PDA

View Full Version : Animal salts.

Pleroma
05-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Hello,
When distilling urine, there is left some black salts.
but there is too little salts to work with. Can i substitute or add animal bones as the fixed salt?
anyone know?
I've read in golden chain that you can add some table salt to the small amount of animal salt and fix it in the furnace which will specify the table salt to animal. But maybe using animal bones is faster?

thoth
05-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Hello,
When distilling urine, there is left some black salts.
but there is too little salts to work with. Can i substitute or add animal bones as the fixed salt?
anyone know?
I've read in golden chain that you can add some table salt to the small amount of animal salt and fix it in the furnace which will specify the table salt to animal. But maybe using animal bones is faster?

All you need to do is collect a much bigger volume, maybe start with 5 litres. Its much easier if you have distillation equipment for larger volumes and also air cooled distillation equipment rather than water cooled, makes it easier.

And the great thing is the raw material is all free

Pleroma
05-13-2013, 09:35 PM
All you need to do is collect a much bigger volume, maybe start with 5 litres. Its much easier if you have distillation equipment for larger volumes and also air cooled distillation equipment rather than water cooled, makes it easier.

And the great thing is the raw material is all free

Hi. What is an air cooled distiller? I checked online but not sure what you mean exactly.

thoth
05-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Hi Pleroma, I was just posting on your other thread in equipment but something like below. You need to match the joint sizes of boiling flask and alembic such as 45/40, the wider the joints the better.

And very impotant - sure you already know, but dont attach the recieving flask at other end until one or two drops of distillate come over i.e the pressure has built up in boiling flask, otherwise if the whole closed array was connected before boiling flask heated up , alembic could explode

http://www.neubert-glas.de/laborglas/onlineshop/katalog_php/1_995727484085_1295695453648/1295695860316/Alembik-alchemistischer-Helm.html

Pleroma
05-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Hi,
Thanks for this.
Which size is best?
Do you use these yourself?

Pleroma
05-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Do these work for capturing the volatile salts too?

thoth
05-13-2013, 11:21 PM
I used 1 litre boiling flask and 2 litre alembic, but if I was buying again I would get a 2 litre or 3 litre flask, and 3 litre alembic. Yes you can get what you are looking for with this. Its best to just think of the first few attempts as an experiment, use different temp ranges and you will see what works for you, and it seems obvious but you really need to ...............be patient

I have a stone workshop no wood or flamables so once boiling flask is filled, I can let this go all by itself for a day or two. I have electrical trip switch between wall socket and heating unit just in case of spills etc, but I would not recemmend unattended use like this to anyone especially if in a normal house and especially when getting used to equipment. Without running water I think its much safer than a modern water cooled distillation train. I dont use gas either.

Pleroma
05-14-2013, 12:21 AM
I use Corning hot plate.
Where do I find a boiling flask that is 45/40?
Can't find one online other than a 10000 mliter flask.
How much liquid do you collect in an hour with this setup?

thoth
05-14-2013, 07:27 PM
The 45/40 refers to the width of the neck of the joints so you want to make sure you pick on a particular width and have all your glassware the same.
So in neubert you could get a flask of :

0753-20-030 1000 ml NS 45/40 29.10

should match an alembic also with same neck /joint width of 45/40

1013-25-2045 2000ml NS45/40 110.67

but do double check before you order. I did a search for this in China and ebay but dont see any alembics.

You could use heating mantle but as the boiling flask gets bigger the mantles get a lot more expensive.
Some people use water baths or sand baths. You could be lucky and get one in China.

If you find any good deals lets us know.
Good luck

Pleroma
05-14-2013, 09:14 PM
hello,
i think i will just use a sand bath, i already have an expensive hot plate.
i cant read german, but im looking at the site for the boiling flask. how do i know which is flat bottom? or doesnt matter if i get a round since i will use a sand bath?
i placed the order already for the 3000ml alembic but i dont know how to send them the payment. i tried translating as much as possible.
sent a letter to the company but no response yet.
i also checked online for other places to order but couldnt find any.

thoth
05-14-2013, 10:11 PM
I dont speak german either but google translate works well or rather Chrome
You need to add them in your online banking as a recipient. Yes they dont make it easy

I do prefer round flasks as there are no corners for gunk to build up, also I think stresses on the glass are less as forces are evenly distributed

Pleroma
05-15-2013, 02:43 AM
Ok thanks alot Thoth. I will see how it works out. :)

Pleroma
05-15-2013, 04:22 PM
i sent you a PM thoth.