PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Center of the Universe?

Awani
10-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Actually didn't know this...

There is no centre of the universe! According to the standard theories of cosmology, the universe started with a "Big Bang" about 14 thousand million years ago and has been expanding ever since. Yet there is no centre to the expansion; it is the same everywhere. The Big Bang should not be visualised as an ordinary explosion. The universe is not expanding out from a centre into space; rather, the whole universe is expanding and it is doing so equally at all places, as far as we can tell. - source (http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html)

:cool:

zoas23
10-09-2013, 11:52 PM
So... Giordano Bruno was right!

Awani
10-10-2013, 12:13 AM
People that are murdered in the name of science/religion usually are.

Andro
10-10-2013, 12:51 AM
Where is the center of the universe?

IMO, it would be impossible to come up with a 'wrong' answer to this question :)

solomon levi
10-10-2013, 08:02 AM
i was gonna say there can be no center to an infinity.

Krisztian
10-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Or, . . . center is only there where consciousness is! That's the compass.

Awani
10-10-2013, 10:12 PM
T. McKenna talked about the Transcendental Object at the End of Time... maybe that is the centre?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqAaBetmvxc

Ghislain
10-15-2013, 09:16 PM
The way I like to look the Universe is like a puff of smoke.

If you see a puff of smoke in a stable environment where it can linger long enough
to contemplate, try and decide where the centre is. You can see it expanding but
where was its origin...unless you were there at the begining you cannot say.

The Universe may be the by-product of a flatulent giant and one day we will end up as a particle
in the nasal cavity of another giant who will turn to the first and ask..."Have you just farted?"
Could this explain the big bang; could our Universe be an unpleasent odour. :confused:

Just thinking out aloud!

Ghislain

Ilos
10-15-2013, 11:14 PM
I heard that galaxy's expand with the speed of light. So that's equal with the speed of light that we see traveling vise verse. The speed of sight is unnoticeable, by the time we look at the traveling light!? Maybe nothings moving :)

Kiorionis
10-16-2013, 04:19 PM
This makes sense. If the first bit of created matter is air (movement, vibrations) then there ought to be tons of it, which clearly there is given the size of the universe. Planets and stars? The rest of the elements :)

Ghislain
10-16-2013, 08:21 PM
To get things into perspective lets look at the speed we are talking of when we talk of
the "speed of light" (c).

c = 300,000,000 meters p/s or 300,000 kilometers p/s. The world is 38,400 kms around the equator.
This means light can travel around the world 7.8 times in one second; approximately

The centre of our galaxy alone is 26,000 light years from Earth.

Now taking into account there are 86,400 seconds in a day, 31,536,000 seconds in a year, 6500
leap years in 26k years and light travels 300 million meters in one second then from Earth to the
centre of our galaxy is:

20,498,400,000,000,000,000,000 kilometers or 20,498.4 Quintillion kilometers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/Hubble_ultra_deep_field_high_rez_edit1.jpg/220px-Hubble_ultra_deep_field_high_rez_edit1.jpg

The Hubble Ultra-Deep Field shows over 10,000
galaxies in a mere 0.000024% of the sky.

Not sure if I got that right or why I wrote it, but can we even begin to think about the Universe
when what we look at may not even be there anymore; if it is even there at all.

Ghislain

Krisztian
10-17-2013, 03:17 AM
. . . but can we even begin to think about the Universe when what we look at may not even be there anymore; if it is even there at all.

Or, one begins to question does it change by the way we chose to look at it? With what lens of theory we make it come alive.

I heard that galaxy's expand with the speed of light. So that's equal with the speed of light that we see traveling vise verse. The speed of sight is unnoticeable, by the time we look at the traveling light!? Maybe nothings moving :)

I suspect that there's also realities beyond the light.

