PDA

View Full Version : London - What's legal and what is not?

zoas23
04-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Hi,

It is likely that I'll be moving to London in the future (due to a relationship with someone). This is a plan for 2014... not right now!

I wanted to know what is legal and what is not legal in London (when it comes to alchemy, of course!).

I know that some supplies are not legal there... i.e, I know you can't buy alcohol there.

Is it LEGAL there to but glassware, lab stuff?
(sorry if the question is silly, but I have no idea... )
(A friend of mine who lives in Colombia had to completely give up alchemy because everything is illegal there... mostly because of the "war on drugs"... they don't want random people buying glassware or anything related to "chemistry").

Krisztian
04-16-2013, 08:18 PM
It is likely that I'll be moving to London in the future (due to a relationship with someone). This is a plan for 2014... not right now!

I might also be living in England part time in some - what seems to be in this moment - distant future.

I know you can't buy alcohol there.

In most countries now, one can't purchase high proof alcohol, it is the case in Canada. One needs to rely on distillation, which may not be a bad omen afterall. Forces oneself to master some of the more fundamental processes in alchemy.

Is it LEGAL there to but glassware, lab stuff?

England, like France, has a long history of alchemy, and I'll bet that you can still find glassware, yes it would be used, that might entice many of us with a love for the creation of the Old Masters (of an alembic let's say).

It's also been my experience that if one is ready, the door has swung open to practice alchemy, then there's no thing that will get in the way. I see it now as a spiritual state rather than a financial, geographical or all other restrictions given by authority of any kind, whether one can or can't practice alchemy.

Study your area (where you move) and befriend those that share similar interests, you may find some benefits. We'll be in the same boat, when I move.

zoas23
04-16-2013, 11:14 PM
I might also be living in England part time in some - what seems to be in this moment - distant future.

Nice! My intention is to do it in more or less 12 months.
My girlfriend lived in London for the last 15 years (she's currently living with me in Argentina)... and some of our plans for the future, they make more sense in London than here.

In most countries now, one can't purchase high proof alcohol, it is the case in Canada. One needs to rely on distillation, which may not be a bad omen after all. Forces oneself to master some of the more fundamental processes in alchemy.

England, like France, has a long history of alchemy, and I'll bet that you can still find glassware, yes it would be used, that might entice many of us with a love for the creation of the Old Masters (of an alembic let's say).

Yes, this is what scares me.
I am used to living in a country where you can buy alcohol and it's normal to do it.
I mean, they sell it at the supermarket and it's not harder to get it than getting, say, a tomato or an orange.

(same thing goes for acetate or nitric acid... or mostly anything you may wanna buy when it comes to chemical products... of course, they don't sell it at the supermarket, but it's possible and easy to buy them if you want to).
So these restrictions scare me a little bit.... and I'm lost about how far these restrictions go.

I was, however, more concerned about what it is possible (or legal) to buy there in London when it comes to glassware (I have no idea if it's legal or not to buy it). You mentioned that it's possible to buy "used" glassware... is it because it is not legal to buy stuff at a store that sells the "new" equipment?

Study your area (where you move) and befriend those that share similar interests, you may find some benefits. We'll be in the same boat, when I move.

This is the other issue that makes me feel a bit worried... I know several people in London who is into Hermeticism... and yet none of them has even seen an "alchemy lab" in England. They don't even know someone who owns/has one.

That's why I am feeling a bit confused... and also because I ignore the laws and I am not sure if this is because of the laws and what is legal and what is not.

I can't say I have investigated a lot about it yet, though (I mean, about what's going on with Alchemy and England nowadays...)

So I thought that asking about the laws and what is possible would be a good start.

EDIT: as I was writing this post, I couldn't stop thinking about Ghetto Alchemist... who may be probably laughing about my concerns! :P
But I am quite far from his style (even if I must say that I do admire his style a LOT and I find it very inspiring).

Krisztian
04-17-2013, 12:20 AM
This is the other issue that makes me feel a bit worried... I know several people in London who is into Hermeticism... and yet none of them has even seen an "alchemy lab" in England. They don't even know someone who owns/has one.

The 'out in the open' approach is not the preference, unless pseudoname is used. If you're faithful to the Art, then you'll be quiet also. Take on students only when it is of necessity. A master will know when, who, why, an initiate is in their area, then they may reveal themselves to you. One must earn the privilege. The history, the true Art of alchemy, is so. The names we know in popculture are all 'beginners'.

Being in the open provides fame, finances, and an identity. Non of those goals are truly desirable.

. . . who may be probably laughing about my concerns!

It's a Forum, best to ask than left wondering. An inquisitive mind reaches farther than one that doesn't, no shame in that.

Axismundi000
04-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Here in the UK you can buy lab glassware and mantle heaters etc mail order by phone and online. You cannot buy stuff like industrial ethanol you will have to distil ethanol but check alcohol licensing laws for UK yourself. I just told the guys at Cole-Parmer that I'm an Alchemist not a chemist and that was fine, I buy my lab gear mainly from the UK branch.

