PDA

View Full Version : Potassium Carbonate From Charcoal?

TheAlchemist
11-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Hello all, I am new to the forum but not to Alchemy.....

I had a question for you guys and gals out there.....has anyone made potassium carbonate from using ashes from charcoal as opposed to ashes from burning wood?

I think I already know the answer, but I am curious to see what you guys think......a friend has this very HUGE collection of grey ash, but it all came from the grill which used the black little bricks of charcoal, I think he even told me that they only ever used Match Lite charcoal which already came presoaked in lighter fluid....

What do you think??

Be well

Ghislain
11-08-2012, 03:08 PM
If you're not interested in where your potassium carbonate comes from the you may as well buy it.

If you are concerned then how much do you know about the source of Match Lite Charcoal?

Ghislain

Krisztian
11-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I had a question for you guys and gals out there.....has anyone made potassium carbonate from using ashes from charcoal as opposed to ashes from burning wood?

I wouldn't feel comfortable with the situation you described, TheAlchemist. Be careful.

Having said that, it could be a blessing in disguise in terms of lab experimenting. Explore the situation and see where it leads! Conduct double experiment with certified potassium carbonate and the chemical derived from charcoal. See the differences, if any?

I often ask myself why things have come my way the way they did? Alchemy is full of surprises and turn of events that can lead in mysterious ways.

TheAlchemist
11-08-2012, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't feel comfortable with the situation you described, TheAlchemist. Be careful.

Having said that, it could be a blessing in disguise in terms of lab experimenting. Explore the situation and see where it leads! Conduct double experiment with certified potassium carbonate and the chemical derived from charcoal. See the differences, if any?

I often ask myself why things have come my way the way they did? Alchemy is full of surprises and turn of events that can lead in mysterious ways.

Thank you for that very well thought post. I appreciate the information......

And that is also why I made this post, because Alchemy always seems to bring things to you as you mentioned. My first thought was no way.......but then after I thought a little more about it, I had wondered maybe if someone was trying to tell me something or show me something.....

Anyhow I think I will follow your advice and conduct a double experiment of sorts using a sample from my buddies "stash", and then I will compare to mine that I make with fallen timber from the woods, which is the way I have always made it for many many years now.........

Thanks again!

TheAlchemist
11-08-2012, 10:14 PM
If you're not interested in where your potassium carbonate comes from the you may as well buy it.

If you are concerned then how much do you know about the source of Match Lite Charcoal?

Ghislain

Apparently you did not read my post or comprehend what was posted.....

But thanks anyways!

Krisztian
11-08-2012, 10:57 PM
My first thought was no way.......but then after I thought a little more about it, I had wondered maybe if someone was trying to tell me something or show me something.

Listen, my first thought is also always 'no way'. Then I relax. And it begins to make sense, more and more. I now, these days, meditate on whatever 'mystery' approaches me in relation to alchemy. It would seem that at every turn there's one or two of these obstacles to overcome. It's fun. (Some would call it, initiation.)

guthrie
11-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Probably, but the question is, the charcoal your friend uses, was it briquettes or real charcoal? Briquettes use clay and fillers of various sorts to give them a longer and more even burning time, thus would contaminate your attempts at getting potassium carbonate.

Ghislain
11-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Apparently you did not read my post or comprehend what was posted.....

But thanks anyways!

I did read your post, but my concerns were the same as those of Guthrie about contamination.

I created a thread "Making Potash" (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?1205-Making-Potash) where I took ash from a friends wood burner to create my potash but it came out yellow
and so I assume it was very contaminated. I never did manage to remove the contaminates and thus I couldn’t risk using it
in spagyric processes.

Ghislain