PDA

View Full Version : Anthropomorphism In Alchemcal Symbolism & Imagery

Ilos
11-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Hey guys
I have noticed in alchemical art theres almost always something human or animal describing the spiritual forces or the creation of an alchemical process which explains once again that theres only one way to describe something unique or divine, is through Anthropomorphism for that reason that a humans brain has got to have an existing thing in order to understand. What does this explain is that no matter what still first we have got to believe in order to see through, and and beyond whats only here, we have to believe in order to understand and unlock the answers. And to do that it is to listen to our inner feelings and consciousness flows.
Here I want to put a picture (since I think that it is something related to Anthropomorphism), to give a better idea what I mean about this subject and maybe listen to others opinions :)
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7378/tumblrmbv1rv23k2o91280.jpg

Krisztian
11-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I have noticed in alchemical art theres almost always something human or animal describing the spiritual forces or the creation of an alchemical process which explains once again that theres only one way to describe something unique or divine, is through Anthropomorphism for that reason that a humans brain has got to have an existing thing in order to understand. What does this explain is that no matter what still first we have got to believe in order to see through, and and beyond whats only here, we have to believe in order to understand and unlock the answers. And to do that it is to listen to our inner feelings and consciousness flows.

I enjoyed what you said, Ilos.

In modern era, it would seem, behind-the-scene-Schools profess to follow alchemy, in different ways. One of the approaches conceptualizes the role of the alchemist as something where he must 'pull out' (viz., inner exploration) from Self the knowledge that one needs to complete the Magnum Opus. This, they refer to as illumination. The alchemical art appears to refer to personalized figures that are collectively also present in terms of the structure of psyché. All things are alive; and can be understood only by personal or teacher-assisted initiation. Without such, they're only amusing images! The advent of modern intellect has somewhat ruined this mystery, I believe.

So, I do not see the alchemy-related art, symbols without anthropomorphism. It seems to come with the territory, as the saying goes. But it isn't unlike what, as far back as, Plato maintained.

Anyone else, have your say?

Awani
11-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Good topic.

The presence of anthropomorphism in alchemical drawings as well as in cave art is, to me, a clue/hint that perhaps psychedelics (or at least some form of altered state) are a seed of both. In this state such creatures are the norm and in many tribal cultures anthropomorphism is common. Many of these use entheogens.

The link between entheogens and alchemy are many and is an area that, as most of you here that have read my posts know, I am very interested in.

Altered states can be achieved naturally, so I have heard, but I do not have a direct experience with this myself so I can't say for sure... but if you are interested in alchemy you must be interested in altered states. Change is what it is all about, but also controlling/creating this change.

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?14-Aurora-Consurgens

:cool:

Andro
11-20-2012, 09:25 PM
The presence of anthropomorphism in alchemical drawings as well as in cave art is, to me, a clue/hint that perhaps psychedelics (or at least some form of altered state) are a seed of both.
In this state such creatures are the norm and in many tribal cultures anthropomorphism is common.

Human as well Animal and Plant symbolism are common in both Alchemy and Shamanic cultures, and are IMO very likely to be related to 'altered states'.
Various Shamanic cultures have their own 'Power Animals' from the Spirit World.
We encounter such 'Power Animals' in Alchemical symbolism as well - The Wolf, the Dragon, the Snake, the Dove, the Eagle, the Crow/Raven, the Lion, the Lamb, the Deer, the Unicorn, the Fish and many others.
The connection is pretty obvious to me.

Altered states can be achieved naturally, so I have heard, but I do not have a direct experience with this myself so I can't say for sure... but if you are interested in alchemy you must be interested in altered states.

Many times when we wake up naturally from sleep, we have this 'In-Between' period, between the dreamworld and the physical world. So, in a way, we all experience altered states of sorts.

Besides, the brain/pineal gland is known to produce its own variation of a DMT compound, possibly facilitating the altered states we are experiencing.

solomon levi
11-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Anthropomorphism: The attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object.

I don't know. Is it anything other than saying man has an animal nature
and a god nature?
Beyond that, it gets complicated.

Awani
11-21-2012, 12:26 AM
Many times when we wake up naturally from sleep, we have this 'In-Between' period, between the dreamworld and the physical world. So, in a way, we all experience altered states of sorts.

Yes I forgot about that. It is a very nice state. The other day I had a 'bad' dream during this period. And for a long time during the day I was worried... then I remembered that my worry was from something in the dream and not, as we say, real. So it can be powerful and long lasting.

:cool: