PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Incubator

thoth
09-29-2012, 06:53 PM
I bought one of these incubators, 120 sterling, way cheaper than a lab grade one. It goes from 5C up to 60C. Ideal for doing circulations / extractions.

http://www.theincubatorshop.co.uk/products/details/401.html

Krisztian
09-29-2012, 08:10 PM
I bought one of these incubators, 120 sterling, way cheaper than a lab grade one. It goes from 5C up to 60C. Ideal for doing circulations / extractions.

Good for you. It seems like a device that keeps things simple and straightforward. I also revel in the fact that, primarily, it's designed for incubating eggs.

You may do as you wish, I have made it my business that for anything incubation-related I plug into back-up battery. If you live in a town where electricity can (and does) go out, it's a good investment. Just saying.

Goldlion973
10-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Yup... got the same model... a lot can be had for much cheaper than lab grade prices, is funny what those smart ass scientists spend their money on really... still, found another way of working for an incubator as that model is too small for lets say a pelican/retort reflux. From the same industry, the pet industry, you can buy heat pads and thermostats that function up to 50 degrees C. Probably about 25 in place of fermenting belts and pads that cost just as much for a single item.... the belts are really good, 4m long cable that you can wrap around a flask and heat up via thermostat.... oh yeah, some stats even have settings that allow you to have one temperature for the day and one for the night if you'd like to further simulate nature.

You're in the UK right?

Cheapest company is Swell Reptiles, could have got the grade up for that price... should send it back. Check it out. (http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-incubators-899/reptile-incubators-814/exo-terra-incubator-255496.html)

thoth
10-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Hi Krisztian,

Yea I was looking at using a battery backup. That model has a option for 12v input, so could use a charger module

Goldlion thanks for link. I had also been looking at a submersible heater, around 30 which you can set to partic temp, and then use a large plastix storage box with water, into which could put the smaller storage box which would contain the samples.
No I'm not in UK, but just across the water, so still easier getting from the UK than The Continent

As well as alchemical experiments, for a little light relief, I have 2 litres of organic produced apple juice from a smalltime producer, in that incubator. It turns to cider without any yeast or added sugar. Just stating to get fizzy after 10 days. I guess that juice wasn't pasteurised.

Goldlion973
10-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Wouldn't the water evaporate, or be inconsistent around and about the heat source? You'd be refilling it every so often. Do like the relation to the idea and pregnancy, the primordial waters and such.

Am a fan of cider, have a brand called Kopparberg over here, fruit stuff... goes down well with popcorn and a movie .lol. Speaking of brewing, found that they tend to use round bottomed flasks/carboys with the same idea behind their use as in Alchemy, allows the "wort" (bad name in my opinion) to circulate better while it ferments only that rather than 100 they tend to cost less, like closer to 20 (http://www.hopshopuk.com/categories/view/353/general/fermenters/page:3).... not made of heat proof glass (as far as I know) so I'd be weary of putting one on a mantle but they are VERY thick walled so could probably be used in some way if careful enough... possible to adapt the neck to suit a set up with a rubber stopper or some such.

In light
GLIII