PDA

View Full Version : Hello

saradippity
02-28-2013, 02:57 PM
So I'm here because I'm new to alchemy and would like a resource to turn to with questions. I'm a Pagan with a mostly Wiccan flavor to it (mostly because here in the Bible Belt in my early teens, books on Wicca found buried in the "liberal" bookstore were the only non-mainstream religion topic found that described the things I felt in my heart about the way I feel the world works- now I think my spirituality is a lot more vague but I can't help but be heavily influenced by the symbolism I learned there). I'm in my late thirties, a single mother about six months away from a BA in Psychology. Not sure yet if I'll get a Masters, I need to work a while first.

I've been interested in Alchemy for years (both the spiritual and practical aspects), but in my early twenties I stopped practicing for a number of years. I won't go into it, but I mention it so I can point out that while I've had my beliefs for a while, my experience is patchy. Back when I was younger I had no money for resources like books or tools (did just fine with the woods and my quartz crystal, I'm actually quite appreciative of how the experience taught me to listen to my intuition and the world around me). I had some knowledge of herbalism and wild foods, but only small knowledge that I didn't trust.

Now that I'm older and able to carry on my life as I wish to, I've started (only just begun) to look more into the Alchemy I've always been drawn to. I've been reading when I have time, but as a mother/student my progress is slow. I'm starting the journey by using Tarot cards for meditations and personal transformation and through my herbalism. I've had some great experience with it, and am looking forward to taking the practical aspect a little further by modifying my approach to herbalism.

Bel Matina
02-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Fortunately the need for equipment in alchemy is highly overstated. Understand that you are your laboratory and your experimental material, and you won't stray far from the path.

We have a diverse but friendly community here, welcome!

Krisztian
02-28-2013, 04:48 PM
I think my spirituality is a lot more vague but I can't help but be heavily influenced by the symbolism I learned there). I'm in my late thirties, . . . BA in Psychology. Not sure yet if I'll get a Masters, I need to work a while first.

Well, you and I have a few things in common. I'm also a psychologist; while I find it interesting this field, it also can be quite myopic and, from one era to the next, kind of trendy with concepts and recycled approaches. That's why I favour alchemy, practical work, because the efforts of our brothers and sisters are still valued in modern circles. That cannot be said of psychology, especially when one moves away from academia and does field work.

I hope this Forum will provide some useful directions.

Welcome!

glenerson
02-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Welcome. I'm looking forward to reading your views and ideas.

Awani
02-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Welcome!

:cool:

saradippity
02-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Oh, I'm not a psychologist, just a wannabe. Maybe one day. Interesting point about how the field turns away from its history. I never really thought about it like that, maybe because I'm so rooted in history that I never noticed the lack. I've noticed the evolution forward, but it does seem almost like it's running from its past. And thanks all, for the welcome.

Krisztian
03-01-2013, 04:10 AM
Oh, I'm not a psychologist, just a wannabe. Maybe one day.

Which area of concentration is your interest? Counselling, forensic, criminology, clinical, educational, industrial/organizational, ect?

Interesting point about how the field turns away from its history. I never really thought about it like that, maybe because I'm so rooted in history that I never noticed the lack. I've noticed the evolution forward, but it does seem almost like it's running from its past.

It's the same concept being recycled over and over again, in different package, calling it different names. I haven't been to an original workshop in the past 14 years.

saradippity
03-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Counseling, for the homeless, battered women, or runaway teens. Which, working with any one of those populations means I'll be working with all of them. Well, that was the original plan but it could be a while and it feels like it's not going to end up in the direction I started in. Not sure yet how feasible graduate school is. Maybe the recycling simply has to do with the pressures of academia, that whole publish or perish thing.

Awani
03-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Well it is good to have a few more women here (judging from your name). Pretty male oriented (alchemy). Not that gender matters but it is good to have diversity.

Old thread: http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?679-Female-Alchemists

:cool:

saradippity
03-03-2013, 09:12 AM
You know, I didn't think about the fact that I'd likely be one of few females (and yes, the name and mother status means I qualify as that). The more hermetic branches in general tend to be mostly male, so that makes sense.

Salazius
03-03-2013, 10:39 AM
When an Alchemist watch over the Philosophical Egg he becomes a mother too.

solomon levi
03-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Greetings Sara!