not only function as a tool.
alto i cant speak for all of course.

J.G Bennet wrote a little book about the context: Sex

Solo remember what Gurdjieff said about the sex centre and the retort.

Best Regards

Aleilius
06-24-2009, 01:45 AM
For me the Soror Mystica represents a number of things.

1. Nature herself.
2. The whole Art of Alchemy.
3. An actual physical partner or assistant of the female variety.
4. The feminine counterpart of the alchemist.
5. The Mercurial principle.

MiCi
06-24-2009, 04:59 PM
The Soror Mystica is a mirror that helps her true alchemical double learn how to wed emotion and intellect and thus become a guide to men in their effort to overcome the opposites which determine their life and the world around them...

They also provide the reciprocal energy to the belly. ;)

Play_Dough
06-24-2009, 06:40 PM
I found this (link)

http://www.iconoclastpress.com/sorormystica.html
reproduced entirely below...

Written by a fellow (contemporary) alchemist named Jack Haas

The soror mystica, or, mystical sister, is the female half of the male-female partnership. In alchemical lore these two work together seeking the philosopher's stone, or Holy Grail.
My soror and I were brought together by the invisible choreographer, as the saying goes, through a series of dreams and unexpected happenings, which also will be related later. She quickly became my lover, consort, and colleague, as we entered upon the same path, towards a destination neither of us could have imagined.
The alchemical partnership seeks, in essence, to find each person's own divinity through the conscious assistance of another who, in intimate relationship, mirrors back all the aspects of the other's soul which lay hidden; aspects which either taint or cloud the polished vision through which God could otherwise see clearly through human eyes. It is a lengthy process, one requiring commitment and humility to allow its rare completion. But, in fact, every coupleship or marriage is itself the crucible in which this process takes place, albeit mostly on a dark and unconscious level, and therefore everywhere on earth there is the possibility of husband and wife learning about themselves- via the other's stimulation- and of all that lays hidden within, including each one's dormant alter-gender other half; i.e. the man's female side, and the female's male side. And in doing so each reaches a wholeness in which the spirit comes to inhabit the flesh, the two become one, and heaven and earth are united through them.
A good soror or frater will take you inside of them, cut you into pieces, mulch these up, and then reconstruct a whole new you before spitting you back out. The working partnership is like two factories facing one another, which demolish and rebuild the other continually. (End of quoted material)

------

Play_Dough -
I also checked the 'internet anagram server' http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=Soror+Mystica&t=1000&a=n and nothing of significance (opinion) came up, although there were some humorous results, like 'Rosary Sitcom'.

My initial intuitive-impulse (after reading the thread and quoted material) is that the Soror Mystica may be the seed-form of The Alchemical Marriage but in microcosm. Or, restated in light of the other replies in the thread, an intimate relationship where the couple are both practicing 'inner alchemy' (or both practical and spiritual alchemy) and are dedicated to picking the fleas off one-another's psyche in a mutually beneficial 'alchemical relationship'.

aase
07-20-2011, 06:31 AM
From personal experience:

To be someone's soror mystica is to be his Sister in Mystery. A diffuse, shifting role, more closely connected to the spiritual and esoteric and metaphorical than his, but profoundly connected to the shared great Work. An assistant to him, but not a servant to him - the focus is on the shared Work and the needs of the work, not on him and his needs. If the partnership dissolves, the artifex could easily go over to being an alchemist by himself. The soror mystica would most likely pursue her transmutational needs through more esoteric and less practical means. When they work together, though, it is the two of them who perform the work of the alchemist - and so, through their cooperation, two become one.

This is a different union from a sexual (or sexualized) union of opposites The union of others is potent and creative and intense, an interpenetration of two beings. The artifex and the soror mystica move fluidly with and around each other while focusing their energies and attentions on some shared purpose, that shared purpose being something OTHER than the possession of each other. And so, theirs is a much more subtle interaction, a fire with much lower heat if you will.

Which is not to say that the artifex and soror mystica cannot or should not also be lovers. Just to say that they do not have to be. And their shared higher goal does not need to be mutual self-improvement - perhaps it is best if they have some other, outside shared purpose and that mutual self-improvement comes as a side benefit of the work they do together.

