PDA

View Full Version : context and perspective

solomon levi
04-11-2013, 06:19 AM
i'll try to make this simple...
1. sex... the concept, the idea, great for survival, etc.
2. sex not for survival
3. sex in the butt
4. sex in the butt with your mom
5. consensual sex
6. rape

i could go on but you should notice a different flavor to sex depending solely on context. this is true of everything....

1. reading a book...
2. reading a book during sex
3. reading a book to a deaf person....

so what's the point? things change their meaning and value relative to their environment, relationship, company, situation...
this is so real for us that we practically never think of something in a vacuum, isolated from all else. As soon as i say 'spoon' you also think of fork, or soup, or plate, or silver...
don't dismiss context. every good writer knows this. also good sincere communicators provide it. for ex, this is Alchemy Forums... hopefully we all share some interest in alchemy. To ignore that and treat is as a dating website for dogs would be contextually inappropriate,
cont...

solomon levi
04-11-2013, 06:20 AM
though there's nothing wrong with wanting to hook up your dog in itself.

Lunsola
04-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Your post about context makes me think of some of the threads/posts cluttering up the forums.

When I first joined I thought we had enough sections for everything. After a while I've been thinking maybe we need a few new ones.

I've never been a fan of deleting or censuring anything. When someone makes a post that doesn't fit it could be moved to one of these. I guess it's a bit too idealistic to keep the forums that pure and too much work for the mods but just for fun I'll list a few.

Examples:
Hilariously ignorant
Comically vengeful
Beyond worthless
Posting under the influence