PDA

View Full Version : Dream: alchemical stones

gn0sis
09-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Hello all. I have been scouring the internet for data on alchemical symbolism after recently experiencing a recurring dream with stones I eat. I realize it's poor form for your first post on a forum to be a request for production of information, but I'm drawing a blank elsewhere, so I'll get to the point.

In my dreams, I "wake up" to find myself holding a clear, quartz crystal about 10 cm long. Out of the crystal come three stones in succession: red, yellow, and green. The stones are about 3-4 cm in diameter, 1-2 cm deep, and very smoothly rounded on all edges. Each time, I marvel at the stones coming out of the crystal and falling into my hand. For some reason, I eat the colored stones, and the crystal disappears. Suddenly, I am overcome with nausea and sickness, and the dream ends.

A few weeks before this dream started, I drew a mandala (see below). I wanted to explore the idea of the Jungian quaternity and its correspondence to the classical Western elements (earth, water, fire, air). I had read a little Mysterium Coniunctionis, started researching alchemy, and before I knew it I was being broadsided by the very images I had used on my mandala.

Why? Why these images? The stones leapt out as the most obvious alchemical symbol. The number four, also important in alchemy (nigredo, rubedo, albedo, citrinitas) appeared in the stones--whether as four with the crystal or four with the three colored stones and the omission of a fourth blue one (or, if you want to get really arcane, the true classical five with the crystal being quintessence). I realize the alchemical connection may seem somewhat specious, but I have the gut feeling that it is the key to solving this riddle.

Can you help me? Part of my problem is that I don't know what I don't know, so I can't ask for what I should ask for. I'd love your insight if you have any knowledge of alchemical symbolism or process, or just general comments. Thanks!

Mandala referenced above:
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1493/mandalag.jpg
(Yeah, it sucks, but it's for me, not you)

Ghislain
09-04-2012, 07:13 AM
gn0sis

I can't help you in respect of the alchemical symbolism, but there are many here who could.

However I would like to point out what I do see...

The mushrooms at the top will open the middle eye to sharp vision...

the elfin figure has on the cap representing amanita mascaria (the fly agaric)

This once eaten will answer a lot of questions in a round-about way....

The genie could grant your wishes if you meditate your intention before ingesting...

and of course it should have the Ouroboros telling you that you can drink your own urine
after ingestion to continue on the journey.

Just my thoughts, but I am not recommending you partake of the fly agaric as it needs
careful preparation for it can make one violently sick or dead in extreme cases.

Ghislain

gn0sis
09-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Thank you for your reply, Ghislain, and your comments on the mandala. In the mandala, I tried to include a mythological entity, symbol, and plant to correspond to each color/element. The entire project was just a way for me to explore certain ideas with pictures.

Earth is represented by a gnome or leprechaun, and you correctly spotted the amanita as a mushroom and as a pattern on his cap. I made the gnome a miner because of the associations with the underground (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnome). I think the gnome should be familiar as an alchemical symbol too. The colors used for the gnomes clothing were intentionally earthy.

Water is represented by Tiamat, the Ur mother, creator and destroyer, she who dwells in the primordial chaos of the ocean out of which all life is birthed. I chose a poppy for water. It seemed appropriate.

Fire is represented by a djinn, a creature of smokeless fire. The lamp is his symbol, and I used datura stramonium for the fire plant. Anyone familiar with the effects of solanaceae plants will immediately agree that this was an appropriate choice. Haha; I need say no more.

Air is represented by a lightning bolt with Mercurial horns and an eye with a very dilated pupil. The lightning bolt, and Thor's hammer (he being the god of thunder), represent the air and the power in it. The eye represents ascension and enlightenment, associated with air, and because the pupils are hyperdilated there is some question whether the previous plants were involved in making it to this point. The eye has horns to symbolize Mercury, the psychopomp who descends from air to earth and back again. I included an oak leaf for several reasons: in Celtic mythology it is associated with Dagda and lightning, in Nordic mythology with Thor, and in keeping with Mercury as the negotiator between worlds the oak acts as an Axis Mundi by which the other elements may be reached.

Krisztian
09-06-2012, 03:37 AM
There seems to be many layers to your dream.

May I ask what you're reading during the day? What is it that you're exploring in your day-dreams, fantasies, wishes, etc?

Ouroboros
09-06-2012, 08:46 AM
can i tell my dream? :)
i was going on top of some construction of a building. my husband was with me. and as we came on top (it was very high) i see that all top urface was covered in statues. the statues was made of stone and they were in tree groups. first group were owls, second group were some beings with hornes and wings.
and third group at first i was not able to reognize and then i realie that it was leviatan.
i often have interesting dreams and i think that it is important to understand them.

gn0sis
09-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Thank you Krisztian and Ouroboros for your responses.

During the day I mostly read less-than-exciting things like this (http://www.kluwerlaw.com/McmsTemplates/resources/TableOfContentPDF/488.pdf) out of necessity (I'm a student). I like to read books on the social sciences (anthropology, psychology, sociology), but I haven't read much heavy-duty Paracelsus and the like if that's what you are asking. I also check science news, hacker news, technology blogs, and social justice Twitter feeds.

