PDA

View Full Version : thaumaturgical operations

solomon levi
11-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Wikipedia defines Thaumaturgy: (from the Greek words θαῦμα thaûma, meaning "miracle" or "marvel" and ἔργον érgon, meaning "work") is the capability of a saint to work miracles. It is sometimes translated into English as wonderworking. A practitioner of thaumaturgy is a thaumaturge, thaumaturgist or miracle-worker.

Ok - saint, alchemist... same thing. :)

(following definitions from online etymology dictionary)

saint (n.)
early 12c., from O.Fr. seinte, altering O.E. sanct, both from L. sanctus "holy, consecrated" (used as a noun in L.L.), prop. pp. of sancire "consecrate" (see sacred).

consecrate (v.)
late 14c., from L. consecratus, pp. of consecrare "to make holy, devote," from com- "together" (see com-) + sacrare (see sacred).

desecrate (v.)
1670s, formed from de- "do the opposite of" (see de-) + stem of consecrate. O.Fr. had dessacrer "to profane," and there is a similar formation in Italian;

It's interesting how these relate to philosophical and mundane/crude/common;
and also how they relate to orgone and DOR, stepping stone and stumbling block.

How do we make something sacred (sacrifice means "to make sacred")?
Through fire, water/baptism, oil/anointing/consecrating, blood:

bless (v.)
O.E. bletsian, bledsian, Northumbrian bloedsian "to consecrate, make holy, give thanks," from P.Gmc. *blodison "hallow with blood, mark with blood," from *blotham "blood" (see blood).
Originally a blood sprinkling on pagan altars. This word was chosen in Old English bibles to translate L. benedicere and Gk. eulogein, both of which have a ground sense of "to speak well of, to praise," but were used in Scripture to translate Heb. brk "to bend (the knee), worship, praise, invoke blessings." Meaning shifted in late Old English toward "pronounce or make happy," by resemblance to unrelated bliss.

So, I have some great ideas for thaumaturgical alchemy operations but I want
to ask does anyone practice? Is there an interest?

Any magical operation is potentially dangerous if the alchemist is not sufficiently
mature and wise. I'm not sure I should even mention these things here. What do you think?

solomon levi
11-15-2012, 10:36 AM
If this does kick off, it could have a separate sub-section or something.
I'm kinda surprised no one has asked for a magic(k)al section.
It should include theurgy as well:
Theurgy (from Greek θεουργία) describes the practice of rituals, sometimes seen as magical in nature, performed with the intention of invoking the action or evoking the presence of one or more gods, especially with the goal of uniting with the divine, achieving henosis, and perfecting oneself.

Proclus (c. 480): theurgy is "a power higher than all human wisdom embracing the blessings of divination, the purifying powers of initiation and in a word all the operations of divine possession”[1]
Keith Thomas: “Spiritual magic or theurgy was based on the idea that one could reach God in an ascent up the scale of creation made possible by a rigorous course of prayer, fasting and devotional preparation.”[2]
Anne Sheppard: “Theurgy, the religious magic practised by the later Neoplatonists, has been commonly regarded as the point at which Neoplatonism degenerates into magic, superstition and irrationalism. A superficial glance at the ancient lives of the Neoplatonists, and in particular at Eunapius’ Lives of the Sophists, reveals a group of people interested in animating statues, favoured with visions of gods and demons, and skilled in rain-making”[3]
Pierre A. Riffard: “Theurgy is a type of magic. It consists of a set of magical practices performed to evoke beneficent spirits in order to see them or know them or in order to influence them, for instance by forcing them to animate a statue, to inhabit a human being (such as a medium), or to disclose mysteries.”[4]

solomon levi
11-15-2012, 12:45 PM
So here's the teaser:

1) True, without falsehood, certain, most certain.
2) What is above is like what is below, and what is below is like that which is above. To make the miracle of the one thing.
3) And as all things were made from contemplation of one, so all things were born from one adaptation.
4) Its father is the Sun, its mother is the Moon.
5) The wind carried it in its womb, the earth breast fed it.
6) It is the father of all ‘works of wonder' (Telesmi) in the world.

