PDA

View Full Version : Making an Ens

FraterP.I.
05-24-2013, 02:36 AM
I am currently working on preparing my first Ens preparation. I'm using Bay Laural as my base. I digested the leaves in potassium carbonate for 48 hours +/-. After adding the alcohol (190 proof) the first separation went quite well and I siphoned it off and stored it in its own container (canning jars are a wonderful invention). The second extraction is where my questions arise. During the first mixing and separation, the alcohol and potassium carbonate have separated cleanly but there is a thick layer of phlegm developed between them along with some adhering to the walls of the jar in the alcohol layer. I can also see some translucent phlegm floating lightly in the alcohol. My question is, is this something that I need to be concerned with or is this "normal"? The phlegm layer is a brownish "fluffy" substance. I haven't stuck my finger in to test its consistancy since I'd rather not have the tip of my finger dissolved by the corrosive materiel attached to it. The second separation is also a lot slower to form than the first. I will happily post pictures once I can get my computer and cell phone to speak the same language (Ie. drivers are being problematic). Mostly, I don't want to prepare, distill, and ingest something that might land me in the ER or even a pine box a week down the road. Any advice would be appreciated. I am new to this Art (specifically practical Alchemy) and am at the mercy of my intuition and aid from wonderful, knowledgeable, and experienced people such as yourselves.

In darkness and light,
Frater P.I.

Krisztian
05-24-2013, 01:59 PM
I am currently working on preparing my first Ens preparation. I'm using Bay Laural as my base. I digested the leaves in potassium carbonate for 48 hours +/-.

Which preparation, I mean who's, are you following, if I may ask?

Bay laural, that's an interesting choice. Did you feel a connection to that herb? Or, was it something that was commonly available?

I will happily post pictures once I can get my computer and cell phone to speak the same language (Ie. drivers are being problematic).

Yes, good idea.

Mostly, I don't want to prepare, distill, and ingest something that might land me in the ER or even a pine box a week down the road.

Understood. I can quite likely speak for others when I say, that's the case for all of us.

I will say this however, once you make a good Ens, ingest it for a while, eventually you'll be strongly in contact with, "communicate", intuit with herbs directly. Then you'll know immediately whether its medicine or poision. It's one reason why Ens is particularly revered by initiates.

FraterP.I.
05-25-2013, 01:06 AM
Which preparation, I mean who's, are you following, if I may ask?

Bay laural, that's an interesting choice. Did you feel a connection to that herb? Or, was it something that was commonly available?

Yes, good idea.

Understood. I can quite likely speak for others when I say, that's the case for all of us.

I will say this however, once you make a good Ens, ingest it for a while, eventually you'll be strongly in contact with, "communicate", intuit with herbs directly. Then you'll know immediately whether its medicine or poision. It's one reason why Ens is particularly revered by initiates.

@Krisztian: Thank you for your reply and please forgive me but I do not recall specifically where I acquired this particular formula. I'm afraid that my digital wanderings have left many of my sources lost. The process is to deliquese potassium carbonate until it is completely liquified. Dissolve the chosen matter in the solution for 24 to 48 hours. After which time remove the caput mortum and discard. Add alcohol (190 proof preferably) to the tainted solution remaining and digest for 24 hours. Siphon off the alcohol and replace with fresh until there is no color left in the potassium carbonate (the term oil of tartar seems used for both potassium carbonate and sodium carbonate and is, therefore, ambiguous to me). Combine, filter, and distill the collected alcohol until it is reduced to an oily substance which will distill no farther under gentle distillation (I presume to mean 78 degrees C which is the boiling point of alcohol). What remains is considered the Ens of a given matter.

For the photo I will only say that Windows Vista is the son of the Devil incarnate. Windows ME was the Devil. I beat the Devil, now I'm going to beat its son.

I would not yet consider myself an initiate. I have prepared a few spagyrics but preparing a proper Ens is my first initiatory step. In my opinion, anyway. I have also prepared and used Ormus but that seems to be very readily prepared and I see it more as a reflection of my inner development than a goal to be achieved. Of course, in that sense all alchemical products can be said to be the same since they must first be prepared in the heart and mind before they can be manifest physically. Which is why the Ens is important to me. It represents my first "success" in alchemy.

I chose Bay laural because of its association with solar influences, the fact that it was readily available, and its physical healing properties. I am starting a garden with Melissa and other herbs but it's going to be a while before I am able to harvest any of those. I dislike stagnation as I get bored easily (it's a Scorpio trait I suppose) and want to keep momentum. At least in the beginning.

