PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Libraries?

Chenkel
10-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Hey folks: Doing some travelling soon. Anyone have any fave libraries that they like to visit? Ritman aside. Not necessarily fancy rare book archives... more like university libraries that have a decent collection that could keep me busy for a while. That's my idea of fun tourism :)

Salazius
10-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Where are you going ? You don't even say that ! :)

Chenkel
10-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Where are you going ? You don't even say that ! :)

Ha! Well... interested to hear thoughts on this no matter where in the world we're talking about.

I'm probably going to go bum around europe for a while and maybe I'll check out some of the fancy places.... But I'd like to hear what you all are finding near you in your local libraries. Near me, I find the collection at the University of Toronto to be quite good, Cornell=good, Carleton University = okay, Queens, Trent, Ottawa U = poorer.

guthrie
11-07-2012, 11:03 PM
The British library has a number of old alchemical texts, including, if you like that sort of thing, a 15th century one subsequently owned by John Dee. (It was nice to handle but I had real trouble reading the handwriting)
Of course first you have to convince them to give you a readers ticket, which you should be able to if you come up with a good excuse about needing to look certain things up for specific research and have proper ID with you.

Or the Ferguson collection in Glasgow has some nice old manuscripts and printed works.
http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/specialcollections/collectionsa-z/fergusoncollection/

Especially in the British library, you should have access to pretty much any journal you want, or any English language book published in the last few centuries.

Krisztian
11-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Or the Ferguson collection in Glasgow has some nice old manuscripts and printed works. http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/specialcollections/collectionsa-z/fergusoncollection/

Thanks for that link, guthrie.

I prefer the original woodcut versions. Stunning!

Chenkel
11-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Nice! Blocks away from the British library as I type. Got a card there and also the wellcome library down the street. Hoping to make it up to Glasgow someday soon! Thx. Any other faves while I'm in the hood?