PDA

View Full Version : more options = better?

solomon levi
03-05-2013, 03:15 AM
In NLP, this is one of their conscious presumptions... that more options is better.
I agree/align with this. It just feels right for me.
I read this today, and "less options" just jumps out at me.

"Our most important task is to transform our consciousness so that violence is no longer an option for us in our personal lives, that understanding that a world of peace is possible only if we relate to each other as peaceful beings, one individual at a time." - Deepak Chopra

I do agree, IF one transforms one's consciousness, it is a natural side-effect that violence becomes inapplicable.
But most people reading this quote will TRY to be non-violent, to repress, which is never "good", always causing schism/division in consciousness/self - less integrity.
Violence isn't bad. Violence is a natural reaction/side-effect of consciousness.
For me, Deepak uses the wrong words here and poorly educates... "transform our consciousness so that..."
This makes it seem that non-violence is the goal. Non-violence is just a side-effect. To make it a goal makes it unacheivable, because violence is conflict, and future goals are in direct conflict with the present "what is", and conflict is violence... lather, rinse, repeat.... :) This is the recycling of ignorance that is our current "untransformed consciousness" state. It is not a solution.

Anyway, can i be off-topic in the first post of a thread? :)
Feel free to discuss "more options = better" or Deepak's quote and my response.

Personally, I would be happy with a lot less violence, not absolute peace. Violence exists.
Some people need that experience. Every child tests this out as a matter of conscience, as part
of a process of defining our character. I'm sure there are alien or energetic "societies" where
violence doesn't exist, or very little. The thing is, such entities wouldn't freak out if something
violent occurred, thus it would be short-lived. Here, we react, and draw it out... by making it wrong,
we've created/emphasized the problem. So yeah, change that consciousness - don't try to change violence -
it isn't the problem.

Bel Matina
03-05-2013, 04:11 AM
I very much agree with you regarding Chopra's wording here. Violence the manifestation of discordant potentials, the result of a disordered universe. What we need to do is cultivate harmony in our own experience rather than focus on specific manifestations of discord - to work from the roots to the leaves rather than the other way round. To work from the particulars inward not only requires spreading yourself impossibly thin, it requires swimming against the "outward flow" of manifestation. This is the big problem I have with the second book of the Yoga Sutras, where the later authors have added in all this moralism. It will come more slowly if you make that the point, and it will come even to someone who seeks the root purely for selfish reasons. Don't shed your ego because it will make you take from others, even though it will and that's awful. Shed your ego because it bars you access to the root.