PDA

View Full Version : Question on creating an Ens....

Goldlion973
09-27-2012, 06:27 PM
With the simple method, you are to collect the angel water from the potash, macerate the herb with it along with mercury (alcohol) and simply retrieve the mercury afterward for use as one would a standard tincture. Now, does this mean that the plant mass is now unusable as it is soaked in angel water or can the salts be derived from the mass and mixed with the mercury? Know this sounds stupid but I'm going by M.Stavish's text here, others would be more indepth no doubt but on a beginners level I'm hoping to make one as you would a tincture by separating the essentials first, macerate using angel water and mercury etc

Thanks
GLIII

Andro
09-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Hi GLIII,

Which salts are you referring to?

The recovered potash from the 'angel water'? Or the plant ashes calcined into salt (also mainly potash)?

How (and why) would you intend to mix the salt/s with the Alcohol?

You could make an extracting menstruum by volatilazing the salts (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?2142-Beginning-work-on-the-plant-stone&p=24079#post24079), so they sublime together with the Alcohol, but this would already be closer to Van Helmont's 'Plant Alkahest' (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?2874-Power-of-Frankincense-Myrhhe-and-other-resins&p=24086#post24086) and less a 'classical' Ens process.

Anyway, experiment with what feels right for you...

Just in case, I am posting a different version of the Ens (Melissa) process, from the 'official' RAMS collection:

THE FAMOUS ELIXIR OF LIFE
(Prepared from Balm)

In the proper season of the year, when the herb is at its full growth, and, consequently, its juices in their whole vigor, gather at the fittest time of the day (when Jupiter is rising and the Moon in Cancer is applying to a conjunction, sextile or trine aspect thereto), a sufficient quantity of Balm, wipe it clean and pick it; then put it in a stone mortar, and by laborious beating, reduce it into a thin pap.

Take this glutinous substance and put it into a bolt head, which is to be hermetically sealed, place it in a dunghill or gentle heat equivalent thereto, where it must digest for forty days.

When it is taken out, the matter will appear clearer than ever, and have a quicker scent.

Then, separate the grosser parts, which however are not to be thrown away.

Put this liquid in a gentle bath so that the remaining gross particles may perfectly subside.

In the meantime, dry and calcine the grosser parts (which remained after the above separation) and extract their fixed Salt, which is to be joined to the liquor when filtrated.

Next, take sea Salt, well purified, melt it and by setting it in a cold place, it will dissolve in the humidity of night air and become clear and limpid.

Take of both Liquors and mix them thoroughly, and having hermetically sealed them in a proper glass, let them be carefully exposed to the sun, in the warmest season of the year for about six weeks.

At the end of this space the Primum ENS of the balm will appear swimming at the top like a bright green oil, which is to be carefully separated and then preserved.

Of this oil, a few drops taken in a glass of wine for several days together, will bring to pass those wonders that are reported of the Countess of Desmond and others; for it will entirely change the juices of the human body, reviving the decaying frame of life and restoring the spirits of long lost youth.

The author who records this curious discovery remarks: “If after the medicine is thus prepared, if any doubt be had of its efficacy, or of its manner of operation, let a few drops be given every day on raw meat to any old dog or cat, and in less than a fortnight, by the changing of their coats and other incontestable changes, the virtue of this preparation will sufficiently appear.

Goldlion973
09-27-2012, 08:41 PM
.lol. Sorry, doubt pot ash would do too well as a medicine, meant the salt of the herb. Have read on the salt volatyle process but doubt my ability (thus far) to give it a go. Hoping to make my own potash as oak wood sells for furnaces here and it sems likea simple and fun way of making some strong potassium.c

Krisztian
09-28-2012, 12:57 AM
With the simple method, you are to collect the angel water from the potash, macerate the herb with it along with mercury (alcohol) and simply retrieve the mercury afterward for use as one would a standard tincture. Now, does this mean that the plant mass is now unusable as it is soaked in angel water or can the salts be derived from the mass and mixed with the mercury? Know this sounds stupid but I'm going by M.Stavish's text here, others would be more indepth no doubt but on a beginners level I'm hoping to make one as you would a tincture by separating the essentials first, macerate using angel water and mercury etc.

I have played around with Ens Tinctures in the past, have also picked and made each seven herbs under their respective Planets.

It would be my suggestion that because of the nature of working with Oil of Tartar, it is important to carefully separate the tinged alcohol off of it. The best method I know of, is to keep it in freezer for 48 hours, then the water containing potassium carbonate tends to filter out better.

In reading your comment, yes, you should save the Oil of Tartar (containing the herb left over), one can calcine it, dry it up, and/or use it again. Most things in alchemy shouldn't be thrown out, they can be reused in most cases.

thoth
09-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Hi I find this chap to have a concise description on some of the processes. He suggests not to keep the tartar salt in contact with the plant material for more than 24 hrs, or you start to extract the sulphur from the plant.

http://alchymie.ca/melissaens.htm

True Initiate
09-30-2012, 04:12 AM
It is very dangerous to use glass containers for this experiment because this lye can eat through glass, plastic would be preferable.

Karl
03-07-2013, 04:51 AM
I would look to the original recipe given by Paracelsus for your answers. There are a couple of off definitions as well- angel water is not oil of tartar i.e. the deliquesced liquid formed on potassium carbonate- it is the water which goes over when one distils oil of tartar. The original recipe in translation:

ôSuch a remedy is the Primum Ens, the source of all life. As the fabulous halcyon becomes rejuvenated and its own substance renewed by drawing its nutriment from the Primum Ens, so may man rejuvenate his constitution by purifying it so that it may be able to receive without any interruption the life-giving influences of the divine spirit. But the vehicle that forms the medium through which life acts consists of elementary substances that are found in Nature,and which forms the quintessence of all things. There are some substances in which this quintessence is contained in greater quantities than others, and from which it may more easily be extracted. Such substances are especially the herb called Melissa, and the human blood. But the Primum Ens Melissae is prepared in the following manner: Take half a pound of pure carbonate of potash, and expose it to the air until it is dissolved (by attracting water from the atmosphere). Filter the fluid, and put as many fresh leaves of the plant Melissa into it as it will hold, so that the fluid will cover the leaves. Let it stand in a well-closed glass in a moderately warm place for twenty-four hours. The fluid may then be removed from the leaves, and the latter thrown away. On the top of this fluid absolute alcohol is poured, so that it will cover the former to the height of one or two inches, and it is left to remain for one or two days, or until the alcohol becomes of an intensely green colour. This alcohol is then to be taken away and preserved, and fresh alcohol is put upon the alkaline fluid, and the operation is repeated until all the colouring matter is absorbed by the alcohol. This alcoholic fluid is now to be distilled, and the alcohol evaporated until it becomes of the thickness of a syrup, which is the Primum Ens Melissae; but the alcohol that has been distilled away and the liquid potash may be used again. The liquid potash must be of great concentration and the alcohol of great strength, else they would become mixed, and the experiment would not succeed."

And hi True Puffer! The glass worry is not really because the glass is going to dissolve- it just fogs a little. People warn against it because glassware is usually expensive. I just use pyrex baking dishes I buy at the thrift store for $2. I don't really care about them fogging a little. I would recommend against using plastic for anything like an Ens.