In darkness and light

FraterP.I.
05-25-2013, 03:12 PM
An update. I have been scouring the internet for photos and/or directions on producing an Ens. Not surprisingly, the only accounts I can find are in regard to the Primum Ens Melissa. However, according to all these accounts and photos, the brownish buildup between the alcohol and the K2CO3 is normal. So long as the alcohol comes out green and not any other color I should be ok. I will still post photos for critique and analysis.

In darkness and light.

FraterP.I.
05-25-2013, 04:23 PM
These are two pics of what I am dealing with. Looks yummy, huh? :D

Krisztian
05-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Any advice would be appreciated.

You asked.

Dissolve the chosen matter in the solution for 24 to 48 hours. After which time remove the caput mortum and discard. Add alcohol (190 proof preferably) to the tainted solution remaining and digest for 24 hours.

Why hurry? I've found that the life-force captured seems to be more powerful in larger cycles than not. Full cycle of moon, waiting for it to evolve, doesn't hurt. Llewellyn's Moon Sign is good resource.

I know other methods exist, Paracelsus subscribes to shorter method; Dubuis as well by the help of absolute alcohol, 200 Proof.

Siphon off the alcohol . . .

Be careful. I've used glass pipettes, kept only for Ens.

I chose Bay laural because of its association with solar influences, . . .

Excellent!

Thanks for posting the photos, beautiful.

FraterP.I.
05-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Thank you again Krisztian. I discovered the substance in question to be simple yeast buildup. Such a difficult search for such a simple answer. Sadly, the Ens had to be abandoned. I managed to siphon off a decent amount which I am now distilling but the rest (including K2CO3) turned a putrid yellow and the smell changed to something rather unpleasant. I'm not sure what the cause is but I thought it best to discard it as a failed project and try again. This time, I'm using honey as my materia.

I will continue reading and learning and, maybe, such errors can be avoided in the future.

In darkness and light.

Krisztian
05-26-2013, 07:33 PM
I will continue reading and learning and, maybe, such errors can be avoided in the future.

Much of this work is about preparation, and of course over the years about perseverance.

. . . . I do not recall specifically where I acquired this particular formula. I'm afraid that my digital wanderings have left many of my sources lost.

Less mistakes are avoided when one follows a formula committed to paper. But yes, mistakes are sure part of the process and refinement.

Wishing you the very best, thanks for posting!

Axismundi000
05-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Thank you for posting this. You allow me to learn from your error's instead of making the same ones myself!

FraterP.I.
05-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Thank you for posting this. You allow me to learn from your error's instead of making the same ones myself!

I am a budding alchemist at best but I have learned that explosions, fires, burns, headaches, and mistakes are inevitable. What I believe ruined my Ens is when I attempted to filter out the yeast buildup. I must have blended it with the alcohol and tartar in the process. I'm not yet sure how to remove it without corrupting the Ens (if that is indeed what caused the failure but it was a pure green until I attempted to filter) so I'll just let it be next time. Please share some of yours so we can learn from each others. No shame in making mistakes. "Good judgement comes for experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement" (source unknown but nice quote).

In darkness and light.

Axismundi000
05-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Once I have sorted out how to do pictures properly here I will do my best to respond in kind to your generosity.

Axismundi000
06-02-2013, 03:55 PM
With respect to making ens mellissa I have been reading about how a sieve or even a coffee caffitiere can be used to keep plant matter separate from oils that rise up. I intend to try this approach this year.

FraterP.I.
06-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Depending on your preparation, if you are using caustic salts (Ie. Salt of Tartar, Lye) to digest your herbs I would be wary about using anything metallic as caustic salts have an annoying (in this case at least) tendency eat at them. This could introduce unwanted metallic elements to your Ens. I found it effective to use a double layer of cheese cloth spread over a plastic strainer over a large plastic/glass bowl. For some of the purists, I know plastic is not supposed to be used but hey, I'm buying most of this stuff at Walmart. Bear with me here.

FraterP.I.
06-05-2013, 01:18 PM
By way of update, I now have two Ens prepared and more Oil of Tartar in progress. I was a bit too generous with my last batch which resulted in me preparing more.

