PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on physical/practical Alchemy

Primera Hebi
11-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Hello forum goers, I have two or so questions that I just can't seem to get answered anywhere (not via google or any other forum).

Firstly, what IS true physical Alchemy? One person claims it is simply the quest to turn lead into gold, and another says it is potion brewing and things of the like. One person claims it to be a quest for the Elixir of Life, and another says thats bogus and that Alchemy is simply a fancy, mysterious word for chemistry. I simply wish to know what true physical Alchemy is, not any biased or stereotypical definition (because I have found that many people either refer to the popular anime, Fullmetal Alchemist, or they claim that Alchemy is simply people who live in secrecy pouring ingredients together). Is alchemy one of these things mentioned or is it all of the above?

Second of all, is "practical" Alchemy truly practical? What would physical Alchemy be good for in today's society where almost everything is governed by chemistry and modern sciences(that is, if chemistry and alchemy aren't one and the same)? Also, I know that philosophical/spiritual alchemy are different and hold different rewards, but I'm talking about the physical type.

My apologies if I seem ignorant or foolish, but I am quite new to this art and know little about it (hence why I am asking this question).

Thank you,
~Primera Hebi~

Ghislain
11-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Primera Hebi

I am hardly qualified to answer your question, but I would say they are all inseparable..

It is all the above and more.

A good place to start may be Here (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?39-A-Brief-History-of-Alchemy).

Then browse all the other sections...it will come to you if you are looking.

Ghislain

Primera Hebi
11-03-2012, 01:39 AM
Thank you for pointing me to that thread and the advice. That definitely did answer both my questions and I now truly realize why practical alchemy IS practical.

~Primera Hebi~

Awani
11-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Some additional threads that might be of help in regards to your query:

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?103-Practical-Alchemy-an-introduction

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?2821-Practical-Spiritual-Alchemy

Also in alchemy the same thing carries many names, this can be confusing at first but a good thing to keep in mind when studying this stuff. And finally alchemy is chemistry, the only difference is the spiritual side. You wrote you were only interested in the practical, but in a sense pure practical alchemy is not really alchemy at all but chemistry. Without the spiritual concepts it won't do you any good IMO. Others here might argue otherwise, but there is not ONE truth about this subject matter.

Wherever you find change, you find alchemy!

:cool:

Primera Hebi
11-03-2012, 03:52 PM
I will be sure to check out those threads.
And I am not only interested in physical alchemy, it was just that the questions at the moment pertained to it. These things are all very interesting to me so rest assured I will be taking a look at the spiritual side as well. Much thanks for your response :)

~Primera Hebi~