PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

Leon Corlew
01-11-2014, 03:38 AM
Hello everyone! I'm a college student at SUNY Plattsburgh. I've been interested in alchemy and the occult (and really just obscured and esoteric knowlage) for quite some time. I've done some introductory reading on it as well as on Hermetics as a whole and decided to make an account here. I am interested in what you call the practical side of alchemy, the creation of the stone and other alchemical products. Due to the circumstances of my living arangements (dorm) I will likely be unable to operate a lab for some time (a shame on two fronts as I also love chemistry), until then I intend to read as much as I can on the subject and try to work out a reletively clear path from myself to the stone (or as the case may be, through myself to the stone). I look forward to discussing with and getting to know you all, perhaps even collaborating with or meeting some of you, who knows? I apologise for my excessive use of parenthesis and wish you all a good day!

black
01-11-2014, 04:27 AM
Welcome Leon Corlew

Awani
01-11-2014, 04:50 AM
Welcome!

:cool:

Andro
01-11-2014, 05:47 AM
Hello Leon!

What are you studying at college?

Also, you could spend the lab-less years reading a lot of books about Alchemy, the RAMS collection is probably a must, and there are some excellent recommendations in Alchemical Texts (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?15-Alchemical-Texts).

Besides, you could also apply the same principles to yourself directly (without a laboratory) if you resonate with Inner Alchemy.

You can also do some interesting lab work with improvised equipment, mostly made of stuff people usually already have at home. Check out Equipment (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?78-Equipment).

Welcome!

Leon Corlew
01-11-2014, 06:40 AM
What are you studying at college?

Something called Expeditionary Studies, which is essentially rock climbing, kayaking, and skiing. The apex (skill wise) for applicable jobs is the guiding industry. I will maybe take a second major in botany or mathmatics or something else, still a freshman, not sure. My rough plan is to work for several years at a job I enjoy until I have the money to go in with some of friends and buy some land. The general consensus is to form some sort of nearly or fully self-sufficient... commune I suppose? Not sure if the connotations of the words are correct but it's close enough. I'd also like to write.

Also, you could spend the lab-less years reading a lot of books about Alchemy, the RAMS collection is probably a must, and there are some excellent recommendations in Alchemical Texts (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?15-Alchemical-Texts).

This is what I had in mind. Thanks for the recommendations.

Besides, you could also apply the same principles to yourself directly (without a laboratory) if you resonate with Inner Alchemy.

I do to some extent, need to do some reading and clarify some fundamentals. I actually have a friend in town (currently in Ithaca for break) who does this, may talk to him.

You can also do some interesting lab work with improvised equipment, mostly made of stuff people usually already have at home. Check out Equipment (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?78-Equipment).

Now that I think of it, most of the processes I have seen described here are primarily limited to distilation, calcination, and application of slow heat, all of which could be achieved with a hotplate and some simple glassware, perhaps I will not be labless for long. Thank you for pointing that out.

Andro
01-11-2014, 06:50 AM
[...]until I have the money to go in with some of friends and buy some land.
The general consensus is to form some sort of nearly or fully self-sufficient... commune I suppose?
Not sure if the connotations of the words are correct but it's close enough. I'd also like to write.

If this is the case, then most definitely check out The LAB (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?1452-The-LAB) :)

Krisztian
01-11-2014, 05:44 PM
. . . Due to the circumstances of my living arangements (dorm) I will likely be unable to operate a lab for some time (a shame on two fronts as I also love chemistry), . . .

If this is indeed your path, then doors will open for you, unknown at present, that will allow you to accomplish what you want. If it's not, then it'll be seen as a "stage" in your life when you entertained such thoughts, that's all. Either way is alright.

The path of alchemy is a mysterious one, at times. If I were you I would seek out someone who already seriously dabbles in lab-work and ask for 'tuition'.

. . . until then I intend to read as much as I can on the subject and try to work out a reletively clear path from myself to the stone (or as the case may be, through myself to the stone). I look forward to discussing with and getting to know you all, . . .

This Art is defined by perseverance not rashness, a humble heart, and an unwavering focus to bring fruition from "failures".

Great enthusiasm you have, Leon.

Welcome!

Leon Corlew
01-13-2014, 08:07 PM
The path of alchemy is a mysterious one, at times. If I were you I would seek out someone who already seriously dabbles in lab-work and ask for 'tuition'.

I assume by tuition you mean tutoring, unless I'm misunderstanding. Do you know of anyone on this forum who lives in upstate NY?

And thank you.