Ghislain
10-17-2013, 07:13 AM
What if everything in the Universe is shrinking, apart from free space, then it would
appear to us that the universe is expanding...perhaps that is our fate we will shrink
to a singularity and go out like the spot in the middle of an old TV set. :)

Ghislain

Andro
10-17-2013, 07:54 AM
we will shrink to a singularity and go out like the spot in the middle of an old TV set. :)

As if we weren't that 'singularity' to 'start' with :)

And yes, but (perhaps unfortunately) there is that built-in unyielding reset function, back into perceived/apparent multiplicity, all over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... again :(

So, I suggest that the center of the 'universe' is wherever I am, scale-invariantly :p

On the other hand, it's all fun and games until someone loses a frickin' I :cool:

So no I = Game Over? Or is restart (iStart :)) unavoidable?

What do you think?

Ghislain
10-17-2013, 07:06 PM
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... again

That’s Samsara

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/filepicker/D1GaFFe8QnSK1uiroKbn_samsara.jpg

The Wheel of Life

http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/b/birth/graphics-birth-490461.gif

You can’t get off till you get the message.

I guess you could always shoot the Stork. :)

Ghislain

Ghislain
10-18-2013, 04:03 AM
I know this thread is about the location of the centre of the Universe,
but to have even an inkling as to where an answer may come from
first we have to try and understand what the Universe is.

I just watched the video below and although a little crude it is beautiful
in its simplicity.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iZJb6yFDKIw

Our brain cannot comprehend the true vastness of the Universe and so it encapsulates it
into a much smaller bubble that we feel more comfortable with.

I hope the video has managed to burst that bubble for you so we can understand how
insignificant we truly are and what a privilege it is to be a part of such wonder.

Ghislain

Ghislain
10-18-2013, 08:09 AM
How little we actually know.

I thought quantum physics was hard to understand, but understanding what the Universe
is knocks spots off that.

Below is another video just to show how small our understanding is.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kV33t8U6w28

Ghislain

Krisztian
10-19-2013, 07:18 PM
. . . what a privilege it is to be a part of such wonder.

How true!

Ilos
11-15-2013, 02:06 AM
Hey guys,
I thought of making a new thread about this but than I thought that its related to what we discussed till now. For some reason I think that it makes a bit of sense.
Watch the video till the end :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

Ghislain
11-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Ilos that clip comes from the film,”What the Bleep Do We Know!?” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioONhpIJ-NY) A good watch
if you haven’t seen it.

There is another clip just as mind entertaining from the same film called, Flatland ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWyTxCsIXE4).
Check that out.

Ghislain

Edit: here you can see a way you can try the two slit experiment at home and the
way you can collapse the pattern and return it.

DIY Two Slit Experiment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-6St1rDbzo)

Ilos
11-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Hey thank you Ghislain,
I think that I have seen that movie a very long time ago but never with elaboration, if I can say.
First time I saw Dr. Quantum was from this video The Holographic Universe (Part One) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMBt_yfGKpU) This is another good elaboration of films that touches a point, a point that its again related to the topic we discussed.
:)

Awani
02-14-2015, 07:42 PM
The Universe may be the by-product of a flatulent giant and one day we will end up as a particle in the nasal cavity of another giant who will turn to the first and ask..."Have you just farted?" Could this explain the big bang; could our Universe be an unpleasent odour. :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmD9ZWDUsNY

Cheetah Bunny
04-26-2016, 02:42 PM
Center: the point from which an activity or process is directed, or on which it is focused. maybe the centre of the universe is trying to tell us we can create our own lol we CAN, Fly!!!!

Coleridgean
11-30-2016, 04:59 AM
If the universe is just the three-dimensional hypersurface of a four dimensional hypersphere, the hypersphere always expanding with time, yielding a lager and larger hypersurface, then the center of the universe wouldnt so much be a point as it would be the beginning of time

Awani
11-30-2016, 01:14 PM
If the universe is just the three-dimensional hypersurface of a four dimensional hypersphere, the hypersphere always expanding with time, yielding a lager and larger hypersurface, then the center of the universe wouldnt so much be a point as it would be the beginning of time

That makes sense... and it would also be the end of time. Eventually (from our relative perspective). Another view could be that it resides in our own direct conscious experience. I am not talking about egoism "don't think you are the center of the universe"... more like perhaps "you" are.

