PDA

View Full Version : DonSweet's Lab

DonSweet
01-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Mod Note: Lab/Equipment related, split/continued from DonSweet's Introduction Thread (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?3820-The-Obligatory-Introduction&p=32802#post32802).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've needed to gut and recondition my Hobby Room, which turned into the Storage Catch-All From Hell over the last several years.

I've moved my computer station from the dining room, where it shouldn't have been in the first place, to opposite my alchemy table, but not before emptying the Hobby Room and going so far as shampooing the carpet. My photography equipment is now neatly stacked on heavy-duty commercial shelving instead of sprawled all over creation.

The Alchemy Table is in its infancy, but it will end up with a propane source and a hood of some configuration. I'm still designing that. It may well end up as a smaller movable "scoop" device made from a heater duct, with a dryer-style exhaust hose leading to an exhaust fan in the ceiling.

I've also completed and hung my Lattice, made from 40" x 7/16th soft steel rod, with six verticals and four horizontals (so it's 40"x40"). I'll be adding a "floating" horizontal attached with bosses to place where needed.

I've had trouble linking Photobucket photos, but I have the Lattice work/construction posted, as well as side-by-side before-and-after photos of the work areas starting below. The photos seem to have posted in REVERSE, so click the LEFT arrow to follow the construction of the Lattice.

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/DonSweet11/media/SANY3386_zpseddb2623.jpg.html

Link works for me, so I hope it works for you.

For those of you who have a glance, you'll see how I put my Life Blood into my work.

Happy to answer any questions.

-- Don

black
01-10-2014, 10:49 AM
It's great to see you getting organized.

I like the photos they tell so many stories.

Andro
01-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Nice! And neat! (for now... but when it eventually gets messy, make sure you label everything, otherwise it won't be long before you forget what's what :))

I also see in the photos that the place has been consecrated with an (apparently unintended) little blood sacrifice... Good Omen, I'd say!

May The Force be with you in your Temple of Workship!

DonSweet
01-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Thanks Androgynus (and black) ...

In cleaning out the hobby room and old computer desk, I made a mental note of labels I came across. Yes! Labeling has been on my mind. Once I start extractions and come up with tinctures and elixirs it'll be an absolute. I appreciate the nudge.

I've had my crystal about a month now, and it sits here by my side at the computer. I'll be taking a fair sized piece of walnut to a friend's shop to make a better, larger base for it. The wood comes from the property where I participate in a mixed Cherokee-Lakota sweat lodge.

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/DonSweet11/media/SANY3489_zpsda00c333.jpg.html

I'll also be hunting down a candle, something large. I'll make a base out of the walnut for that, too.

Still trying to decide which herb to work on first. I'm sure it will come to me. It may be rosemary. But my first operation will be to make a mug of morning tea (black) in my soxhlet extractor, and the second will be to distill red wine. I'm starting to assemble the pieces for my vent hood.

I contemplate/meditate on every move/build/purchase/acquisition before I make it. My will is only a small part of the process. I let these things obtain a life of their own.

Enjoy! ...

... literally meaning Entwine yourself with Joy.

-- Don