PDA

View Full Version : The Obligatory Introduction

DonSweet
12-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Well ... here I am ... although I've been here all along ... fifty-seven years worth so far.

As for alchemy, you could say I was born one, an alchemist that is.

I think one critical thing that happens to anyone finding a path of discovery, whatever it may be, usually has an early onset -- pre-natal? -- of questioning, literally, a predisposition for it. I guess I'm suggesting that it has to be in your nature.

By age fifteen, I had a full-blown chemistry lab ... not a "chemistry set" mind you ... but a full-blown lab. One day I'll see if I can find the only surviving photo of it and post it here. I still have a small collection of some of the glassware and equipment and have had it prominently displayed in my living room for decades.

Interestingly, my life path since then hasn't been in the lab. It's been -- I suppose -- where it should have been, which was [re]learning about the physical world -and- exploring my ethereal existence, my non-physical aspects. All that being the bulk of my adult life journey.

Twenty-six of those forty-one or forty-two years has been deeply involved with Native American spirituality and philosophy. It's been an interesting journey, too. There are many parallels to alchemy in their spiritual approach, which as it turns out is also mine. In essence, the individual is the flask and the distillation takes place within one's self.

Also as it turns out, I was as equally destined to that Native American path as I was to Alchemy. Both were my "nature." Perhaps more on that later.

To emphasize, my personal nature is in that ethereal flask of Native philosophy, but it is also in the lab in the actual flask.

In my mind, Alchemy "paraphrases" the spiritual. You are physically manifesting it. After all, we live in both physical and non-physical. Physical manifestation is a gift, and one to be cherished *and* explored, which Alchemy allows. In fact, that is its essence.

I'll take a momentary leap here and say that, in my perspective, the act of alchemical practice, in all its variations, mirrors Creation itself. And, expanding on that concept, will contend that any creator in any format or genre can also be categorized as an "alchemist." It is merely alchemy "of a sort." I make this statement as a life-long traditional photographer (still working in the medium).

But my personal focus has recently slammed ... literally abruptly ... back to the alchemical laboratory. About two months ago (this being almost Christmas), a friend, having seen the collection in my living room, gifted me with a triple-neck boiling flask he had found in a house he was selling. This triggered an energetic frenzy, literally a flow of energy, that I had not anticipated. I've literally been overwhelmed ... loving it ... but a bit aghast at how quickly it's all happening.

At this moment, I find my house filling with glassware, my hobby room rapidly being converted into a laboratory, and books on alchemy occupying my sparse spare time.

I simply cannot help myself.

So here I am.

Same trail ... different path ... but one I've always known.

Hello everyone.

-- Don Sweet

Andro
12-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Hello Don Sweet!

What a beautiful (and Sweet) introduction!

Thank you for taking the time to write it, and WELCOME to Alchemy Forums!

Ghislain
12-21-2013, 08:15 AM
An amazing intro Don Sweet.

Glad you came :)

Ghislain

Awani
12-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Welcome!

:cool:

theFool
12-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Welcome here!

At this moment, I find my house filling with glassware, my hobby room rapidly being converted into a laboratory, and books on alchemy occupying my sparse spare time.
Hm, sweet, we need experimentalists :)

Krisztian
12-21-2013, 07:38 PM
. . . By age fifteen, I had a full-blown chemistry lab ... not a "chemistry set" mind you ... but a full-blown lab. . . .

Is that a family thing?

Twenty-six of those forty-one or forty-two years has been deeply involved with Native American spirituality and philosophy.

I also live near/among aboriginals of this region, and find their stories and spiritual practices quite beautiful. But the level of addiction of various sorts also is something that one needs to see to believe. It's disintegration of a culture.

Well, as you probably know, if it is to stick, alchemy practice that is, then it's a journey for a lifetime, and beyond.

I also have a room away from 'all the action' in the house, and I make conscious practice to have few eyes peer in; well, in fact, no one knows it exists.

Welcome!

black
12-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Hello Don

as you are a photographer we may get to see some great pics of your lab work.
Welcome to the AlchemyForum.

DonSweet
12-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the welcomes and the comments.

theFool ... That's what I'll be all about in the coming months/years. At first I'll be doing simple distillations and some equally simple herbal extractions ... as a warm-up ... then follow my heart from there. Note taking -not my strongest suit- will be a goal and I'll be happy to share them here.

Krisztian ... No, not a family thing, really. I come from blue collar working class and I think I threw my family a little when I started up with some fairly sophisticated things at an early age ... although, my father was fairly intelligent (as is my mother) and he went from janitor in a factory to design and production engineer in charge of a hundred employees in another. He was a bit confused by my interests, but never-the-less helped my buy a great deal of my equipment back then.

As for Native Americans, I'm East Coast (eastern Pennsylvania) and my exposure has been "some" to the reservations, but mainly through groups out here (as well as some eastern nations). I'm fully aware of tribal degradation, both present and historically, but I'm also intimately involved with aspects of the resurgence of their cultural and spiritual ways ... which are substantial. It's been reassuring to watch the progress, however slow, but it *is* happening.

As far as Alchemy "sticking" it's in my very nature. That will never be an issue. One of the things I eluded to in my initial post is that it's already been a lifetime journey. As you may know, alchemical practice ... the actual lab work ... is and should be a reflection of your Higher Self. So far, this life path has been -shall we say- refinement of that spiritual strength and, particularly, understanding. I simply would not be properly prepared for my return to the lab without the last forty years of experience.

As for peering eyes ... I completely understand. I will have a level of discretion, but frankly I have not and likely will not be secretive about my interests or activities. Family, friends and co-workers already know what I'm up to. Now, I won't be posting any billboards or have tours of the facility, but I realize it's high time Alchemy peeks out of the shadows. So far, reactions have been level-headed if not positive.

black ... I'll be happy to photograph my progress and post here. I have a bundle of steel rods sitting on my kitchen island ready to be drilled and welded (I'll do that myself) to make my equipment support framework. It will be 40"x40" and have six vertical and four horizontal rods. Drilling (notching at cross points) will tighten their overlap.

I'll stop back soon and post some photos. Pretty late here.

Thanks again for the welcome!

-- Don

DonSweet
12-23-2013, 02:03 AM
Ack ... Some link failures to photos. Back later to fix them.

Eshai
01-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Could I be so bold as to ask for an update on your recent energetic alchemy frenzy, Don? I must say, I am curious to see what you have going on.

DonSweet
01-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Eshai and all ...

Happy to update you Eshai. Sorry it took me a couple days to see your post.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod Note: Lab/Equipment-related topic, continued under Equipment (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?78-Equipment), in a new thread: DonSweet's Lab (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?3857-DonSweet-s-Lab).

DonSweet, if you want a different title for your new Lab & Equipment thread, please say so.

Also, everyone please see this: Introduction Threads (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?3858-Introduction-Threads).