PDA

View Full Version : Latin Grammar / Blog

Steven
12-04-2012, 12:29 AM
I have an idea for a blog that I want to create. The subject matter would be that of Western mystery traditions, Alchemy, Kabbalah, Astrology, Hermeticism, etc. I have more or less settled on a name and would like your opinion. The blog name thus far would be: Ars Mysticus. Meaning - The Art/Way of the mystic.

Thanks,
Steven

Bel Matina
12-05-2012, 03:10 AM
Ars is feminine, hence Ars Mystica.

Steven
02-15-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm still trying to come up with a good name for by blog, but I'm not well versed in Latin to make sure it is grammatically correct, etc. Additionally any other name ideas that anyone wishes to present are welcome. This is a personal, not for profit blog BTW.

A couple of name ideas:
Ars Alchimia - By its name, this would cover just alchemy.
Ars Illumino - By its name, this would cover everything as listed above. But I'm not sure if it is correct grammatically / gender, etc.

It does not have to contain two words or the word Ars. If, as they say, it can be described in one so be it. I'm just looking for a good name that flows nicely.

Again any thoughts, ideas, etc - are welcome.
Steven

Steven
02-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Which one of these would have correct gender / grammar?

magnus arcana
OR
magnus arcanum

Any help would be appreciated.
Steven

Steven
02-17-2013, 11:28 PM
A friend of mine has helped me with the translation of what I needed.

Magnus Arcana = Great secrets. Arcana, plural as in groups, etc.
Magnus Arcanum = Great secret. Arcanum, singular.

So we have decided to go with Magnus Arcana for the site name as were are discussing multiple facets/groups of information.

Steven

teofrast40
02-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Hallo Steven
The correct declination would be
Magna arcana (neutral plural)
Or
magnum arcanum (neutral singular)
The forms you cited are incorrect
Best wishes
t

Steven
02-18-2013, 02:05 AM
Hallo Steven
The correct declination would be
Magna arcana (neutral plural)
Or
magnum arcanum (neutral singular)
The forms you cited are incorrect
Best wishes
t

I'm curious. Just as Magnus Opus is the Great Work, why would it not be Magnus Arcana for Great Secrets. I'm just really trying to iron this out before I dedicate a lot of time and money into setting things up. Then come to find out my name/grammar is wrong.

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.
Steven

Ghislain
02-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Steven

Latinam mortuam esse lingua.

Scribere vestra titulum in anglicus.

Just a suggestion...

Ghislain

Steven
02-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Steven

Latinam mortuam esse lingua.

Scribere vestra titulum in anglicus.

Just a suggestion...

Ghislain

Writing the name in English is not possible as the name is taken within the blog platform that I use, Blogger, so I have to come up with another way, or another name to use. This is why I was looking at Magnus Arcana or Magna Arcana, whichever one is correct. They both translate the same, at least according to Google Translate. So I'm not sure which one is correct grammar etc.

Thanks
Steven

teofrast40
02-18-2013, 02:06 PM
I'm curious. Just as Magnus Opus is the Great Work, why would it not be Magnus Arcana for Great Secrets. I'm just really trying to iron this out before I dedicate a lot of time and money into setting things up. Then come to find out my name/grammar is wrong.

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.
Steven

Because the adjective must be coordinated (in gender and in case) to the substantive it refers.
Cheers
t

Bel Matina
02-21-2013, 05:24 AM
It's actually Opus Magnum. Opus is a neuter s-stem, and has a funny declension - it's opus in the nominative/accusative singular, and in all other cases uses the stem oper- with normal third declension endings.

Chimia/Alchimia is a noun, from Greek, not an adjective. Chimica/Alchimica would be the relevant adjective. Illumino is a verb. I'm not sure what adjective you're trying to render by it.

Generally speaking the adjective falls after the noun it modifies, except for emphasis.

Study up on your Latin and Greek or you won't get any of the jokes.