Of the two Ens I prepared, the Ens of Bay was quite wonderful (what didn't get corrupted) and has provided me with a wonderful anchor for early meditations and a strong health formula. The Ens of Honey is yet an interesting story. The honey is, seemingly, irrevocably bonded with the Oil of Tartar the only solution being strong calcination. But, hey, I have an almost endless source of Honey Ens so, why bother? One batch I reduced and bottled to be used as it is. With one more batch I cohobated it twice (more when my new organic glassware arrives as the set I have now is for inorganic chemistry and requires too high of a heat for what I want to do). With this second batch, I decided to add some ground cinnamon to it and let it digest for a "while" (yet undefined). This mixture always felt, and tasted, perfect when I was younger, let's see what we come up with.

Well, that's it for my early experiments of note. I'm waiting on my Oil and White Willow bark so I can prepare my Lunar Ens.

In darkness and light.

Axismundi000
06-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the tip about the metal mesh of the caffetiere, I am waiting on a piece of lab glass to replace a broken bit and a few more weeks of lemon balm growth then I shall do my first test run.

FraterP.I.
06-06-2013, 03:40 AM
I also have lemon balm planted in my garden. Although, I have a little more than a few weeks until I'm ready to harvest as my plants are just starting to sprout. How long has your Melissa been growing? Please let us know how your Ens turns out.

In darkness and light.

Axismundi000
06-06-2013, 08:19 AM
We are growing the plants indoors planted in peat, we bought fairly large plants from a garden centre. Total outlay for all stuff to grow + plants was about £40. I am rectifying ethanol from brandy with a retort at present, I have purchased a kilo of anhydrous potassium carbonate.

At present I have a distillation train for Alchemy and Magick which has a graham condenser and this is separate work.

I am waiting for replacement parts for a larger distillation train with a leibig condenser for the spagyrics. Then I will do my ens Melissa test run and put up some photo's.

Whilst I am an accomplished Magician I am a novice Alchemist.

elixirmixer
01-20-2017, 01:58 AM
I have 4 small lemon balm that I bought and grew from Bunnings (aussie's main hardware outlet)

I was going to perform the Prima Ens Melissa, but then I thought... heaps of people have done this and not gotten the results that are spoken about in works such as Paracelsus describes; so I basically thought, lets try something different!

I have never made a spagyric medicine (plant realm) from acetic acid before. Some say that acetic acid is 'the philosophical wine'.

Perhaps in this experiment, I am going to try something completely different.

Acetic acid calcination and dissolution. Filtered seperation. Then a conjunction of salts, followed by some fermentation. A distillation or two in there perhaps, and then a slow imbubing.

I am hoping, really really hoping, that I can just accidently and miraculously get some volatized salts happening in this experiment (dispite that I havent read anywhere of anyone trying it like this.)

Wish me luck brethren. All comments, opinions, smart-assed-ness, and advice are welcome :)

Awani
01-20-2017, 05:38 PM
Merged your post with this thread where you might find some information.

Also see this thread: Primum Ens Melissae (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?810-Primum-Ens-Melissae)

:cool:

elixirmixer
01-21-2017, 07:00 AM
Acetic acid is doing a wonderful job. I have a deep golden liquor at the moment. Just letting it come up to a nice cozy 37 degrees for a little while and then I will separate. You may have noticed that I am not fermenting at this stage. Going on to calcination shortly.

elixirmixer
01-21-2017, 11:59 AM
acetic acid seems to kill the nerves in the skin. Also really drys it out...

Ive got a good feeling about this Fixed spirit of LemonBalm. I seem to have a lot of acid though...

Does anyone know if i can evaporate off the acid?

archerner
01-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Good on you for going after the Primum Ens, it's my dream to complete too. I'm not quite grasping your process, but hey that's what experiments are. I'm currently working with acetic acid making some ionic magnesium. It definitely crystallizes maybe just distill the liquid from the salts?

Axismundi000
01-21-2017, 07:43 PM
I did the published, standard Primum Mellisa ends procedure and posted my method with pictures a few years ago, thought I put it on this forum, I can post the pics and brief explanation if it is considered useful.

I would add that I don't think it is a true ens and I don't think a person should take it.

elixirmixer
01-21-2017, 08:35 PM
Your a very cautious practitioner Axis, nothing wrong with that.

I am basically preparing a standard Spagyrics but using acetic acid as the solvent. I would love to know how to make ionised magnesium!!!

The reason that I am working it this way, is because I view the Paracelsus work as basically a scam, tricking people into thinking that's how to get a powerful medicine from plants but I do not view it as such.