On #6
Burckhardt: the word talisman is derived from Telesma. Talismans work by corresponding to their prototype, and by making a "‘condensation', on the subtle plane, of a spiritual state. This explains the similarity between the talisman, as the bearer of an invisible influence, and the alchemical elixir, as the ‘ferment' of metallic transformation".

http://www.sacred-texts.com/alc/emerald.htm

talisman (n.)
1630s, from Fr. talisman, in part via Arabic tilsam (pl. tilsaman), a Greek loan-word; in part directly from Byzantine Gk. telesma "talisman, religious rite, payment," earlier "consecration, ceremony," originally "completion," from telein "perform (religious rites), pay (tax), fulfill," from telos "completion, end, tax"

sigil (n.)
"sign," c.1600, from L.L. sigillum, from L. sigilla (neuter plural), dim. of signum "sign" (see sign (n.)). In astrology, an occult device supposed to have great power (1650s).

A seal is a device for making an impression in wax, clay, paper, or some other medium, including an embossment on paper, and is also the impression thus made. The original purpose was to authenticate a document, a wrapper for one such as a modern envelope, or the cover of a container or package holding valuables or other objects. The sealing process is essentially that of a mould, with the final image represented on the device for making the impression by a mirror-image design, incised in sunken- (or counter-) relief or intaglio.

The seal-making device is also referred to as the seal matrix or die; the imprint it creates as the seal impression (or, more rarely, the sealing).[1] If the impression is made purely as a relief resulting from the greater pressure on the paper where the high parts of the matrix touch, the seal is known as a dry seal; in all other cases a liquid or liquified medium (such as ink or wax) is used, usually in another color than the paper.

For legal purposes, the definition of a seal may be extended to include rubber stamps,[2] or writing specified words ("seal" or "L.S.").[3]

In the United States, the word "seal" is sometimes assigned to a facsimile of the seal design (in monochrome or color), which may be used in a variety of contexts including architectural settings, on flags, or on official letterheads. Thus, for example, the Great Seal of the United States, among other uses, appears on the reverse of the one-dollar bill; and several of the seals of the U.S. states appear on their respective state flags. In Europe, although coats of arms and heraldic badges may well feature in such contexts as well as on seals, the seal design in its entirety rarely appears as an emblem.

The study of seals is known as sigillography or sphragistics.

solomon levi
11-15-2012, 10:40 PM
So the only warning I can give is don't play with this if you don't know what you're doing.
There is a real possibility of inviting a Pandora's box into your world.
But this is true of any alchemy.

I'm sure you know the work of Dr. Emoto:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-hQD8Bx52s&feature=fvwrel

Now this is all speculation/theory on my part, so experiment at your own risk.

But didn't many alchemists tell us the first matter is water.
And if Dr. Emoto can put words and glyphs on water, what would an alchemical sigil do?

And don't the alchemists tell us to start with Saturn?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkmm0vdgSND823CrNKyhgK9icPKn-RLvO0-YFLDR9FBnNk41kTww

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUpLcrIh_Sev7quUdJGC6mTs7IVo2gh SpTtG_3pbkOGe5bfmdI

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDaUPGTiYLZ3vFZe486kuNsjEZRagCX gunuhaUOGkl4ediH8-XqQ

So if Fulcanelli already told us scel/sel = salt/seal,
Is the seal of Saturn the salt, the intelligence the soul/sulphur
and the spirit of saturn the mercury - theurgically speaking?

I just want to inspire thoughts and inquiry.
I don't know if what I am saying is true.
But the pointing seems significant enough to warrant some experimentation.

Please properly protect yourself.
If you don't know how, do not mess with this.
We could start a thread on protection, but this is a great secret in lab alchemy...
the theurgical process only slightly varies in substance/density.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiaLe4CaG3TmRm-Tciqdg0_S2UDzUTaWgITPUeDBC8Kw-Wl3L2zA

nesting.