PDA

View Full Version : Neti Kriya, Kafa Shuddhi - Getting Rid of Mucus

Salazius
03-24-2013, 04:42 PM
This is a very simple method to get rid of mucus (kafa) in the nose. It is a very old Yogic practice.

http://gentlyunfolding.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Neti_Girl3.jpg

You need (raw - i prefer to use raw for my part) sea salt, a pinch in the warm water (not too cold, not too hot), and not too saline, not too less, it needs some salt in order to be osmotic, and to pump out some water of your sinuses membranes, and with the water, mucus.

It cleanses all the sinuses.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/webgen_einsteinwebsites/public/assets/13670/nose_anatomy_front_-_what_are_sinuses.gif

First you put some warm water and sea salt, shake a little the neti pot, or stir it. Wait 10 seconds for dissolution.
Then put your head on one side and let the water flow. You can change the nostril if you want with a second wash. Wait 30 second and slowly let water come down with gravity, then you can blow your nose gently.

Expulse *gently* with air, bloking the other nostril with a finger, or just expulse water with both nostrils.
Do not force it, it can hurt your ears.

If you don't use salt, you'll have a discomfort and burning sensation.

This practice, I do it every day, is extremely useful before any breathing exercise but also in order to keep your sinuses clean, no mucus, no bacterias, dirt, air pollution, ...

Fatima Aureus
03-27-2014, 05:29 PM
I also practice this routine with the Neti. In addition to the sea salt, I add 10 drops of tincture of echinacea and 10 drops of tincture of goldenseal.

Echinacea is a well-known herb for colds, nasal congestion, sinusitis, rhinitis, asthma, and the bronchioles.

"Nevertheless, goldenseal is often said to kill bacteria and is sometimes used to treat eye infections, diarrhea, urinary tract infections, canker sores, and vaginitis. A substance in goldenseal, called berberine, does kill some kinds of bacteria and fungus in test tube studies. But scientists don't know if goldenseal would kill any germs in people.
Goldenseal is also popular because of a rumor that taking the herb can help block a positive test for illegal drugs. There's no evidence that it works, and several studies have reported that taking goldenseal does not change the results of a drug test."

Source: Goldenseal | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/goldenseal#ixzz2xBXTkbb8
University of Maryland Medical Center

Salazius
04-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Hi,

Goodto know, but Hydrastis canadensis or Goldenseal, is also a vasoconstrictor seemingly. So it could prevent some mucus to flow down your nose during or after the process.

Thanks for sharing the info :)

Fatima Aureus
04-05-2014, 05:44 AM
Hi Salazius,

Thanks for bringing this to attention. My thoughts have changed since the last time I posted about Hydrastis and Echinacea. In fact, I have found something even better. There is scientific evidence from MayoClinic that 96% of sinus infections are usually fungal in nature. This is important because antibiotics are usually prescribed for chronic sinusitis, rendering them close to useless since they only treat bacterial infections, not fungal infections.

Now let's take this with the two herbs in question above - although natural, these herbs are also used to treat bacteria and therefore not as effective as something that can treat fungal infections, albeit there may be some fungal interaction with the herbs and the usage of pressure/contact with the membranes and mucous have some usefulness.

I am now starting a regimen with ONE drop of oil of oregano, mixed in with quarter tspn of epsom salt, and then STIRRED with filtered water. Stir it well because oil of oregano is quite strong and if concentrated in one area, then you may really feel the burn once the rawness of the sinuses are exposed after the fungus sloughs off.

This is my third day of using it but so far much more effective than the goldenseal and echinacea.