I'm actually really just hoping, that a long digestion of the salts in their oils and in acetic acid, will circulate and cause te volatized salts to come forth. I've never made any before and this is really te aim in this experiment is to see whether or not salts will volatized in a mixture of essense and acid :)

Axismundi000
01-21-2017, 09:24 PM
I think the whole potassium carbonate thing is a false path and does not give anything worthwhile, it was an interesting challenge for me at the time to produce it.

I didn't get a lot but I knew I didn't want to take any.

http://i64.tinypic.com/vcza6c.jpg

I used a cafetière to get the oils to rise up from the lemon balm - pot carb broth, then presently fully depress plunger and pour off liquid for next step. Just like serving coffee.

http://i64.tinypic.com/10rn8lv.jpg

elixirmixer
01-21-2017, 09:29 PM
It seems that the more I practice this noble art, the more lies and empty promises im subjected too. Even Paracelsus was a dick.

Axismundi000
01-21-2017, 09:41 PM
I think Paracelsus oversimplifies and misses out parts of a procedure. Also some things maybe he didn't try himself.

Schmuldvich
01-21-2017, 09:42 PM
I think the whole potassium carbonate thing is a false path and does not give anything worthwhile, it was an interesting challenge for me at the time to produce it.

The reason that I amaling it this way, is because I view the paracelsus work as basically a scam, tricking people into thinking that's how to get a powerful medicine from plants but I do not view it as such.

YES!!! When speaking about such sensitive subjects Adepts choose to veil their speech! So many people are in denial about this, or simply do not want to accept this fact, but clearly those in-the-Know did not ever intend for their words to be taken literally.

It baffles me, absolutely astounds me, that so so so many people (including here!) take their words literally

Andro
01-21-2017, 09:50 PM
I think the whole potassium carbonate thing is a false path and does not give anything worthwhile.

I personally wouldn't hurry to jump to such conclusions.

ALL salts behave according to the One Universal Template (Central Salt), to various extents.

They will all display (relatively) similar patterns of behavior when treated with the proper menstruum.

Those salts, however, will need to be alchemically 'opened', 'elevated', 'spiritualized'. Acetic acid (for example) can be a good 'Opener' - but it is not the greatest 'Elevator'.

There are however ways to obtain already 'elevated' or 'spiritually magnetic' salts, but this requires very different processes and protocols, beyond common Spagyria.

It's great that you're posting pictures of your work!

Axismundi000
01-21-2017, 10:14 PM
You make some interesting comments Andro. However the commonly described Primum Mellisa ens procedure is completely lacking in these methods of obtaining elevated salts. Therefore your comments whilst interesting in themselves lack context.

Andro
01-21-2017, 10:21 PM
You make some interesting comments Andro. However the commonly described Primum Mellisa ens procedure is completely lacking in these methods of obtaining elevated salts. Therefore your comments whilst interesting in themselves lack context.

The commonly described 'Primum Ens Melissa' is not at all a 'Primum Ens' ('First Being'). It can be an interesting tincturing alternative, but an 'Ens' it ain't.

The potash (in the commonly known & popularized 'recipe') is not 'elevated', etc, like I said in my previous post on this thread. It is completely unsuitable for a genuine 'Primum Ens'.

This is the context.

Axismundi000
01-21-2017, 11:31 PM
This is my understanding also. The so called Primum Mellisa ens is an extraction method and does not relate to first entity. As I have mentioned, when I made it I didn't feel it was anything more than a practical exercise to hone my skills st the beginning of my lab work. In fact I was still gradually collecting equipment and glassware at the time I was doing this. I thought most people were aware the popularised Primum ens Mellissa method does not really give a useful product?

elixirmixer
01-22-2017, 01:31 AM
My pyrex dish shattered and I lost pretty much all of my salts... I am deeply upset right now. I grew those plants over three months...

I...

I...

[NOTE TO MODS, THERE IS NO CRYING FACE EMOTIOCON!]

I'm just SHATTERED!

Andro, can I replace these salts with some standard Potash?

(I realise now where the term 'shattered' gets it's meaning)

Editional Note ~ I think this has had a permanent effect on me more than completing the elixir ever could. I am so angry right now, at myself, at the glass manufacturers, at God. Even though I know its really no ones fault at all, im still just so so pissed.

I need to vent here: HENGFJIQPHJ VF_*EW(PH GJ#_&GNH M_*(HJGN(MUEI GJNF(Q*GJHN_QUIJ)IHGQ#E(*PHNPTJUOEIOHJNF!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never in my life, gone to the full extent of growing the actual plant I wanted to use from scratch, only to have all my hard work completely destroyed by un-forseen glass defects.

