PDA

View Full Version : Ahoy, mates!

thrival
02-02-2013, 07:33 AM
I typed a long, descriptive introduction but the log-in faeries timed out and ate my work, so I get to do it again, shorter this time.

It's taken me half a century to marshal the first resource to begin experiments-- a house. When I lived in an apt, neighbors complained about the smells emanating from down the hall.

And last summer my new neighbors sent me a message via 4 policemen and 4 fireman, for a smoking oil-fired backyard foundry/kiln. The kiln has been replaced with electric, I lose less ware to cracking now. Oil-fueled foundries are great for smelting, but the temp from blast-burners can be difficult to manage.

Never place cold jugs on hot plates, they tend to lose their bottoms! (I lost half-a years worth of fermented golden water that way.) It's also wise to disconnect your hoses after distilling, they tend to violently backflush otherwise, same results. (Lessons learned using cobbled ware.)

Glauber was the man!

Ego is an imp, desperately trying to convince humanity how important it is. I could go on, but wouldn't it be better to contribute one's experiences when and where they're useful? It's very likely that I share the same goals as the rest of you-- (health, wealth, spiritual revelation, charity for all), but I'm using a different meat-puppet. :D

Andro
02-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Welcome to Alchemy Forums!

Looking forward to your sharing, and I hope your time here will be well spent!

Re: Log-In time out: Just check the Remember Me box under your log-in info, and you will stay logged in until you manually log out (or some other catastrophe occurs :)) - so you'll be less likely to lose posts.

Still, it can be a good idea to at least copy your post to the virtual clipboard before hitting Reply, or use an external text editor to paste it to, even if only temporarily...

Awani
02-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Welcome!

:cool:

Krisztian
02-02-2013, 06:15 PM
It's taken me half a century to marshal the first resource to begin experiments-- a house. When I lived in an apt, neighbors complained about the smells emanating from down the hall.

I know the feeling. I just recently learned that my name has been attached to the title of "the occultist" by neighbours. An engineer (also a rather superstitious man) attributed what he calls as the 'unexplainable issues' with the electricity [of the house I lived in] to my occult practices. He was serious; no, I didn't do my laboratory work in that home.

And last summer my new neighbors sent me a message via 4 policemen and 4 fireman, for a smoking oil-fired backyard foundry/kiln.

Now, that's not fun. I live in a small town as is, while I have connection because of the association with my lodge, I wouldn't want to be involved in that. I hope you didn't get too entangled?

Welcome!

thrival
02-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Thank you, all!

Krisztian: I live in a town of roughly 90,000; the police & fire aren't too personal, just doing their jobs. It blew over, the fire marshall visited later, I showed him what I was doing, he said the kiln (refractory-lined garbage can, with lid) was legal, but he could give me a ticket in future if smoke became a nuisance. That motivated me to build a much smaller furnace that fits inside my living room fire-place! So now I can do experiments (melting salts) without neighbors noticing (most of the time.) Of course smelting metals is always outdoor work.

zoas23
02-02-2013, 10:48 PM
I've learnt in this forum that a nice and easy way to avoid making a lot of smoke (if you are calcinating herbs/vegetables) is using a butane or propane torch directly on the herbs (not heating the vessel, but "burning" the herbs directly).
It does make a HUGE difference in the amount of smoke you create (something like 95% less smoke).
I am doing it indoors and even indoors it's not a problem at all (it doesn't make much more smoke than a cigarette).
And then you simply go on as you usually do...

Didn't notice any kind of different "effect" in the final result... the only difference is that the amount of smoke is reduced a lot.

solomon levi
02-02-2013, 11:29 PM
welcome!

Krisztian
02-03-2013, 11:28 PM
I live in a town of roughly 90,000; the police & fire aren't too personal, just doing their jobs. It blew over, the fire marshall visited later, I showed him what I was doing, he said the kiln (refractory-lined garbage can, with lid) was legal, but he could give me a ticket in future if smoke became a nuisance. That motivated me to build a much smaller furnace that fits inside my living room fire-place! So now I can do experiments (melting salts) without neighbors noticing (most of the time.) Of course smelting metals is always outdoor work.

Something seemingly troublesome turning out to be a blessing in disguise, eh?