PDA

View Full Version : Cultural Barriers

Ilos
05-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Hey all,
Lately I been asking myself how is individual consciousness affected by social culture of a country or a city or a village etc. For example in some countries you can find more alchemists than in other countries, In my country people rarely know about alchemy and its hard to find any records about alchemy. of course as a scientist you gotta be more independent and see things in a wider point of view but still its that social culture that affects the people and has a big part on its own roll. If a Greek philosopher wrights quotes about people in general it will differ from the philosophers from China. Evan tho the quotes will be individualized they will still be treated with cultural barriers. How much does our inner consciousness influence with our shaped national culture. How much do we understand other cultures and is it worth it living another culture and studying the philosophy of another culture. Is it possible to learn other cultures philosophy (in general) without knowing its culture at first.

Krisztian
05-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Lately I been asking myself how is individual consciousness affected by social culture of a country or a city or a village etc.

It's influence is much, much more than people who have lived in the same culture throughout their lives realize! I lived in three different cultures and each had/has it's themes, the way social consciousness tends to be. My profession also exposes me to this reality.

I see a difference even between city and country consciousness, if one can say that.

Is it possible to learn other cultures philosophy (in general) without knowing its culture at first.

What you write here is the primary hypothesis of Adam McLean. He interprets alchemical imagery, plates, so forth based on the culture that it was produced in, as well as in its entire sequencing (instead of picking out elements to justify, and fit, perhaps our theories).

Having said all that, I'm sure there're universal truths.

. . . . is it worth it living another culture and studying the philosophy of another culture.

I believe so. But for many, in actual reality, 'to live it' would be a frightening thing.

Ilos
05-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Thanks for getting my point Krisztian

What you write here is the primary hypothesis of Adam McLean. He interprets alchemical imagery, plates, so forth based on the culture that it was produced in, as well as in its entire sequencing (instead of picking out elements to justify, and fit, perhaps our theories).

Having said all that, I'm sure there're universal truths.
Iv noticed on the imagery to, that try to explain certain things based on they're culture or believes (instead of being more universal)
So if Alchemy is an universal philosophy than that means that we have to break the cultural barriers.
Im not trying to criticize, just that this has been going through my mind lately, wile noticing the difference of the authors about alchemy.
It basically means that if you want to learn more, you have to know more about the culture depending on the author
also knowing the place weather conditions and all that depending on authors experimental researches.

Krisztian
05-08-2013, 06:48 PM
This is a great discussion Ilos.

It basically means that if you want to learn more, you have to know more about the culture depending on the author also knowing the place weather conditions and all that depending on authors experimental researches.

I'm currently rereading, In Pursuit of Gold. The author keeps bringing up, in a well articulated manner I should add, that each alchemist (without exaggerating) used different definitions for symbols, added different meanings to items, etc., which led to much confusion in modern times. I mean, how many definitions does the word 'mercury' have?

I think we also should be humble, to acknowledge, that the influence of our culture (the one we were raised in) has much more influence on our consciousness and the way we approach life than just merely empty memories.

Ilos
05-08-2013, 07:40 PM
how many definitions does the word 'mercury
Exactly and how do you interpret it, how do you understand the word and with what have you defined it
than from what has the idea came for defining something like mercury.

I think we also should be humble, to acknowledge, that the influence of our culture (the one we were raised in) has much more influence on our consciousness and the way we approach life than just merely empty memories.
That's what I mean about knowing the culture and other, of the author your trying to read and study
maybe not just know it, but live it to in order to understand it well.
Think of it as trying to learn Kabbalah in English, how will the Hebrew words sound to you
I bet that they would sound differently after you would live in Jerusalem after a few years :)

thrival
05-09-2013, 03:13 AM
I think with the last major cataclysm, a large body of knowledge was lost. "Cultural barriers" are mostly just prejudices & preferences acquired by various pockets of people, piecing civilization back together in their own way. Some people on this board don't like to talk about "universal truths" because that would infer rules, which (apologetically) exist, and define the parameters and terms of life, (which is alchemy), here, and hereafter. Anyway I've always ignored the cultural barriers and just gone for the knowledge. Humans do tend to complicate matters, over time. Salt: (Usually) an oxide; Sulfur: An acid with an oily (hydrocarbon) component; Mercury: a volatile, etheric component, gas(es). The real barrier that needs to be broken is the one that allows individuals to openly & shamelessly converse (and receive answers) from the spirit world. That's not looked too favorably upon by the majority, who feel threatened by people with expanded capacities, due to the advantage it provides. (Proof is in the puddin'.) There's also a modern smugness on the part of people today, to how people lived and coped in days gone by, the presumption of ignorance, I call it the greatest-thing-since-sliced-bread ...syndrome, which we have, and makes us (only technically) 'superior' to those who (sadly) had to slice their own. The truth is out there, and one of them (if ye have ears to hear) is that humans ran away from God, a long time ago, and only by ruthless honesty & earnestly SEEKING does anyone find their way back. The rest is just "stuff."