I hate you Pyrex!

This is going to take me a while to recover from. But once again, some seriously valuable lessons learn, such as, acetic acid will dissolve the top layer of your skin off :)

elixirmixer
01-22-2017, 01:55 AM
I am going to salvage what I can of the salts, then add some additional Potassium Carbonate because it was the salts I was really interested in in the first place, and then go cry myself to sleep. Heavily. :cool:

Schmuldvich
01-22-2017, 03:57 AM
http://i.imgur.com/sZzHPTv.png

Axismundi000
01-22-2017, 06:53 AM
I didn't know this about modern Pyrex. There are two good kitchen glassware that I know of. Visions glass saucepans and casseroles and another called pyroflam which the blurb says can go to 1000 centigrade. There may be others, they are all more expensive.

elixirmixer
01-22-2017, 08:51 AM
This is really useful information, thank you Schmuldvich.

Oh, I salvaged what I could, and through repeated calcining I achieved a result I'm happy with. I have a pretty big batch, about 400ml. It looks like the best glass of Stout you've ever seen, but that's due to the quantity. In reality it is a light green yellow colour, but darkens quickly with volume. So, even though it looks black, it taste amazing, like some awesome salad dressing, really really nice.

I am now fermenting the entire thing, which I'm also excited about because it looks like stout, and what better thing to be fermenting :D

Really hoping to see some volatizzzzed salts this time round, altho, might not get many because of the spill.

How do you guys ferment? I have a fish tank heater inside of an esky :) (filled with water, with my bottle of goodies floating inside :D

Kiorionis
01-22-2017, 03:54 PM
How do you guys ferment? I have a fish tank heater inside of an esky :) (filled with water, with my bottle of goodies floating inside :D

Glass gallon jugs from cheap gallon wine ;)

thoth
01-23-2017, 09:43 PM
How do you guys ferment?

Visit your homebrew shop where they will lots of use items. When brewing beer I used a brewbelt like like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Brew-Wine-Making-Electric/dp/B001PQU73S
It keeps the temp arount 20C

Aham
01-23-2017, 11:24 PM
Axis, would love to see the pics and explanation.

I did the published, standard Primum Mellisa ends procedure and posted my method with pictures a few years ago, thought I put it on this forum, I can post the pics and brief explanation if it is considered useful.

I would add that I don't think it is a true ens and I don't think a person should take it.

elixirmixer
01-23-2017, 11:36 PM
When I asked, "how do you ferment", what I meant to say is, what do you use to keep your subject at 37.5 degrees C?

Axismundi000
01-24-2017, 12:02 AM
Axis, would love to see the pics and explanation.

Liquidised lemon balm leaves (food blender) and saturated potassium carbonate solution. Letting pot carb soak up night time dew is the recommended method. Pour into cafetière as shown previous. Depress plunger part way do that oil can rise up to top.

http://i64.tinypic.com/10rn8lv.jpg

Wrap them in bags to keep airtight then incubate

http://i68.tinypic.com/2qx7w2r.jpg

Pour high concentration alcohol onto decanted plant liquid

http://i68.tinypic.com/15cysxx.jpg

Decant tinctured alcohol put fresh alcohol on to plant liquid to get more oil. Freeze green coloured alcohol for say a week, pour through small tea strainer to collect any frozen lumps. Gently evaporate the liquid down to oil. Collect green oil avoid any discoloured bits.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2lmnhc5.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/vcza6c.jpg

Like I said before this was just an exercise whilst I got together lab equipment. I would warn strongly against ingesting this stuff, I personally didn't like the smell which was difficult to describe apart from strange. It is not even Spagyric let alone Alchemical but a lot of people have tried this and experienced disappointment I have seen such on-line. Once you make it you will realise it is not right.

Schmuldvich
01-24-2017, 05:51 AM
Thank you for sharing! Awesome pictures!

Axismundi000
01-24-2017, 11:21 AM
I forgot to mention, put the plant mixture + alcohol layer on top in one of those vacuum seal storage bags you use a household vacuum cleaner to close. Plastic food stores are not always airtight and atmospheric moisture will spoil it. I personally think that Bartlett's outline in Real Alchemy is the best. If I were ever to do this again I would use natural sea salt instead of potassium carbonate.

Aham
01-24-2017, 06:42 PM
Axis, thank you for the explanation and the pics. :)