Coleridgean
12-03-2016, 05:09 PM
That makes sense... and it would also be the end of time. Eventually (from our relative perspective)

I think it COULD also be the end of time. The Philosopher's Stone has the precept that the "wheel comes full circle". But some scientists claim the Universe will continue to expand. Others claim it will collapse back to a single point. Depending on the gravity of all that dark matter.

The other thing is, maybe what we consider to be linear time is actually a measure more like Zeno's Paradox, so we dont ever reach beyond the moment where the universe begins to collapse again, even though it does.

Dwellings
12-03-2016, 05:35 PM
IMO, Earth is the Geometric centre of the universe and the universe is isotropic with respect to Earth.

See Airy's Failure and Varshini Quasar papers.

As for the spiritual centre, it is the absolute frame of reference where each point is a centre with infinite radius.

Andro
12-03-2016, 06:17 PM
My reply to the question of this thread:

The Center IS everywhere.

All that IS NOT ---> nowhere ---> Now/Here = Time/Space = Maya, Illusion, etc...

ArcherSage
12-03-2016, 06:18 PM
I envision the start of the universe like dropping a pebble into water. It will expand outwards in all directions, and we are still witnessing the ripple effect which is why the universe is growing still. However it is infinitely large in the way that it never stops growing, it is bigger each day than the day before. Therefore the center of the universe would be wherever the point of reference is from, to the observer you are the center. The same reason the sun is at the center of the solar system, so is any point of reference the center of the universe, the sacred point within a circle, the monad.

zoas23
12-03-2016, 07:11 PM
My reply to the question of this thread:

The Center IS everywhere.

All that IS NOT ---> nowhere ---> Now/Here = Time/Space = Maya, Illusion, etc...

Similar to Pascal in his "Pensées":

Let man then contemplate the whole of nature in her full and grand majesty, and turn his vision from the low objects which surround him. Let him gaze on that brilliant light, set like an eternal lamp to illumine the universe; let the earth appear to him a point in comparison with the vast circle described by the sun; and let him wonder at the fact that this vast circle is itself but a very fine point in comparison with that described by the stars in their revolution round the firmament. But if our view be arrested there, let our imagination pass beyond; it will sooner exhaust the power of conception than nature that of supplying material for conception. The whole visible world is only an imperceptible atom in the ample bosom of nature. No idea approaches it. We may enlarge our conceptions beyond all imaginable space; we only produce atoms in comparison with the reality of things. It is an infinite sphere, the centre of which is everywhere, the circumference nowhere

Who was plagiarizing the Book of the 24 Philosophers:

God is an infinite sphere whose centre is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere.

Which was plagiarizing Nicholas of Cusa:

All these [points] are exhibited by the infinite circle, which is eternal, without beginning and end, indivisibly the most one and the most encompassing. Because this circle is maximum, its diameter is also maximum. And since there cannot be more than one maximum, this circle is most one to such an extent that the diameter is the circumference.
Now, an infinite diameter has an infinite middle. But the middle is the center. Therefore, it is evident that the center, the diameter, and the circumference are the same thing.

Which was a derivation from this idea of the same book:

In the preceding [passages] I have shown the sole and very simple Maximum. And [I have shown] that [the following] are not this Maximum: the most perfect corporeal figure (viz., the sphere), the most perfect surface figure (viz., the circle), the most perfect rectilineal figure (viz., the triangle), the most perfect figure of simple straightness (viz., the line). Rather, the Maximum itself is beyond all these things. Consequently, we must leave behind the things which, together with their material associations, are attained through the senses, through the imagination, or through reason-[leave them behind] so that we may arrive at the most simple and most abstract understanding, where all things are one, where a line is a triangle, a circle, and a sphere, where oneness is threeness (and conversely), where accident is substance, where body is mind (spiritus), where motion is rest, and other such things. Now, there is understanding when anything whatsoever in the One is understood to be the One, and, consequently,anything whatsoever in the One [is understood to be] all things. And you have not rightly left behind the sphere, the circle, and the like, unless you understand that maximal Oneness is necessarily, trine—since maximal Oneness cannot at all be rightly understood unless it is understood to be trine