PDA

View Full Version : sodium hydroxide and creation of ens

Kali Das
08-01-2013, 01:29 PM
i was wondering if its ok too use sodium hydroxide in place of pottasium carbonate in creation of the ens?
Also, whilst I understand there is some danger with store bought carbonate (someone was writing that mercury is used in the process of its creation, rendering it unsuitable for internal consumption). Does this also apply to sodium hydroxide? Is there a way to test for the prescence of mercury before I use it?
Thanks, all.

ghetto alchemist
08-03-2013, 04:14 PM
i was wondering if its ok too use sodium hydroxide in place of pottasium carbonate in creation of the ens?

I donīt know how to make ens.
But I am the person who made the post that you read about mercury in supermarket lye (lye is sodium hydroxide).
And all cheap lye is likely to be tainted with mercury, I donīt know about potassium carbonate though.

What I do know however is that potassium carbonate is most of what is left after you burn a plant to ashes.
And when you add water to the potassium carbonate it turns to potassium hydroxide.
And potassium hydroxide should be a suitable substitute for sodium hydroxide.
So whichever of those two that you need for making ens, you might just calcine your favourite plant material and be confident of no mercury.

Is there a way to test for the prescence of mercury before I use it?
I have seen mercury test kits in the local health food store, they are designed for urine I think, but might be worth a shot for
any medicines that you want to test. I live in Australia, so not sure about everywhere else.
Regards
G Alchemist

solomon levi
10-09-2013, 02:56 AM
I don't know. Is the pH too much then? Does NaOH pull more stuff, perhaps additional unwanted stuff due to higher pH?

If you have your plant in the alcohol and then add NaOH until you see the separation, that is the goal.
Does it matter how you get there??? maybe??
What do you think/feel?