PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with the term "encheirefis?"

Rheomode
03-06-2013, 05:36 PM
I can't seem to find a definition, and it's tricky relying on the context to get the intended meaning. I've tried pulling out the Latin and French parts to get some sense, but I am still at a loss with this one :)

Thanks!

solomon levi
03-06-2013, 06:22 PM
just guessing from the roots... to make by hand?
cheir = hand
fice = make

Illen A. Cluf
03-06-2013, 09:26 PM
I can't seem to find a definition, and it's tricky relying on the context to get the intended meaning. I've tried pulling out the Latin and French parts to get some sense, but I am still at a loss with this one :)

Thanks!

Hello Rheomode,

I think the word you provided is misspelled and should be "encheiresis". The "f" is likely an old English spelling of the letter "s".

"Encheiresis" simply means "Handbook". Solomon was close :-)

Illen

Rheomode
03-06-2013, 10:08 PM
You know, the word is printed this way (with the "f") in a translation of An Exposition on Ripley's Preface in Broddle's Collected Works of Philalethes, and I noticed that in the EEBO transcription the word was spelled as you have corrected it here. F's and s's... I should know better :) Thanks guys for putting it all together for me!

It makes sense now, he had a thing with Books.

Rheomode
03-06-2013, 10:41 PM
And btw my name is Jen. I'm so used to not being able to use my name when I sign up on forums that I just gave up, and I keep meaning to sign it on my posts, but I am going through an absent-minded phase :-)