PDA

View Full Version : Will someone explain to me magnetic stirers

turtleman
03-04-2013, 02:57 AM
How do they work will it involve metal in the liquid of must you add something? Also are they even fit for use in alchemy? I can see the magnetic field screwing with all sorts of things.

Ghislain
03-04-2013, 04:55 AM
Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_stirrer) is an explanation of a magnetic stirer...it's easy to Google

Ghislain

turtleman
03-04-2013, 08:34 PM
yes I tried but failed but ah well thank you for the link

Krisztian
03-04-2013, 10:38 PM
How do they work will it involve metal in the liquid of must you add something? Also are they even fit for use in alchemy? I can see the magnetic field screwing with all sorts of things.

I prefer to approach all alchemical operations, from the basic and simple mindset, relying on solutions that my brothers of Old could also perform (in their time period).

The magnetic aspect of the stirrer has always bothered me as well, believe me. For some operations maybe it wouldn't matter; but one can always hire an assistant to stir or, take up oneself the labour? (Then you can say you truly sweated for this elixir! Wink.)

solomon levi
03-05-2013, 05:03 AM
i'm pretty sure there are ceramics which can eliminate metal concerns. the magnetic field is another consideration, depending on your matter and method. in some instances, it could be beneficial or even requisite. :) perhaps you've noticed the use of magnetite sand baths by some of our resident alchemists...