PDA

View Full Version : Testing the three basic plant menstruums

turtleman
03-29-2013, 05:00 PM
In all of my previous forays into the plant kingdom I used ethanol as my menstruum but i had heard that you could use distilled water and vinegar as well. So I decided to test all 3 of those liquids side by side. I poured 4 fl oz of a menstruum into 3 mason jars and labeled them E for ethanol DW for distilled water and V for vinegar. I then added 1 oz of ginseng to each of those jars and closed them. If an attribute of something is mentioned once in my notes then not again assume it stayed the same.
Day 1 DW the water was lightly yellow colored but had been almost entirely absorbed i added 2 fl oz of menstruum to this and all containers.Day 1 V was a thick yellow color but had been almost entirely absorbed Day 1 E the ethanol was foggy Day 2 Dw the water is a deep golden color far deeper than the other menstruums. Day 2 V slightly thicker yellow color. Day 2 E the ginseng is beginning to look broken down.
I was away for day 3
Day 4 Dw a dull but thick golden color the ginseng is slightly broken down Day 4 V a vibrant gold color the ginseng is semi broken down Day 4 E the ginseng is all gathered on the bottom of the jar the ethanol is foggier closer to the bottom. Day 5 DW small particles are visible in the water Day 5 V some absorption shown. Day 5 E no change Day 6 DW the color is an amber gold and some absorption was shown. Day 6 V
The color is a golden yellow. Day 6 E the ethanol has a golden tinge Day 7 Dw no change Day 7 V the color is an amber gold Day 7 E visible particles in the ethanol Day 8 no jars showed any change Day 9 Dw there was a froth atop the water and gas could be heard escaping the ginseng was more broken down and the waters color paler Day 9 V the same color as DW showed no change fro the rest of the experiment Day 9 E had a slightly deeper color and showed no change for the rest of the experiment Day 10 DW Very thick yellow color Day 11 DW an amber gold color shown Day 12 Day 13 the water was a golden color
Day 14 when i took of the lid there was a 1 cm layer of froth atop the water.

I then removed and weighed the ginseng from each jar however i forgot to allow the ginseng to dry first so my numbers are not exactly accurate but give you a good general idea DW 4 oz V 4.5 oz E 2 oz
After i took out my ginseng i did one last observation of the menstruums
E very light yellow ting V A foggy gold clearer at the bottom of the jar DW A foggy gold.
There was more ethanol left than any other menstrum and there was the least vinegar left. I interpret the ethanol's lack of color to mean it absorbed very little and is therefore the least effective however its low boiling point is convenient the DW had the most coloration and was therefore the most affective and the vinegar was in the middle if anyone has other conclutions they rached from these notes I would love to here them

I just made the mistake of trying 1 ml of the Distilled water undiluted and am allredy feeling the effects ill update you on them later

Kiorionis
03-29-2013, 06:42 PM
hi turtleman :)
curious to know if you've evaporated the liquids away to see what earth remains in each?

turtleman
03-30-2013, 05:03 PM
no however I might do that with some liquid from each, I plan on using the majority of my liquids as materials for a plant stone.What would be shown by such an experiment I have some guesses but you are far more experienced than I

turtleman
03-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Drinking some of my creation undiluted caused me to be hyperactive for about 30 minuets however the energy came in waves

turtleman
04-02-2013, 10:47 PM
ok so the evaporation of 5 ml of each liquid left the vinegar liquid with the most residue a translucent red all across the bottom of my jar then the water with a thick yellow and finally the ethenol with a pale yellow tint around my flasks edge, now the question is what to do with the residue

Kiorionis
04-22-2013, 02:18 AM
ok so the evaporation of 5 ml of each liquid left the vinegar liquid with the most residue a translucent red all across the bottom of my jar then the water with a thick yellow and finally the ethenol with a pale yellow tint around my flasks edge, now the question is what to do with the residue

Excellent! well you mentioned above that your goal was a plant stone. And for spagyric plant stones you'll needs a calcined (white) earth, an oil, and a rectified spirit.
:cool:

but I just noticed that was about two weeks ago. how has this project developed since then?

turtleman
04-22-2013, 10:42 PM
yes im building a good furnace to make my calcined earth in also by rectified spirit do you mean filtered? if so how I think I have done this but if you would enlighten me I would appreciate it

Kiorionis
04-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Right on :)
I mean by rectified spirit the high percentage alcohol you plan on using. Could be an 80 liquor or a higher proof everclear, or a spirit of wine which has been distilled seven times to remove all of the phlegm.

turtleman
04-23-2013, 10:44 PM
oh yes I have all that your advice is much apriciated