PDA

View Full Version : castaneda (and me) on petty tyrants

solomon levi
07-04-2013, 05:25 AM
The world as it is, the rule of governments, monsanto, illuminati, whatever we are supposed to be fighting against... you have to understand the warriors' way to make this work. The warriors' way is not a victim's way. The warrior searches for a petty tyrant with unlimited power, the way an alchemist loves the stone the builders rejected. Tyrants and enslavers are not to be done away with... they are the force of evolution, the challenge and friction which provide the fire of awakening, of rebirth into self. Here is a short outline of what CC had to say:

"Nothing can temper the spirit of a warrior as much as the challenge of dealing with impossible people in positions of power. Only under those conditions can warriors acquire the sobriety and serenity to stand the pressure of the unknowable."

[you think tyrants are difficult? the pressure of the unknowable is much more difficult! perhaps this is why tyrants don't concern me... the battle for my life is not between governments/bad food/evil scientists-military, etc... it is between this completely natural force that will pull you apart at death if you have not learned to manipulate a microcosmic cohesive force.]

"The perfect ingredient for the making of a superb seer is a petty tyrant with unlimited prerogatives. Seers have to go to extremes to find a worthy one. Most of the time they have to be satisfied with very small fry. Then warriors develop a strategy using the four attributes of warriorship: control, discipline, forbearance, and timing."

[It is a blessing to find a really good petty tyrant with power of life and death over you. At least for a warrior... most people will complain about their neighbors not mowing the lawn or some super-extreme petty crap. Most people are far from living like warriors. And only warriors can change. Yes, a million sheep can get attention and appear to make a difference, but you know this won't last. Egypt is not free... America is not free... they're just going to be sold a more tolerable compromise which will be undermined just like America's constitution. That isn't change. Those million sheep are still saying "give us this..." They are not saying "we'll do it for ourselves." So they will always be dependant, always have a price.]

"On the path of knowledge there are four steps. The first step is the decision to become apprentices. After the apprentices change their views about themselves and the world they take the second step and become warriors, which is to say, beings capable of the utmost discipline and control over themselves. The third step, after acquiring forbearance and timing, is to become men of knowledge. When men of knowledge learn to see they have taken the fourth step and have become seers.
Control and discipline refer to an inner state. A warrior is self-oriented, not in a selfish way but in the sense of a total examination of the self.

[Governments are not our problem. No one is stopping you from examining yourself but you. Sure, they offer plenty of distractions. It's up to you not to be swayed by them. It's not impossible, or even difficult, if you want it. But who wants it? I don't mean mental want, like most people talk about want. I mean action want... your actions show me what you want. Your reality shows me what you want. I know a tree by its fruit. You say you want freedom? Do you have freedom? If not, you want something else more. Your reality is the perfect reflection of your true wants. Examine yourself and you will see.]

Forbearance and timing are not quite an inner state. They are in the domain of the man of knowledge.
The idea of using a petty tyrant is not only for perfecting the warrior's spirit, but also for enjoyment and happiness. Even the worst tyrants can bring delight, provided, of course, that one is a warrior.
The mistake average men make in confronting petty tyrants is not to have a strategy to fall back on; the fatal flaw is that average men take themselves too seriously; their actions and feelings, as well as those of the petty tyrants, are all-important. Warriors, on the other hand, not only have a well-thought-out strategy, but are free from self-importance. What restrains their self-importance is that they have understood that reality is an interpretation we make.

[You see, we need to be re-educated. And we need to educate ourselves... don't ask/wait for society to do it. You are your responsibility. No one owes you anything. Human rights? I don't know what those are except to say that they are personal subjective agreements just like religions, dogma, law, card games, etc... A warrior doesn't have rights. S/he is alive and makes of that life what s/he will. Anytime we talk about rights, we talk about someone else having to give them to us, having to honor or respect them... that's bs... again you are going outside for what lies within. You are in the band-aid world of temporary fixes. Why not seek the root, the cure? It is in you, not anyone else. Govt can't give it to you... guru can't give it to you...]

Petty tyrants take themselves with deadly seriousness while warriors do not. What usually exhausts us is the wear and tear on our self-importance. Any man who has an iota of pride is ripped apart by being made to feel worthless.
To tune the spirit when someone is trampling on you is called control. Instead of feeling sorry for himself a warrior immediately goes to work mapping the petty tyrant's strong points, his weaknesses, his quirks of behavior.
To gather all this information while they are beating you up is called discipline. A perfect petty tyrant has no redeeming feature.
Forbearance is to wait patiently--no rush, no anxiety--a simple, joyful holding back of what is due.
A warrior knows that he is waiting and what he is waiting for. Right there is the great joy of warriorship.
Timing is the quality that governs the release of all that is held back. Control, discipline, and forbearance are like a dam behind which everything is pooled. Timing is the gate in the dam.
Forbearance means holding back with the spirit something that the warrior knows is rightfully due. It doesn't mean that a warrior goes around plotting to do anybody mischief, or planning to settle past scores. Forbearance is something independent. As long as the warrior has control, discipline, and timing, forbearance assures giving whatever is due to whoever deserves it."