I feel incredibly blessed to have found my artifex. For us, it was a blessing and a gift that came as a consequence of working together toward a common goal - and then discovering that our cooperation had an archetypal quality and a power far greater than anything we had ever experienced. And then discovering that there is a name for what we are to each other and the way we work together.

solomon levi
09-08-2011, 05:37 PM
The experiences that I have been having lately are evolving into a soror mystica with my Muse.
I think/see that this is what was meant by the term, soror mystica - a relationship with the
Anima Mundi, the muse, genius, genie, daemon, holy guardian angel, etc.

It can, for a time, manifest as a person, to interact with you. But it really wants you to find it in the mystical world.
Dante had his Beatrice. I am also reminded of the great poets like Kabir, Meera bai and Rumi - cause i feel like
writing poems to my Muse often (which Dante did as well).

This is what is behind the alchemical wedding/marriage IMO.
I am the sun (conscious) and she is the moon (subconscious).
Every time we meet I leave a bit of myself with her, and I know that someday
I will enter there with a greater percentage of my consciousness than i have left here,
and I'll disappear for good.

I often feel that the relationship with one's muse is that thing which is more precious than gold
which the Philosophers talk about.

solomon levi
10-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Wow. What I wrote above is really potent IMO. There is so much more alchemy to
unfold when one has established a relationship/connection with their/the Muse.
Which reminds me, a lot of things started happening to me when I had my first
realization about the Prima Materia. There is a definite connection there with what
I call the Muse, aka genius, HGA (holy guardian angel), agathos daemon, etc, etc.

Anyway, I wanted to share something (I'm doing a lot of sharing today :))
This is kind of special and sacred. It also involves a greater responsibility than one
may be used to, extending beyond this mortal life into the hereafter. So please don't
take this lightly. It's new to me and I am still realizing the consequences, by which
I do not mean anything bad, but I suppose it could be if you connect with someone
who is going to be asleep for a long while. :)

So my Dad and I were talking last week, getting deep and all 'philosophical' about
connectedness/oneness, and he started musing...
(I've mentioned my Dad a couple times recently. I really do mean my genetic father
and not The Father in Heaven or whatever. "Dad" is not a deckname for something else
in this case. :) My Dad is supercool! I'm 43. He's 67. He certainly qualifies for a human
version of Frater Mystica.)

(re-commence musing)... Oh! Actually I think I started it, talking about how trees seed
other trees and that the parent tree and the seedling are still one tree in their consciousness.
Then we went to adapting that to the human sperm and egg, the genetic tree, and accessing
the genetic tree as one consciousness instead of a bunch of separate individuals. And then
he started musing about "Rick-Ron" (our first names conjoined as if one entity) and what if
he had access to all my knowledge and experience and I to his, and we were, together,
creating this astral connection, this astral being "Rick-Ron". And we Mused about it enough
to establish it as a reality. This is very useful if you want to do telepathy, or, as I said, to access
a broader spectrum of knowledge/experience. Both of us already had a connection (of course)
where we are enjoying something and thinking of the other, wishing he were here to share it with.
So now we just share things through "Rick-Ron" instead of having to pick up the phone or wait
to see each other. We've had several "direct hits" where we are contemplating precisely the same
ideas and thoughts.
Anyway, we ended the conversation, agreeing to leave our "Rick-Ron" connection open, indeed,
even to exercise it. Since then, I've seen more and more about this, as I said, the consequences or
implications. Some things have already been written about, let me call it, astral "groups" or "families"
(Robert Monroe comes to mind). You know, those "people" or entities that you meet out of the body
and feel like you know them, and in some fashion, they are waiting for you to evolve or something
to reunite with them as if that is necessary for them to proceed to the next "level".
Maybe I can't even call it consequence. In my visions, this connection was already established (else
I would not have "chosen" or magnetized these particular parents).
Anyway, I'm going to run out of time so I'll wrap this up for now. But this connection, and the responsibility
of being connected to someone is an interesting thing to contemplate. You know, we live a little differently
when we are not living for just ourselves. It's really a plus in my case. And I've begun creating these astral
connections with other family, my son and my sister so far. But in my visions, this astral connection exists
between us all anyway, so I am just emphasizing certain emanations or webs at present. But as I feel more
and more comfortable to take on greater and greater responsibility, I imagine I will emphasize more and more
emanations until I include the whole of humanity.
I am of the opinion that this is something like what a Bodhisattva experiences. My visions say as much.