As far as exploring ideas, at the time I saw the mandala as more of something I needed than wanted to do. I wasn't exploring as much as projecting, I guess. I don't think that the world is literally made of four elements, but the association of various elements with mundane objects like plants and mythological constructs like gnomes or dragons just fascinated me when I was making the mandala; I felt that I had to make it almost as a kind of catharsis, as if the ideas were already floating in my head, and I just needed to reduce and systematize that into art meaningful to me.

Krisztian
09-06-2012, 10:02 PM
I don't think that the world is literally made of four elements, but the association of various elements with mundane objects like plants and mythological constructs like gnomes or dragons just fascinated me when I was making the mandala; I felt that I had to make it almost as a kind of catharsis, as if the ideas were already floating in my head, and I just needed to reduce and systematize that into art meaningful to me.

When various archetypal images, symbolism, etc. come forward, it is our task to carry it forward and make something of it. I also paint regularly because I receive distinct images weekly that I'm compelled to put on paper. It's been a guiding light. Thus I asked what you explore with your daily awareness.

Our human side needs the orchestra, the music our soul makes. The more you listen, the greater clarity you get in your daily journey.

I think your drawing is communicating to you to listen to yourself more. There's more soul excavation needed; but I don't believe hallucinogenics are the solution.

Check out my artwork under my profile, if you want. I think we share some similar pursuits, thanks for posting. I'm happy to view any one of your drawings, etc., just let me know.

Ouroboros
09-26-2012, 10:57 AM
there is no theme about explanation of dreams .....i need help to understand my recent dream...
i was walkingthrough some mud with my husband. it was rainig. someone was leading us and showing us way..then i was alone in some kind of canyon. one soldier was down there. water was shallow and bright. but there were some waves and i must jump over them. my husband was on the top and i heard him encourage me. then i beautifull sight open before my eyes....a huge waterfall coming from some kind of spinning circle. water was crystal white. i heard thunder of that water. i start to run toward and it was like slow motion.....infront of waterfall were some pillars, columns. they were built from stones one put on another. theire hight was about my knees. the water stop falling like it let me to go behind it. there was some sort of stove. i rush to put my hands in it. it was warm...i look down and i saw some circle openings near my feet. suddnely i was afraid that the fire will came out there and i make one step behind and pull my hands from stove. then from stove came out metal letters - happy birthday. and then my alarm rang. i urn it off and go bak to sleep...
and dream continued...from the stove came out some metal pitcher and i drink from it. i feel that cold crystal water coming down my trouth. it was beautiful.....
the water was crystal white and cold and the stove behind it was warm and dirty, black and sooty....

Ouroboros
09-26-2012, 11:01 AM
oh i forgot.....on the right side of that waterfall was same place that i was dreaming many times when i was younger - a place with white horses, river , high trees and one boy who was always there. he was about my age. i didn't seee that place now in dream but i felt it. and as yunger always in my dream i was aware that ter was waterfall but i never see it clearly...:)

Krisztian
09-28-2012, 01:19 AM
oh i forgot.....on the right side of that waterfall was same place that i was dreaming many times when i was younger - a place with white horses, river , high trees and one boy who was always there. he was about my age. i didn't seee that place now in dream but i felt it. and as yunger always in my dream i was aware that ter was waterfall but i never see it clearly...:)

It just depends on what paradigm you want to interpret your dream from? From alchemical, you have at least the two elements, fire, water, and perhaps, earth, meaning 'metal letters'. What does the waterfall represent to you?

Waterfall could mean, washing away the pain of the past, refreshing, you long for your childhood (based on several associations), etc.

The colour 'white' (i.e., crystal water), a phase in traditional sequence, is also present in your dream. You may have risen from darkness, troubles, 'black', and generated - calcinated - new life, new truths, 'white'. Did you or do you want to transform something in your life that doesn't sit well? Did something of that sort happen recently?

/

The other point is, sometimes, not all the time, it is best not to 'analyze things', it's best left as a beautiful experience.

Ouroboros
10-08-2012, 11:39 AM
waterfall in that dream was like something that i was looking for very long time, and finely i find it...when i saw it my thought was verbatim - finely.

happy birthday looks like reborn, maybe :)
ohh really beutifull dream. i have really big need to draw it, to make some picture of it...
and for the childhood...i think that i have some unresolved issues from period of early childhood...when i was a bit older kid i remember dreams of one place for which i always searched in my dreams. and i find it every time - behind graveyard, behind some old cottage, on top of some hill, after some woods, park...that place always was there. and now it was in my dream, i didn't see it, i felt that it was there.
it was real green meadow with white horses feeding with that beautifull green grass, there was alley of some real high trees,an behind it was river.
i think i write this already here....and there was waterfall, i've never saw it but i knew it was there.
before this dream i had a lot of dreams of looking something in some buildings, hospitals, market places...and after every door which i had opened the thought in my mind was - this is not it. :) i think i finely find it...
in alchemical relation (though i don't have much knowledge) i think that i pass one black period, and than there was light..:) period..but now i feel like i'm going under again...