Krisztian
04-18-2013, 09:06 PM
I just told the guys at Cole-Parmer that I'm an Alchemist not a chemist and that was fine, I buy my lab gear mainly from the UK branch.

Excellent.

zoas23
04-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Here in the UK you can buy lab glassware and mantle heaters etc mail order by phone and online. You cannot buy stuff like industrial ethanol you will have to distil ethanol but check alcohol licensing laws for UK yourself. I just told the guys at Cole-Parmer that I'm an Alchemist not a chemist and that was fine, I buy my lab gear mainly from the UK branch.

Thanks! So the situation is not as bad as I thought.

I am probably a bit too nervous about this whole idea of moving there and living in a different culture in another continent... and where the challenges will be very different (and most of them absolutely new for me).

Krisztian
04-20-2013, 12:35 AM
. . . .moving there and living in a different culture in another continent... and where the challenges will be very different (and most of them absolutely new for me).

If you care for inner alchemy (i.e., moving to a completely different "world" with different social rules and conduct, thinking patterns of people, nationalism, intricacies of language and humour) than this experience can be true illumination for self.

I wish you the very best.

Axismundi000
04-20-2013, 12:52 PM
The dictatorship of political correctness with its bloated petit bourgoise paradigm will astound, entertain and annoy for at least a year.

zoas23
04-21-2013, 12:59 AM
The 'out in the open' approach is not the preference, unless pseudoname is used. If you're faithful to the Art, then you'll be quiet also. Take on students only when it is of necessity. A master will know when, who, why, an initiate is in their area, then they may reveal themselves to you. One must earn the privilege. The history, the true Art of alchemy, is so. The names we know in popculture are all 'beginners'.

My #1 aim will be to establish myself there... and get used to the city, the new continent... Improving my English, getting a job...

And I was mostly trying to find out what is possible and what isn't possible in London when it comes to Alchemy... but I was thinking in the "long term" (there will be, probably, no Lab Alchemy during my first year there... I'm just assuming, but that's likely to happen).

I have already arrived to ebay.co.uk (LOL, maybe I should have started there!).... and I realized that the glasssware is incredibly expensive compared with what I pay here (i.e, 10 times more expensive, I don't get why it is so expensive there or so cheap here)... and the electric equipment is slightly more expensive too (1.5 times more expensive).
The "other stuff" seems to have more or less the same cost (I mean the food, clothes, etc).

I know that "When the student is ready, the Master appears."
And I assume that I won't be "ready" for any master for some time after I move.
(my first step will be to travel with some 30 Kilos of my stuff... so my priority will be clothes and things which are mostly 100% necessary to survive).

Being in the open provides fame, finances, and an identity. Non of those goals are truly desirable.

Yes, I know, I know... !
Actually... I don't trust anyone who is "in the open".
Nor I trust anyone who acts like a store that is trying to sell some sort of strange product known as "God"... specially when that "product" is sold for a lot of money.

If you care for inner alchemy (i.e., moving to a completely different "world" with different social rules and conduct, thinking patterns of people, nationalism, intricacies of language and humour) than this experience can be true illumination for self.

I wish you the very best.

Thank you... !!! :)
And, yes, I care about inner alchemy.

Krisztian
04-21-2013, 06:19 AM
My #1 aim will be to establish myself there... and get used to the city, the new continent... Improving my English, getting a job...

That'll be quite the change; I have now close to seven years ago made such move. The only difference was that I already spoke English well, also established in my professional career.

I would be genuinely interested to know, if you have the time to say, if you notice any difference of the energy of that continent? It's much northern from where you currently are, gridlines may feel perceptively different.

I realized that the glasssware is incredibly expensive compared with what I pay here (i.e, 10 times more expensive, I don't get why it is so expensive there or so cheap here)... and the electric equipment is slightly more expensive too (1.5 times more expensive).

Well, England is known for being expensive. I suggest, as I have to another on this Forum, to look for a glassblower who can make you glassware specific to your needs. That way you also support smaller operations.

I know that "When the student is ready, the Master appears."

Hopefully the culture doesn't discourage you - feel isolated. I'm not sure whether I said so, but my girlfriend is also British.

Most people live in the same "matrix" throughout their incarnation and rarely pushed to change, and outgrow their own image and persona. To move from a completely different culture is quite the undertaking.

Goldlion973
06-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Al'right geezer... we'll meet ya down the pub for a larga, go to the chippie after.

Welcome to London, in advance.

Its all kinds of expensive here, in particular for those from other countries as the is mysteriously very strong on the global market. The old empire lives on now in various forms. If you're onto Ebay I can recommend a few UK **cough, (chinese) cough** suppliers who are taking advantage of the extortionate cost of living in the UK, are a few places here and there you'll likely want to visit. Having been born in the center of the city I'm now finely tuned to its pulsations and can detect even the slightest chink of pyrex or borosilicate within an approximate 15 mile radius (London is very small).

**Places ear to damp concrete pavement**

There is much going on... there is quite a history to those goings on also.

Welcome to London... geezer.

Peace
Lion