PDA

View Full Version : Making and Installing a Moveable Mini Fume Hood

DonSweet
01-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Well ... the mini fume hood is installed and working.

It pays to have a basement with years of parts collected. All I had to purchase was a heater duct and a connector and the ventilation fan. I had everything else. I even had a heater duct, but it has a 6" inlet and I needed 4". Just over $20 total.

Got lucky with the arm lamp. I do canvas and upholstery work, use arm lamps on my sewing machines and this was a spare I've had around for years.

The arm obviously makes it possible for me to position the hood anywhere I need it on the lattice with ease. It goes quite low and I can even change the mount to another shelf for additional versatility. Over time I may add a spring retainer for the flexible vinyl hose to hold it up and out of the way. But I want to see how it does first.

Here's the photo series ... and remember, PhotoBucket likes to load photos BACKWARDS, so click the LEFT arrow to follow the progression ... comments welcome ...

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/DonSweet11/media/SANY3498_zpsa057008d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=76

Krisztian
01-19-2014, 08:11 PM
Thanks for that post. Ventilation is a factor that is to be sure! I enjoyed what you did in your room-area.

I had to use one of those ion generator equipments I picked up for a bargain because of smells 'invading' the rest of the house. People - guests, friends, etc. - were asking where these smells are coming from.

Eshai
05-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Very creative snorkel hood! Looks perfect for venting heat. I know I am rather late hitting this thread, but nevertheless... (and I'm sure you probably already know this, though others may not) as long as you don't do anything that creates acidic fumes, you'll be good, as the acid will eat away your flex duct and destroy your blower motor.

DonSweet
05-25-2014, 06:07 AM
Thanks Eshai ...

I'm a long way away from anything acidic. It'll be mostly herbal for the foreseeable future.