PDA

View Full Version : Alchemy Forums is back!!!

Awani
10-05-2013, 01:50 AM
After a lot of problems and troubles we are back. We have done many upgrades, always with some problems, but NEVER with such problems as upgrading to 5.0... vBulletin has really released a shit product. Read more anti-rants here: http://vbtruth.com

Anyway after 300/400 dollars in the trash (although 150 of this money went to the tech people who saved us so vBulletin only stole about 200) we have reverted to the old version, but also not. We are now in a better version of 4.0 than previously. Now we have a front page when you arrive at the forums (this one (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/content.php)), which is perfect for new comers to read the rules and also some tips of good threads for beginners so they can navigate. The people already familiar with the forums only need to click on the logo or on the 'forum' button to arrive in the forums. There is also a column of the recent posts which is handy.

There is also a possibility to have your own blog and also the option to write articles. I have not investigated these features so I don't know how good they are, but I am sure we can make use of them. Try them out and we can discuss if we need them or in what way they will be used? Trial and error.

BAD NEWS
All the PM and POSTS in the last month are lost I am afraid, so if you can remember what you have posted please re-post it. There was no other way. It was either loose a month of posts or have a shitty forum... so I chose the former. There wasn't much activity anyway in the last month or so.

If you cannot log in for some reason request new password or if that fails send me an e-mail: info (at) deviadah.com where you state your username and I'll send you a new password (which you can change once you log in).

So I hope all the bugs and issues are gone now, and if not PM me. Whatever issues might still exist they are a drop in the ocean compared to the 5.0 version.

vBulletin does not do a refund so the money is lost, but a lesson is learned. What is the lesson? Well, if we ever in the future discover that the current version is broken or hacked or something we will move everything to another platform, not vBulletin...

But we deal with that day when it comes.

We have had many obstacles in all the years this forum has existed, bugs, hacks, attacks, bad upgrades but in the end we always come out on the other side. This is because alchemy can't be destroyed because you can't destroy that which is in constant transformation!

Please inform all your friends you've made here that we are back!

Also thanks to all the donors... your donations are still safe... they will be used for the yearly fees.

:cool:

Illen A. Cluf
10-05-2013, 02:25 AM
Glad to see the old format back! Much friendlier.

Awani
10-05-2013, 02:26 AM
And some of the bugs are gone (the ones I experienced like every time I posted I automatically double posted)!

And I really like the HOME button: http://forum.alchemyforums.com/content.php

And we are friends again and not subscribers.

:cool:

Andro
10-05-2013, 03:32 AM
I want to personally AND publicly thank Dev for navigating through this ordeal and bring the ship home to a new shore :)

I also want to deeply thank everyone who has contributed their insight, experience and wisdom over the years.

This place has been to me a major source of education and resources for a few good years, and also basically my main digital home.

So THANK YOU and Welcome Back to us all!

Lunsola
10-05-2013, 04:28 AM
Great job fixing it Dev. You definitely made the right call on going back to v4. I really missed the layout and especially the colors, purple has always been a favorite of mine.

It's a shame to see vBulletin go down this road. Glad you have a backup plan though.

Feels like home again :)

solomon levi
10-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Yay!

Krisztian
10-05-2013, 07:58 PM
It goes to show that 'new' doesn't always mean better. Back to the future, I guess.