PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's Question

Primera Hebi
11-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Where does one start? Many recommend that I read alchemical text, but where does a complete beginner who knows very little about the beliefs and terms of alchemy start? Physical and Spiritual aspects (yes, I know I may have to read about each aspect seperately, but which book). Some recommend I read an "intro" book (e.g. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Alchemy). Others say I should read the "classics."

First line of business, introduction book or straight into classic works?

Second of all, if I were to go straight to one of the classics, which one do I read first? Which one will explain/describe the fundamentals? Which one will I learn terms and such from?

Thank you for your time.

~Primera Hebi~

Krisztian
11-07-2012, 01:43 AM
Where does one start?

I'm assuming you intend on pursuing laboratory alchemy, correct?

Read Bartlett's, Stavish's, Cotnoir's, or Dubuis' reflection on what alchemy is. Jack Glass also teaches well. Know the theory first.

Secondly, perhaps find a teacher who can initiate. Alchemy is initiatory in nature, or at least it is for me.

What's your current interest in pursuing alchemy, Primera Hebi?

Primera Hebi
11-07-2012, 02:41 AM
I'm assuming you intend on pursuing laboratory alchemy, correct?

Read Bartlett's, Stavish's, Cotnoir's, or Dubuis' reflection on what alchemy is. Jack Glass also teaches well. Know the theory first.

Secondly, perhaps find a teacher who can initiate. Alchemy is initiatory in nature, or at least it is for me.

What's your current interest in pursuing alchemy, Primera Hebi?

Well, I came to this forum wishing to learn about the laboratory, but now I have became interested in it all (a good thing, I suppose). And will those authors you mentioned define/mention the things I must first learn? Also, my current interest is... All of it. I wish to learn about it all. The spiritual and physical.

Lo!
11-07-2012, 02:52 AM
Honestly I'd recommend reading the kyballion. Seriously you can download it from amazon for 99 cents and it's a great crash course on hermeticism.

Awani
11-07-2012, 07:42 AM
I always recommend The Emerald Tablet (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?17-Emerald-Tablet). I do this mainly because that was the door I went through when I went in to all this alchemy business.

:cool:

Awani
11-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Honestly I'd recommend reading the kyballion. Seriously you can download it from amazon for 99 cents and it's a great crash course on hermeticism.

Don't even need to pay that.

Kybalion, The (http://www.sacred-magick.com/v/SM-Kybalion.pdf) by Three Initiates (pdf) - a key text and a good introduction to Hermetic principles.

I also like:

Alchemy Rediscovered and Restored (http://www.sacred-texts.com/alc/arr/index.htm) by Archibald Cockren

You can find more free texts in the link below:

Alchemy PDF's & E-books (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?84-Alchemy-PDF-s-E-books)

Primera Hebi
11-07-2012, 08:40 PM

Ok I will look into that! Quick question, must I have any prerequisite knowledge to understand?

I always recommend The Emerald Tablet (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?17-Emerald-Tablet). I do this mainly because that was the door I went through when I went in to all this alchemy business.

I will also look into this. I saw it at my local library the other day :)

Thank you all for your responses and recommendations.

EDIT: On the topic of "The Emerald Tablet", are you recommending the one by Dennis Hauck or the one by Hermes?

Awani
11-08-2012, 12:22 AM
EDIT: On the topic of "The Emerald Tablet", are you recommending the one by Dennis Hauck or the one by Hermes?

Well I mean the Hermes one;)

But the Hauck book is very good for beginners... but beware that its focus is on the spiritual aspects, nothing on the practical really (depends on what interests you).

Krisztian
11-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Quick question, must I have any prerequisite knowledge to understand?

Alchemy is guided by a process of sequential initiatory experiences - that's been my journey. So, one needs to 'let go', surrender to what will come your way, be open to where it 'pulls' you. . . and in a very natural fashion follow the trail. Whatever you read; that will open new doors.

Trust yourself. Alchemy is a way of life. It'll confront your insecurities, your 'shadow', will need to overcome 'locked doors' so to speak within yourself.

Others can point the way, to this and to that (which is valid), but essentially alchemy is about illumination! Of your self.

Primera Hebi
11-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Well I mean the Hermes one;)

But the Hauck book is very good for beginners... but beware that its focus is on the spiritual aspects, nothing on the practical really (depends on what interests you).

Thats what I figured... I just wanted to be sure. I think I will read the one by Hermes so I get accustomed to the traditional beliefs and theories. Much thanks dev.

Alchemy is guided by a process of sequential initiatory experiences - that's been my journey. So, one needs to 'let go', surrender to what will come your way, be open to where it 'pulls' you. . . and in a very natural fashion follow the trail. Whatever you read; that will open new doors.

Trust yourself. Alchemy is a way of life. It'll confront your insecurities, your 'shadow', will need to overcome 'locked doors' so to speak within yourself.

Others can point the way, to this and to that (which is valid), but essentially alchemy is about illumination! Of your self.

Very deep advice... I will be sure to think about that as I continue my journey. Thank you.