PDA

View Full Version : Multiplication

black
10-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi All,
Recently, I have been reading about the Alchemic red oil. Some authors write about multiplication of the oil in quantity as well as quality. I think I understand what is meant by multiplication in quantity but I am not so sure about the multiplication in quality. Is there anyone that can add any light on this subject?
Regards,
Black

TUNGSTEN
10-28-2013, 05:53 PM
pure gold?, or pure alkahest?, I suppose gold must be purified many times as alchemical texts says

Kiorionis
10-28-2013, 10:00 PM
I would think a multiplication in quality is how much bang for your buck :cool:

Salazius
10-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Multiplication in quantity is called "augmentation".
Multiplication is always for quality. I.e, a new cycle of colours by adding Mercury Phi, to it.

black
10-29-2013, 11:26 AM
pure gold?, or pure alkahest?, I suppose gold must be purified many times as alchemical texts says

Hi Tungsten,

Yes, I agree. This is my understanding that the gold must be purified, putrefied, refined, dissolved, volatilized ...many, many times as they say.

Black

black
10-29-2013, 11:32 AM
I would think a multiplication in quality is how much bang for your buck :cool:

Hi Kiorionis,

Bang for buck sounds good, but how much bang can we get?

Can we just keep going, or is there a limit???

Black

black
10-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Multiplication in quantity is called "augmentation".
Multiplication is always for quality. I.e, a new cycle of colours by adding Mercury Phi, to it.

Hello Salazius,

Thank you for the clarification of this particular terminology. The technical jargon in alchemy has always been one of the greatest hurdles for me on this journey.

I think that I have read somewhere that the "augmentation" is ad infinitum. I was wondering if this was also the case for the multiplication?

Black

Salazius
10-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Augmentation is like making bread, so yes, in a way it is "ad infinitum", we call that perpetual mine. It can be done, for 1. the Stone, 2. for the powder of transmutation. For multiplication, IMO no. it's not infinite. There is an end to it. It's a vertical process. Augmentation is an horizontal one.

black
11-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Augmentation is like making bread, so yes, in a way it is "ad infinitum", we call that perpetual mine. It can be done, for 1. the Stone, 2. for the powder of transmutation. For multiplication, IMO no. it's not infinite. There is an end to it. It's a vertical process. Augmentation is an horizontal one.

That has cleared up a few points for me, and I'm sure for many others that will read this post. Thank you Salazius.

Black.

Salazius
11-01-2013, 04:00 PM
You're welcome guys :)

Arrakis
11-06-2013, 03:16 AM
As long as I know, alchemical multiplication is exclusively for quality, there's no increase of quantity. The other fact is that each multiplication makes the Stone more volatile. It goes from solid to liquid and there's a point (7th multiplication) in wich starts becoming volatile, ethereal, so there's a risk of loosing the Stone.
Arrakis

Salazius
11-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Yes, for the wet path there is a limit, it is said to be 9 multiplications for the dray path. In fact, there is a limit because of two things : one, as you stated, it is more and more volatile, and two, the multiplication process is too quick to be done an 8th time more.

Arrakis
11-07-2013, 05:54 AM
That's right, it is said that each multiplication is more and more brief. Some say that in certain ways it can be done "ad infinitum", but that's against logic, as in all cases there must be a point in which multiplications are out of control.

Arrakis