It's a fascinating area of spiritual growth. Maybe you want to try it. My life changed in a moment when I
saw how selfish I had been, living separately from everyone. I wept for some time. I am very happy about
this new adventure. It opened up my throat chakra, the 5th seal, finally!

MarkostheGnostic
10-21-2011, 12:17 AM
Does anyone know of a piece of writing that can be read at a wedding that expresses the 'Marriage of the Sun and Moon?' I was thinking of having The Emerald Tablet read by the presiding notary, while we stand beneath the relevant symbols in our living room. I'm going to the courthouse for a license tomorrow, but we're going to marry on 11/11/11 @ 11:11 am, EST. Consummation is planned for 2:22 pm. :D

http://i54.tinypic.com/2r2521k.jpg http://i56.tinypic.com/358vzit.jpg http://i54.tinypic.com/by4cy.jpg

solomon levi
10-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Congratulations!!

Hmmm. This is kind of nice. But maybe not quite what you want:
http://kingjbible.com/psalms/19.htm

Salazius
10-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Congratulations too :) Wholeheartedly with you !

MarkostheGnostic
10-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Congratulations too :) Wholeheartedly with you !

Thank you! :)

MarkostheGnostic
10-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Congratulations!!

Hmmm. This is kind of nice. But maybe not quite what you want:
http://kingjbible.com/psalms/19.htm

Oh, I think it is. My first marriage was performed by a Messianic Jewish minister, on the side of the house I grew up in. It was a pretty spot, where my beloved dog Blackie lay buried, where my tether-ball court was, where I launched experimental rockets in which I made my own fuel. That woman turned out to be mentally ill, alcoholic, and morally depraved. There was nothing biblical about our union, as I was deceived from the beginning.

The Psalms are attributed to David. His son was Solomon. Sol + Mo[o]n. This relationship has been successful for 15 years. We will have one, maybe two witnesses, and a notary public who I've known since 2001. It is a legality, and I will only make a cursory mention of the spiritual (probably The Emerald Tablet read). This encompasses my Eastern mind-set (Hatha Yoga, Sun-Moon Yoga), as well as the Western discipline, which CG Jung believed was a Western form of Yoga, and I rather agree. Yoga means Yoke or Union. It is meaningful, and the Western incorporates biblical tradition.

Where does your reservation lie?

solomon levi
10-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Reservation - well, it seems a nice thing to say to marry the Lord,
but perhaps not so romantic to marry a lady :)

MarkostheGnostic
10-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Reservation - well, it seems a nice thing to say to marry the Lord,
but perhaps not so romantic to marry a lady :)

The LORD, for me, is the Sun - Tiphereth - the Witness and Center on the Pillar of Mildness - in the Ethical Triangle: Geburah-Tiphereth-Chesed, on the Tree of Life. The LORD is GOD's immanence (versus transcendent GOD in the Supernal Traiangle). Identification of one's True Self, as opposed to one's body and personality (in Malkuth and the Astral Triangle: Hod-Yesod-Netzach), means that one has crossed the Veil of Paroketh - parted the Veil that separates the Outer Sanctum from the Holy-of-Holies. It is the Knowledge of and Conversation with One's Holy Guardian Angel in Golden Dawn language.

Communion with the LORD means Petitionary Prayer, when one is mostly identified with the Astral Triangle. Union with the LORD means Contemplative Prayer, wherein one is in mystical Union with the LORD. One no longer stands upon the Earth plane, looking upwards towards the Sun, one IS the Sun, and one's earthly identity is seen for what it is - temporal. Mystical Union is the Gnostic 'Bridal Chamber' - the Marriage of the Lunar Yesodic sphere with the Solar spere of Tiphereth. This mystical movement is being manifested in an earthly union. She is outwardly dark, but inwardly a Leo (Sun). I am outwardly light, and inwardly a Moon Child (Cancer). Yin-Yang. Female with masculine Animus, Masculine with feminine Anima. As C.G. Jung maintained, this kind of relationship is indispensible for Individuation to occur - for an Ego-Self Axis to become established (Yesod-Tiphereth axis as it were), drawing from the Earth in Malkuth, and from Heaven in the Supernal Triangle: Chokmah-Kether-Binah.

Or, again, the King and Queen, Shiva-Shakti, Samantabhedra and Samantabhadra, Iesous and Magdalene, Ram and Sita, Osiris and Isis, etc., etc., etc..