PDA

View Full Version : Hobbit houses (natural homes)

Awani
09-06-2012, 03:20 PM
There are a few of these floating around the Web, but this one I liked because it has many pics + detailed story. And it was kind of cheap also to make.

Fed up with huge mortgage payments, Simon Dale decided to take matters into his own hands literally. Armed with only a chisel, a chainsaw and a hammer, the 32-year-old moved his family to a hillside in Wales and started digging. The result is a wooden eco-home constructed in four months and costing just 3,000 which would look perfectly at ease alongside the Hobbit houses in The Lord Of The Rings.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2039719/Simon-Dale-How-I-built-hobbit-house-Wales-just-3-000.html#ixzz25hffOmDA

Good resource: http://naturalhomes.org

:cool:

Andro
09-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Anyone even a bit serious about researching Hobbit Houses has probably already come across this item :)

I LOVE IT ! ! !

Not very different from the way I myself would want to live. Ideally, it would be completely off-grid, with own energy, water, food-growing, etc... maybe just an Internet connection to keep in touch with the outside world...

Andro
09-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Here's one design I like in particular :)

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/androgynus_album/XLHobbitHouse1.jpg

Nibiru
09-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Very cool!!!

If ever I obtain one of these on some nice land, my life shall be complete :)

Andro
09-06-2012, 06:16 PM
If ever I obtain one of these on some nice land, my life shall be complete :)

Well, you know EXACTLY what we're working towards :)

And you will be there (if you so wish), along with our other Friends!

Krisztian
09-06-2012, 10:14 PM
That does look intriguing that is for sure!

I know a good many intellectuals who live off-grid near my town. It's a romantic idea that is also to be for sure. Wants reality sets in, it's insanely difficult work to make it work. I also explored the lifestyle, lived off 100 acres of absolutely beautiful land in a very large, well-built home, 500 meter deep well, monster windows facing trees, etc. while I loved the privacy, it became less practical especially when snow-fall shows itself. Most of those I know age very quickly. They burn out.

Maybe around the Mediterranean, that would be lovely. In Canada, I'm not sure.

Integrating a house with Nature, I think that's the future.

Awani
09-07-2012, 01:36 PM
We are the future;)

Andro
09-07-2012, 01:54 PM
That does look intriguing that is for sure!

I know a good many intellectuals who live off-grid near my town. It's a romantic idea that is also to be for sure.
Wants reality sets in, it's insanely difficult work to make it work. I also explored the lifestyle, lived off 100 acres of absolutely beautiful land in a very large,
well-built home, 500 meter deep well, monster windows facing trees, etc.
While I loved the privacy, it became less practical especially when snow-fall shows itself.
Most of those I know age very quickly. They burn out.
Maybe around the Mediterranean, that would be lovely. In Canada, I'm not sure.
Integrating a house with Nature, I think that's the future.

From an Alchemical text: "Extreme Heat or Extreme Cold give nothing". (Sorry, don't remember the exact source and words, so I'm paraphrasing from memory)

The project I have in mind/planning, is to happen in an ideal temperate climate all year round (an 'Everlasting Spring' of sorts).

The are a few such locations on this planet, where it is possible to have relative seclusion/solitude without being too far away from 'civilization' (for lack of a better term :))

Migrating away from the cold is rather common in nature. Besides, perhaps living off the grid isn't best suited for intellectuals :) (I'm just joking, I don't even know a clear definition of 'intellectuals'...)

Also, living this kind of life, if done right, doesn't mean one has to give up too many 'comforts of modern living' that one may be used to.

It's just a different approach to comfort, a change of perspective more than a change of circumstances. IMO.

Krisztian
09-07-2012, 09:31 PM
From an Alchemical text: "Extreme Heat or Extreme Cold give nothing". (Sorry, don't remember the exact source and words, so I'm paraphrasing from memory)

The project I have in mind/planning, is to happen in an ideal temperate climate all year round (an 'Everlasting Spring' of sorts).

The are a few such locations on this planet, where it is possible to have relative seclusion/solitude without being too far away from 'civilization' (for lack of a better term :))

Migrating away from the cold is rather common in nature. Besides, perhaps living off the grid isn't best suited for intellectuals :) (I'm just joking, I don't even know a clear definition of 'intellectuals'...)

Also, living this kind of life, if done right, doesn't mean one has to give up too many 'comforts of modern living' that one may be used to.

It's just a different approach to comfort, a change of perspective more than a change of circumstances. IMO.

Yes, you make good points Androgynus.

I love my lifestyle here now in Canada, and in a curious way has worked well for my alchemical pursuits. But as you say, a climate that's more neutral, something like my own country in the 70s, 80s, was, I mean Hungary. Not too hot, not too cold, just right.

My partner and I are contemplating to relocate elsewhere in the next 15 years, or perhaps earlier. Very likely we'll own two properties one in this country, and one in another (where we have relatives). That's our reasonable plan. We would live here 3 months, then the rest at the other place. We have it made very well here, if I told you the exact location and you did little research you'll also say that it's prime! I just don't know how long this lifestyle can keep? With local "intellectuals" we're riding the quiet wave until it lasts. That's all.

It's my pleasure hearing about this Thread. I enjoy the postings.