PDA

View Full Version : Sulphur preparation

aris
10-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Hello alchemical hive-mind,

Is it necessary to animate Sulphur before animating Mercury?
or not necessary in every case?

sincerly,
bm.

shree_uday
10-17-2012, 08:07 AM
No need to animate sulphur before animating Mercury, its having individual process to animate it...

and this is not necessary in every process.

UDay

solomon levi
10-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Sulphur is what animates mercury. Anima = soul = sulphur.
Animated mercury means mercury and sulphur combined and "killing"
eachother (mercury solves sulphur while sulphur simultaneously fixes mercury).

shree_uday
10-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Sol,

Thanks for clear the meaning...

aris
10-29-2012, 05:52 PM
yes thank you for the clarification. I was reading Paracelsus' essay on embryonated sulphur and the concept of animated mercury got confused in my brain. .

amoodikh
11-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Sulphur is what animates mercury. Anima = soul = sulphur.
Animated mercury means mercury and sulphur combined and "killing"
eachother (mercury solves sulphur while sulphur simultaneously fixes mercury).

Hi Sol,

What about adding salt (sea salt) grinding it with ((mercury solves sulphur while sulphur simultaneously fixes mercury) then adding sodium hydroxide solution. I got red substance!

solomon levi
11-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Hi.
Well, if you have animated mercury, then gold or silver is your 'salt' for the red or white stone.
Nothing else is needed. Just cooking. That's what the books say.
Animated/double mercury should dissolve gold like ice in warm water.

guthrie
11-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Hi Sol,

What about adding salt (sea salt) grinding it with ((mercury solves sulphur while sulphur simultaneously fixes mercury) then adding sodium hydroxide solution. I got red substance!

The type of alchemy I'm doing is using old manuscripts, up to the 16th century. IN medieval Europe you usually fixed sulphur by subliming it with stuff, or else put it in a cloth, tie the cloth up and boil in caustic lime solution.
Or you can get a nice red solution by taking 1 part sulphur and 2 of lime, boiling together gently until it turns red. This is the method of Zosimos and Razi, and gives you a lovely red solution. Which is what it sounds like you've made already, since you get polysulphides from sulphur heated in alkaline solution.

Andro
11-06-2012, 10:46 PM
you get polysulphides from sulphur heated in alkaline solution.

Hi Guthrie,

I'm not sure whether the original question of this thread was about Sulfur the element (S) or Sulfur the principle (as in 'Salt & Sulfur & Mercury').

From what I gather of Sol's reply, I'd guess he refers to the principles of Sulfur and Mercury, rather than the periodic table elements (S and Hg).

But I may be wrong... Maybe it would be better if Aris, the OP (Original Poster) who asked the question, gave us a better understanding of what he meant.

Hello alchemical hive-mind

Aris, are you detecting any hive-mind behavior on this forum?

(Sorry for the off-topic, I'm just curious as to what inspired you to address the forum members this way :))

guthrie
11-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Hi Guthrie,

I'm not sure whether the original question of this thread was about Sulfur the element (S) or Sulfur the principle (as in 'Salt & Sulfur & Mercury').

From what I gather of Sol's reply, I'd guess he refers to the principles of Sulfur and Mercury, rather than the periodic table elements (S and Hg).

But I may be wrong... Maybe it would be better if Aris, the OP (Original Poster) who asked the question, gave us a better understanding of what he meant.
Indeed, although I have noticed people often talk around in circles in these matters.

aris
11-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Aris, are you detecting any hive-mind behavior on this forum?

(Sorry for the off-topic, I'm just curious as to what inspired you to address the forum members this way :))

not really. I haven't been a member long, and I usually am awkward in conversation...that's probably the main reason for saying that. I also used to play a lot of Warhammer 40k.
But I like to think of the internet in general as a hive-mind. If you have questions you just connect to everyone's past self and search through their memories.

I was using the terms 'Sulphur' and 'Mercury' to mean the universal principles. I am currently interested in finding out if the Sulphur principle in animals and vegetables--that is, their essential oils--will putrefy of itself or through the addition of some corrosive or digestive aid. I did not intend this to be a discussion on elemental sulphur.

At the moment my thoughts on the matter are that the addition of something is necessary, whether it be a Mercury or a Salt, but I'm keeping an open mind.
Another question on Sulphur I have is, say I have something which is predominantly Salt and Sulphur (as far as I can tell, anyways), will Salt and Sulphur putrefy without the addition of any Mercury to catalyze this action? or is that not how the Salt-Sulphur-Mercury relationship works?

Andro
11-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks for elaborating, Aris! I assume it will be easier for others to address your questions, now that you have provided a little more context.

If there is a particular work you have in mind (like for example a Sulfur from a particular Kingdom/source that you wish to work with), I think it's also good to elaborate on that.

Sulfurs are not always essential (volatile) oils.
The more fixed component of the Sulfur principle is not to be disregarded.
However, for your putrefaction experiments, a Volatile Sulfur sounds like a good starting place.

I also recommend that after doing some reading and searching, you start to experiment by yourself, to test the theory/theories in the Fires of Application.
You may discover very interesting things that you won't read in books and won't hear from others...

Although texts and advice may be (or seem to be) misleading or at least incomplete (most of the time), you have one 'axiom' to rely on:

As my friend Salazius likes to say: Matter Never Lies.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Rw07PAGruf8/UGFt0mQn0xI/AAAAAAAAH-U/iAuNn__HzXA/s1600/image-01-smallsal.jpg (http://dartigne.blogspot.co.il/2012/09/blog-post.html)

Andro
11-07-2012, 09:28 AM
I am currently interested in finding out if the Sulfur principle in animals and vegetables--that is, their essential oils--will putrefy of itself or through the addition of some corrosive or digestive aid.

You may also need to ask yourself some questions, such as:

What are the CAUSES of putrefaction?

What are the necessary conditions for putrefaction to occur?

Are those causes internal, external, or both?

If internal - are there any external conditions to be met, in order to trigger the internal causes?

Have you tried to observe matter putrefy without separating out its principles first? Any matter?
(Such as Water, Dew, Urine, Wine, Plants, Metals, dead animals, etc..)

If we better study and understand the phenomenon of Natural Putrefaction, we may be better equipped to trigger it ourselves in more controlled environments and in more separated and purified principles.

aris
11-08-2012, 05:32 AM
However, for your putrefaction experiments, a Volatile Sulfur sounds like a good starting place.

Agreed. I'm experimenting on some Volatile Sulfur now, but I don't want to ruin it. Then again, fortune favors the bold!
And the fruit of this I hope to use for a number of things ;)

aris
11-10-2012, 09:24 AM
also, i'm really happy about how i leave stuff laying around and something i would have never thought to happen happens. :)